from the garden

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Double Edge Dougy, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Ive seen some great posts on bread, bacon, cigars, beer and liqour so wondering if you guys have anything growing...last year i had alot but ive kept it small this year. Ive got some cilantro struggling in the heat. Some nice green onions shooting up and my fav this year i have a little thai chili plant doing great. I ate one (i always eat the first one i pick) and that lil guy is a flame tjrower but its got a great flavor...last year did habenero but i think i like the thai better. It really dressed up my home made breakfast burritto this morning, black coffee on the side

Raven312, ohpaos and srpavko like this.
  2. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

No food, just flowers in mine. I live in a very ag-centric area so we have lots of great produce in town and at the farmers market.

ohpaos and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My wife is an avid gardener, so year-round she toils in our yard planting, watering, feeding & weeding, and my personal favorite, harvesting. We've been blessed to have a number of fruit trees (orange, pear, grapefruit, plum, peach) and shrubs (lemons & limes) that produce abundantly. Grapevines have completely covered the trellis and hundreds of tiny bunches of grapes are beginning to grow plump.

Aside from a number of beautiful flowers, in her garden this year (as in every year) she has planted a broad variety of vegetables that seem to do well in the moderate northern California climate.
    Here's a quick list off the top of my head of what's growing:
    • tomatoes (4 types)
    • corn (2 types)
    • peppers (hot and mild; 6 varieties)
    • Squash (4 types)
    • Onions (2 types)
    • Leeks
    • Fava beans
    • brussel sprouts
    • Cabbage (green & red)
    • Garlic
    • Eggplant
    • Okra
    • Artichokes
    • Carrots
    • Greens (lettuces, chards, mustard, etc)
    • Herbs (rosemary, thyme, cilantro, sage, basil, thai basil, mint, etc)
    • Potatoes (3 varieties)
    • Melons

(left to right: Corn just starting; One of her 'starter' stations for seedlings (see loaded orange tree in back); one path through the dense foliage of potatoes, herbs, flowers; One of 5 planter boxes with things growing. In the next few months, we'll be busy harvesting so much, time to share with neighbors!)
    [​IMG]

CJames, srpavko, ohpaos and 2 others like this.
  4. Double Edge Dougy

Holyrolla, that is an impressive garden...seems luke you and the wife are living the good life! After your bacon post though im not suprised. Nice job. I dont have too many trees i got an olive tree that is too young to produce anything...an orange tree thats not too sweet ha. I had a promising avocado bearing fruit but it got too hot for it, had some pomegranite that i cut down...good fruit but messy messy trees ha

alpla444 and HolyRollah like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Gardening is her passion—I just try & keep out of her way, build the planter boxes, do the heavy liftng & stay out of her way. ;)
    Avocados are what my wife wants to grow. Need two trees though, to produce. We may be too hot for them here anyway. By the way, if you think pomegranate trees are messy, wait until that olive tree produces!

6. Double Edge Dougy

You might want to check out costco, that avocado said on the tag it didnt need another tree and sure enough i started to get some fruit but the central valley sun killed it, my brother has success with his avicado but he has shade for em....im goin to try and keep that olive pruined im also looking to plant dwarf trees to see if that helps me ive got my eye on a semi dwarf manderin

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'll take a peek at Costco, Doug. Supposedly, MOST avocado trees can be grown in the USDAs Hardiness Zones of "9b through 11"—which is good to know. So, depending where you're situated in the central valley, 'cados may or may not be duly suited. I'm right in the 9b range. My sister in Santa Barbara is in "10b-11" and her trees produce a bounty.
    For Hass avocados, the AGA recommends two for outdoors, just to ensure proper cross-pollination & keep the Hass 'undiluted' since they tend to cross-pollinate easily with other trees.
    [​IMG]

ohpaos and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  8. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Gorgeous, yummy gorgeousness, HolyRollah! It must be so satisfying for you & Mrs. Holy to grow your own veggies & smoke your own meats for your family.

I don't have land, but am fortunate to have a community garden nearby where we have cherry tomatoes & herbs. I help my mumsie with her flower beds (roses, mums,azaleas), so she lets me grow some recreational Nepeta cataria :D
    image.jpg

HolyRollah and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. My "garden" consists of Bonsai trees, which are beginning to take shape nicely.

ohpaos and HolyRollah like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Now THAT is one relaxed & contented cat!
    What is it about orange cats & their ability to simply make themselves comfortable in just about any circumstance or location? Such as our patio table....
    [​IMG]

ohpaos likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sara, we have good friends who are real Bonsai enthusiasts. They travel all over the west coast & to Hawaii to the bonsai shows, have quite a collection, and spend many hours tending those little trees. Amazing work, and God bless those who have the skill and patience!
    [​IMG]

12. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Bwaaaaaa! That handsome fellow looks to be naturally toked-up without the 'nip! Red-heads / Orangies / Gingers / Marmalades / Flames are very special creatures :) Willie (Flamepoint) is so chill that she's essentially "furniture that breathes" for much of the day.

HolyRollah likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Our recent spell of HOT weather (100-103°F) this past few days has certain expedited the growth of the grapes in our yard. If it keeps up, we'll be up to our elbows in raisins!
    One variety is plumping up nicely...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pink grapefruit in abundance. Not a BIG favorite in our house ( my wife & I love 'em—but I have to limit my intake, and we have plenty to give away.)
    Hard to find enough folks who like these, though...:(
    [​IMG]

Our berry plants like the heat, too. I just wish we had the thorn-less variety. ;)
    [​IMG]

14. voice940

voice940 Member

Good lookin gardens, guys!
    My back yard "used" to have a nice sized garden, which is now basically a mulberry orchard. 7 trees. Also growing raspberries, strawberries, onions, peppers (hot and mild), beans, peas, carrots, okra, spinach, lettuce, leeks, watermelon, cucumbers, horseradish, onions, chives, rhubarb, cilantro, wild asparagus, wild grapes, and also a couple apple trees that have yet to produce fruit. I failed at my attempt to grow blueberries (they don't like Nebraska soil).

Almost forgot. There's also an abundant supply of Peppermint and Spearmint plants that have taken over the back yard!

ohpaos likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Oh, and they WILL if you give 'em a chance! ;)

16. voice940

voice940 Member

Its okay. I LOVE mint juleps.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some of the early Saturday morning harvest.
    Cukes, zukes & two varieties of green beans...
    [​IMG]

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Here are some pics of my trees.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My Japanese maple, in autumn;
    [​IMG]

HolyRollah, swarden43 and PanChango like this.
  20. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Only tomatoes. The plants grow like weeds and seem to be immune to everything. Last year we had Tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries, eggplants, chili peppers,and they all fell victim to some kind of fungus- except the tomatoes which were left standing. Organic farming is much harder than it is made out to be... I also have two peach trees. Nothing ever happens to them.