OK-Ready to move to DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bobcat, Jul 21, 2013.

?

Gillette Vintage DE for a Beginner?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2013.
  1. Gillette Tech

34.4%
  2. Gillette Super Speed Flair Tip

37.5%
  3. Gillette Slim Adjustable

15.6%
  4. Gillette Super Adjustable

12.5%
  1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Hey Y'all-After getting more comfortable with soaps and brushes (much more fun testing to go), I am ready to acquire my first DE razor. I am looking at three options to start:
    1. Inexpensive-Cadet/RazorRock/Lord
    2. New EJ DE89
    3. Vintage Gillette
    I know I will have to perfect my technique and develop some new muscle memory. Do I go inexpensive to learn and then get "the razor" (I know-I will still probably end up with several :D), go with the EJ DE89 (or other) right away, or go Vintage with a Gillette?

For Vintage choices for a beginner, please vote in the Poll up above too.

Thanks for you patience and assistance. I know these questions are asked almost every day. I have been reading and searching.

Thanks,

Bob

2. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Gillette SS gets the most consistent love for folks asking for a good 1st DE shaver; adjustables are cited as prone to causing a new DE shaver to spend more time fiddling with the settings than getting comfortable with the technique.

Bobcat likes this.
  3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Get a Slim or Super Adjustable. That's like 9 razors in 1. Start out at about 3 and work up from there. Actually, any razor can be a beginner's razor. The basics apply to all DE razors. They have different aggression levels and blade angles, but the basic principles apply. Just my two cents. My face is different from yours, so this might or might not work for you.

Bobcat likes this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Also?
    1. Inexpensive-Cadet/RazorRock/Lord
    2. New EJ DE89
    3. Vintage Gillette

5. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

I use a Pre-war Tech with triangular holes that I find to be in the perfect aggression range for a daily use razor. The Lord L6 razors are nice as well :)

jabberwock likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Should I start all over I'd go for a vintage Gillette in good condition.

Why? Cheaper than any (most?) new 2013 models of equal quality, has soul from before Gillette went nuts and they look fabu! I love my SS '64 alas it is my Mühle R89 I use the most.

Vintage would be my choice.

Bobcat likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I agree on getting an adjustable. I suggested the Super Adjustable, because it's the only one with which I have any experience & I like it.

8. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

My suggestion is buy yourself a good sampler pack of blades. PM your address to me and I will send you a good starter Super Speed. It would help me with my problem of to many razors.

Raven312, macaronus, Bobcat and 11 others like this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I like vintage razors because I'm really into history. They were also built in a time when things were meant to last. Vintage Gillettes will easily last a few lifetimes with the proper care.

tuxxdk likes this.
  10. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Gillette Slim is less aggressive than the Super. But both work for me. For example I shave with the Slim at "7-7-5" and I shave with the Super-84 at "5-5-2" If you think you might want a milder razor go with the Slim. With the Super-84 I do my final pass at "2" so you can see I am almost out of room to set it lower. The Super is a tad less expensive than the Slim if that makes any difference. But in any case I would take Weeper Warrior up on his most generous offer. The Super Speed may just be perfect for you.

11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Great input so far!

WW-That is really generous of you! PM sent..........

Bob

macaronus likes this.
  12. mce00771

mce00771 Member

That is awesome of you! I am glad you are taking advantage of the offer Bobcat. I got my first razor (a Super Speed) the same way. The online community for wet shaving is fantastic. I love it here! Very generous Weeper Warrior.

macaronus and ohpaos like this.
  13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I hope to be on the other end eventually..........

alpla444 likes this.
  14. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I started with a '58 SS myself and love it. Very cool of WW to PIF one to you. I highly recommend a blade sampler, I lean towards the sharper blades myself. YMMV. If you don't take to a blade right off, set that brand aside and try it again in 6 months when you have improved your technique.

P.S. Good Luck in the NGA.

Bobcat likes this.
  15. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I'm very partial to adjustables so I would say either the Slim or Super Adjustables but all the Gillettes you listed are excellent razors.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Heres my input for what it's worth...Been DE shaving about 2 years. First razor was a Feather Popular TTO,second was an E3 FatBoy, liked the FatBoy much better than the Feather,my third razor was an EJ89, a gift from a friend,but I didn't like the handle as I found it overly slick with wet hands.. So I didn't use it much until I started to experiment with changing handles, at which time it became my all time favorite...

Anyway I've aquired over 100 razors(RAD hit me hard) DE,SE,Injectors and Straights over the last two years and the EJ89 with a Weber SS bullDog handle has remained my absolute favorite until just recently when a member sold me his spare SS Weber with the DLC coated shave head(THANKS geraldgordon) which has replaced the EJ, but unfortunately is no longer being sold from what I understand.....

So I would advise either going with an EJ89 or a vintage Gillette Fat Handle Tech...The SS Webers are still available and I.M.O. are a good deal for a SS razor, but cost a fair amount more than either the EJ or Gillette....Since you have both the SuperSpeed and Slim on your list, as a third alternative I'd consider the Slim which in my mind is an adjustable SuperSpeed and so would kill two birds with one razor so to speak..:D....

17. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I voted for an adjustable, but a Super Speed is a good option if you want to work on your technique before getting an adjustable. IMO you can get more bang-for-your-buck with a vintage Gillette in user-grade condition than getting a new razor, but you have to be patient to avoid overpaying. The EJ 89dl is a great razor also, it was my first DE and it does a great job, it could have been my only razor but I was bit by the RAD bug and now have several vintage DE's, SE's and injectors. For some reason I prefer to shave with vintage razors and like variety.

18. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I've used all of those razors mentioned in the OP and in the poll. All of those razors are excellent choices, but if I had to choose one then it would be the Tech (preference goes to the older, more aggressive Tech head, but the newer one is good too). The Tech is easy to use, inexpensive, and can be put onto a variety of handles.

A free super speed is never a bad thing and it is an excellent razor, the black handle super speed is one of my favorite razors.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

I voted Super Speed flair tip. I have tried a Slim Adjustable and like it and may eventually go with it, but I wanted to keep the variables to a minimum to start. So many variables go into this (technique, blade, cream/soap, etc.), that I didn't want to add 9 different adjustable settings into the mix to start with. I use a birth year (1962) Super Speed flair daily and think it is an excellent starter. I started with a cheap Concord (Lord clone) and thought it was a really good razor to start with too, but it is definitely on the cheaper side and won't last as long as the vintage Gillettes. If you don't end up liking a vintage razor, it is always neat to have it to add to a collection (if you get into collecting), whereas a new Merkur may not have the same collectability feel to it.

Raven312 likes this.
  20. StevenML

StevenML Active Member

Hi Bob, I would like to recommend you the excellent Rolls Royce chrome plated Jagger which is equivalent to the Muhle, and sligthly less aggressive than the Merkur standard head. As a beginner, I found it very difficult to shave with a relative's vintage Gillette Slim... Mea culpa! I was probably dialing too often and too much, so I couldn't find the correct angle. I think a non-adjustable razor would have then been the best choice for me. I've to add that I've never tried the Superspeed. Awesome razor, I'm looking for it, but difficult to find in good condition at a reasonable price (in Germany)...