Aggressive is better????

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Mr. Wonderful, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I have an R41 that is way too aggressive for me. I also have a fairly light beard, and with a feather blade in my Slant I can get a one pass BBS shave. I actually have to check to see if I put the blade in. I get the same results with Polsilvers. I wouldn't be too worried that it will be too aggressive for you. You won't have any problem selling it if you don't like it.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Goose!

Well played sir. Well played.

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

What were you shaving??:)-(

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Best description of BBS I've ever seen!

battle.munky likes this.
  5. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I'm like a broken record; I get my best shaves from my Merkur Futur - one month into DE shaving I saw one and had to have one, despite the warnings that they're not really for newbies. Me and that razor clicked; the length and weight of the handle made me instantly comfortable. I didn't disregard the warnings - I gave a healthy dose of respect to it and it rewarded me with a great shave. The only shaver I have that has come close is a Schick Injector. I'm hoping my straights give me the same or better quality shave, but that will take more time.

Tdmsu and feeltheburn like this.
  6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

How big is that razor compared to a Slim or Fatboy?

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Longer in the handle, heavier (not sure by how much), and some say the head makes it difficult to maneuver; I don't think so.

8. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

It's (to me) substantially bigger. The handle is 4.5" compared to 3.35" on the Fatboy and 3.5" on the Slim. The weight is 4.25 oz compared to 3 oz on the Fatboy and 2.5 oz on the Slim. To my hands, it's just right.

swarden43 likes this.
  9. David Tyler

David Tyler New Member

This is probably a stupid question but the higher you set your adjustable razor would the angle you hold it change? I have one and just haven't used it yet

Jasman likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My understanding is the higher number indicates a greater gap (exposure), and has no bearing on the angle. I hold the razor the same whether set to 1 or 9.

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I used my Futur most of last week. The most interesting thing to me about that razor is how little I feel the blade. Not sure exactly how it does that but it gives some nice comfortable shaves.

Raven312 likes this.
  12. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

The Futur's audible feedback is excellent.

13. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

While rare exceptions exist, generally, the only stupid question is the one left unasked. Thank you for asking this one, as several of us would not have known the answer of an experienced user had you not done so.

David Tyler likes this.
  14. Craig12

Craig12 Member

I finally got my technique down after a couple months of experimentation and different blades. I have even using a 4-5 setting. After reading this I may try something more aggressive. I'll let you know if I need some blood donations.

battle.munky likes this.
  15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Aggression isn't to be feared, it is to be respected. You'll know whether or not you prefer it to a more mild shave, I guarantee it.

Bird Lives, Raven312 and GDCarrington like this.
  16. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Embrace the journey. Each razor is like a different women. You have to learn what they like to get the most from them.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Guess it depends on where or whom said aggression is coming from.....if from the wife then I would say both respected and FEARED would seem well advised......But from a razor....I'm with you my man....I believe our natural survival instinct helps us find and adjust the razor angle as we encounter more blade or edge, to compensate....kind of makes every well made razor an adjustable.....But this is referring to well made and designed razors.....The broken or crap designed cheapos we run across now and again can leave the sink looking like a set from the movie Helter Skelter...:shocked003: ...But for the most part, all the good designed well made quality razors I've tried, with a little attention to detail will leave you with a great shave....and some naturally gifted shavers with that coveted 'Petting a Dolphin' stellar finish...;)

battle.munky likes this.
  18. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

This is a highly subjective question, and all answers probably are correct.

For me, and my 76 year old coarse whiskers, I prefer a medium aggressive razor (such as a Muhle R89) loaded with an aggressive Feather blade.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I agree. I mainly use straights, but when I use DE's I use Feather blades in the so-called mild razors. I set my Futur at 1.5 with a Feather or even the milder Astra SP.

I don't agree that a mild razor, even with a milder blade makes it harder to get a nice BBS shave. The first pass may seem to get closer, but it's all about progressive hair reduction and for me seems to take the same amount of passes, whether it's a full hollow or wedge straight razor, disposeable blade straight razor with blades that have more exposure (Feather Pro Super) or regular Feather or Kai blades, injector razors with the 3 or 4 types blades or the adjustable Schick or DE blade razors with more or less exposure.

I go for comfort of shave, not at how fast I get a close shave. I found the original Trader OC razor to be disturbingly aggressive and difficult to get a shave without cuts and the Barbarsol razor the same. Not worth the bother.

HolyRollah, Ryan B and Tdmsu like this.