Whiskey lovers

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Norseman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. StevenML

StevenML Active Member

For American whiskey, I like Jack Daniel's single barrel and the Maker's Mark brand.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Oh my! I went out and bought a bottle of Pendleton tonight and am thoroughly enjoying it right now. A strong caramel flavor with hints of cinnamon and maybe vanilla, all wrapped up in wonderful glass of whiskey. And smooth? Very much so. I'll be keeping this in the liquor cabinet. Thanks for the tip!

Kawika503 likes this.
  3. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

You know what they say..."once you go Pendleton, you never go back..." or something like that. Enjoy your "Penny"!

4. Dennis A

Dennis A New Member

I came across the Dalwhinnie whiskey a couple of years ago and it remains my favorite Scotch, although rather expensive. I did try other single malts as well and I like the "Glens" (Glenmorangie, Glenlivet or Glenfiddich)
    On the Bourbon side I prefer Maker's and for Irish I'd definitely go with Jameson.
    My preference is to have my whiskey served in a Glencairn glass, no ice and no water. To quote Dean Martin: "I'm an alcoholic, not an ice skater"
    After watching Mad Men, I tried out the Old Fashioned and after a couple of tries found out that when made with rye whiskey (Bulleit or Templeton) it is a real pleasure as well.

5. Hrolfr

Hrolfr Member

I am an Irish Whiskey Fan I am..... Jamesons is ok for a mix with cola.... Jamesons 12yr is good on the rocks Jamesons 18 is better but then RED BREAT is the best 13yr is smooth as 18 yr Jamesons and the 15yr Red Breast is extra smooth, Jamesons Vintage is the best and should be drunk neat no ICE unless you have those chill rocks that do not water down the whiskey. Red Breat is a single pot as opposed to a blend like most Irish Whiskey and is a little cheaper than the 12 and 18 yrs Jamesons. Jamesons Vintage is awesome but a $200 - 250 a bottle not an everyday drink. :D

6. basil

basil Well-Known Member

My favorite drink is the Balvenie Portwood 21 year old. I just finished a bottle and I've got one just waiting for a special occasion to open.

My everyday choice is the Balvenie Doublewood 12yr. Smooth and wonderful!

7. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Balvenie Portwood?!

Heared lot of good things of this stuff...not cheap but Balvenie in general is fantastic.

I only tried the Balvenie Signature Edition and loved it.

8. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Yes the portwood is fantastic. I first tried it last year in London and i fell inlove with it.

Description taken from the Balvenie website:

The Balvenie PortWood Aged 21 Years

To create The Balvenie PortWood Aged 21 Years, a marriage of rare Balvenie is transferred to port casks, or pipes, which have held fine port wines. Here it is sampled regularly by The Balvenie Malt Master to ensure that just the right amount of character is imparted by the port casks, enhancing and developing the single malt whilst preserving its original characteristics. In duty free The Balvenie PortWood Aged 21 Years is non chill-filtered and bottled at a higher strength of 47.6% abv.​
    Tasting Notes

NOSE​
    A perfume of fruity and ripe raisin notes, backed by a nutty dryness​
    TASTE​
    Refined with remarkable character, it is creamy and silky with fruit, honey and spice notes.​
    FINISH​
    Long, gentle, nutty.​

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

I'm pretty new to this but I like glenlivet. If you haven't enjoyed a sidecar with glenlivet you are missing out my friends. I enjoy it as much as a great shave with no irritation. YMMV and all that.

I also enjoy Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey. This stuff is amazingly smooth , tastes great and is cheap.

10. SpcJWill

SpcJWill New Member

Whiskey is the liqour I drink but being a poor college student qauntity normally trumps quality most of the time but every now and again I save up for a small bottle of the good stuff.
    TTheeare only two ways for me to drink whiskey.
    1. Straight at room temperature
    2. Mixed in with my morning coffee ( specially if its a good honey whiskey that way I dont need the cream or sugar)

11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Occasionally I do favor a bit of Bulleit Rye with no pollutants added.

It's warm, smooth, spicy, and stands quite well all on it's own.

Absolutely perfect for sipping whilst setting outdoors on the deck in cool weather.

PanChango likes this.
  12. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I have been wanting to try some good Scotch Whisky for a while now. I gave up my binge drinking a few years ago, but I still enjoy the taste of whiskey and drink a glass of it mixed with Coke, sweet tea, or Dr. Pepper from time to time. My favorite whiskeys are Jack or Jameson, but recently I tried Evan Williams and have enjoyed it (especially for the price). I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 12 a few days ago, but have not tried it yet.

13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Glenlivet 12-yr is a good scotch IMO. I know it's sacrilege but I prefer mine with a couple ice cubes. If you like mixing your whiskey, I think Johnny Walker Red is the only one I've ever tried that mixed well with Dr Pepper. I don't like Johnny Walker straight though.

14. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

For my personal tastes, Cutty Sark beats all other blended Scotch whisky when it comes to mixing it with other ingredients. It's my go-to for a Perfect Rob Roy, for example.

15. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Islay stuff, Ardbeg being my top pick. The 10 is a go to but the Uigeadail is my favorite. I like Bruichladdich, Laphroag and Lagavulin as well. Outside Islay I like Highland Park 12 and some of the Glenmorangie expressions. Balvinnie Double Wood, some of the Macallans are also nice.

Each one is always drunk neat with maybe a touch of water.

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am rather opinionated when it comes to whiskey. I have gone through many phases and tasted countless different styles and brands. I don't much like Scotch(too peaty), Irish, Canadian (blech), or even most bourbons any more. Bourbon is close, but just too sweet. If I am going to have a glass of whiskey, it will always be a neat glass of rye. My favorite is Templeton's Rye, but it is too expensive for more than an occasional treat. Wild Turkey Rye is about half the price and very flavorful.

17. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I find that kind of interesting since most scotch isn't peaty at all. Was it multiple expressions from different regions you tried and didn't like?

18. Dws2112

Dws2112 Member

Crown all the way for me.

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I really like Oban

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Neat is the way to go. Only heathens add water :)