To Alum, or not to Alum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rweb82, Jul 8, 2013.

1. mce00771

mce00771 Member

I have used alum after every shave and I don't think I will ever go without it. I really like the feel of my face after it. I will say that I get a little drying. I just need to find a good aftershave balm or lotion. I am going to get some Aveeno and try that out.

2. StevenML

StevenML Active Member

Sorry for my English, Jacob.
    I mean: If I have already irritated skin I will develop even stronger razor burn using an alum block.

3. ins0ma

ins0ma Well-Known Member

I've used alum now 4 times after my shave, and I'm hooked. I've been rinsing off the lather after my last pass, leaving my face wet all over, and then rubbing the alum block generously over my entire face. I let it dry while I tidy up, then rub on a good palm-full of witch hazel, another cold water rinse, and then my after shave of the day. The alum and witch hazel do wonders for my oily skin, and after applying AS, my face feels smoother and softer than ever. I notice almost a powdery touch feeling on my skin, even after using AS. Alum is definitely part of my routine from now on.

Thanks to everyone for sparking an interest in using this great product!

4. Peter Allen

Peter Allen Member

Love my alum block, I usually apply by putting under cold water, then applying to face, leave to dry for a couple of moments then wash off with a cold rinse, before applying my chosen aftershave...
    ...lovely.

5. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Alright, I've been meaning to ask, has anyone experienced "breaking out" after using alum? Being an antiseptic, I figured I'd share the wealth with my entire face, not just in my shaving areas. I rub my alum stick all over - neck, cheeks, nose, forehead, etc. Things were going well for awhile, but within the last week I noticed that I've been getting an unusual amount of breakouts on my forehead area mostly. I get one or two in other places, but mostly on my forehead. I opted not to use alum for my last couple shaves and I haven't had anything new...I'm wondering if the alum is the culprit? Any thought?

6. Nikhil Naidu

Nikhil Naidu Member

The breaking out could be due to the astringent action of the Alum block. Any oil/ impurities in the pores (even shaving cream residue or hair) could block the pores and when you use Alum they get stuck there creatin a breakout. Try doing a face cleanse before you apply the alum block.

7. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I have the same problems from time to time. I will try cleaning my face after shaving.Thought it would be enough to rinse off with cold water...

Thanks for the Tipps. Hope it will work.

8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I break out if I leave it on for more than a minute. So after applied I clean my brush for a minute and then rinse off with lots if cold water.

Antiseptic still doing it's magic, no acne or other problems.