Is My RAD Out of Control?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

ohpaos and GlennConti like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I kinda want a gillette president myself so its hard to say no one if its available at a price that's right for you.
    As Dale said the 1934 is a great razor. I have one I find it quite aggressive compared to my other razors but it does look good.

GlennConti likes this.
  3. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Thanks for the props on the collection. But, if I had two toggles of the same type I know my RAD would be out of my control. My particular version of this disease doesn't allow me to get doubles. Notice that the two toggles are different; one has a red dot (and is longer) and the other doesn't have a red dot (and is shorter). Just me pointing this out to you shows how bad my disease is. :)

L1020711.JPG

4. GlennConti

+1

5. GlennConti

Thank goodness that my taste in wine is not that sophisticated. I enjoy wine but about $50 - $100 is about my upper limit. Anything above that is wasted on me.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Oh I noticed, but it's still two Toggles you lucky dog....:) I read somewhere there is a slight difference between them,but I can't remember what it said or where I saw it...I think you have your RAD as under control as it can be...Better than mine is anyway...
    I'm on the opposite end since I mostly can't afford the more expensive stuff, so I will buy multiples of what I can afford. I have multiples of Gillette Fat Handle Techs, 40's-50's Aristocrats,FatBoys,Slims,Gem 1912's,ER 1924's,Rolls Razors,Valet Auto Strops,Durham Duplex DE's and shavette's. So whose crazier you or me, I don't know??:confused: I have well over a hundred razors altogether, I have almost 20 Straight Razors/Shavettes's and I can barely shave and don't particularly enjoy shaving with either a Straight or shavette....:happy097: So don't worry, as long as the bills are paid, around here your as normal as they come.....:)

alpla444 likes this.
  7. GlennConti

I think we are all just "avid collectors". And, I think I'm in really good company too. :)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

As long as your collecting.....:D

DSCN1304 (2).jpg
    Gold & Silver Rolls Imperial

9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a wonderful idea to focus on a niche or theme, it keeps your collection focused and you become an expert on a niche too.

I used to be a hardcore vinyl collector, I collected mainly different editions of one album (Beach Boys - Pet Sounds) until I could tell the difference between a first Los Angeles pressing or New York pressing! As well as what particualr stampers were used to cut the wax over the years :)

:)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372454943.754972.jpg

GlennConti likes this.
  10. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

If I had the means I would only collect NOS Schick Injectors with the dummy blade still included. I would only collect E2 and G types too! Those are the razors that fascinate me
    The most now :)

GlennConti likes this.
  11. GlennConti

I just had a crazy idea. Please let me know what you think. I just bought a newly replated Rhodium D1 Red Dot Fatboy. Great right? I want to place it in a custom made case with the rest of the razors first pictured above. Problem. All the rest of the razors are gold. So this rhodium razor will stick out and not go with the set maybe? So here is my question; do I get this newly redone razor redone in gold? I don't want to put undue extra wear on the razor and the rhodium I hear is a tough finish. So removing it may also remove detail on the razor. I would only do it if I got great recommendations for a replater. I hear Stan at Above The Tie is very good. But is it sacrilege to put this razor through the extra abuse? Here is what I'm talking about:

GilletteRedDotFB4Small.jpg GoldRazorCollectionSmall.jpg
    RazorCase2.jpg

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I understand your dilemma. For the sake of the integrity of the "gold" display collection, I'd feel compelled to gold plate the razor. Pity it has the rhodium already.
    What are the odds of acquiring another identical razor but with its original finish? Certainly there are buyers who'd love the rhodium-finish on that razor.

178-bplatoon and GlennConti like this.
  13. GlennConti

And the rhodium replate job is excellent. They repainted the numbers, the red dot and the black collet. It would all be for nothing. But it doesn't match.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Too bad it isnt an F1 or I'd offer to take it off your hands...;)

GlennConti likes this.
  15. GlennConti

It is a D1 which also happens to be my birth year/quarter razor too.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So you're truly "vintage"...;)
    ...same age as my older bro. My BYR (birthyearrazor) is F1; 2 years later...

Great collection, BTW. Simply beautiful.

GlennConti likes this.
  17. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I say if that particular razor originally was nickel plated, leave it Rhodium plated. It sounds like your original intent was to collect all versions of the Adjustables, therefore I'd say collect them. Put that one in a case with the others, then you would have a story as to why it's not with the other Adjustables... Or put it in the case with the gold ones and you'd have a story as to why it's not gold. Either way it creates interest and in its way, adds value to the collection. If it came in gold too - hell, replate it!

GlennConti likes this.
  18. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

I would say, leave it be! It's too beautiful like this.
    Ask your custom box maker to give the rhodium a special place in the box, right in the middle just a tiny bit higher or totally to the right in a seperated area...
    That's what I would do, just give it a little subtle extra attention.

GlennConti and Raven312 like this.
  19. GlennConti

I think it would be a waste to replate a perfectly fine razor. But I am still conflicted. An all gold set would be really glitzy and look cool. Also too, I guess if this is what I consider a problem I should be count my lucky stars. What I do in these situations is delay making a decision. The "problem" isn't going anywhere and doesn't have a deadline. Maybe a new fact will present itself and tilt me one way or another.

Tjebbe and feeltheburn like this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'd find another D1 FatBoy,preferably in poor shape plating wise and have that one replated in gold. Are as was mentioned find someone to make a trade with. I have several FatBoys myself,but all are D3...Good Luck on your quest......:)

[Edit] I forgot to tell you one of my FatBoys is gold plated it's a D3 though...As far as I know it's not a replate,so Gillette did make gold plated D's from the factory. Mine isn't a Red Dot however...