New Omega synthetic brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by KLF, Jul 31, 2013.

1. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I saw some new brushes from Omega with new synthetic knots. Anyone knows how do they perform ?

2. Codfish

Codfish Member

From my review:

[​IMG]

Dramatic improvements have been made in synthetic brushes in recent years. Manufacturers such as Mühle, Kent, H.I.S., Frank Shaving, Edwin Jagger and event Omega itself have produced new generations of synthetic brushes—with good, and even great results. The past two months alone has seen two entirely new Generation 4 knots from Frank Shaving (24 and 28mm) and Mühle (Black Fibre V2).

I was immediately interested when I recently saw catalog entries for a new Omega HI-BRUSH series--indicatng a "Brand new synthetic fibre from OMEGA." Six new models are offered in a variety of handle types. All are in 24mm knot sizes (with 56mm lofts)--one of my most-favored synthetic configurations. I ordered Model #0140634 from Connaught Shaving that same day and received it 10 days ago.

To say that I am disappointed in this brush is an understatement. I expected more from Omega. They are responsible for some of the world's most renowned and best-regarded brushes. A year ago, they even produced the Omega #646186 synthetic brush that scored high marks in ratings of 19 synthetic brushes from nine manufacturers.

But there is little positive that can be said of this new brush offering.

In appearance, it is reminiscent of the synthetic brushes I found in review dating back to 2009. The fibers are stiff, springy, poorly died and artificial looking. They appear to be Generation 3, and while they can be splayed with a little effort, the knot has the overall feel of a stiff boar that needs further breaking-in. The brush does make fine lather easily, but the tips are quite prickly feeling.

The handle is attractive, nicely weighted and balanced and feels quite nice in my hands. But I cannot recommend the brush based on the handle alone.

Not long ago, Simpson's pulled its newly-introduced line of synthetic brushes from field testing after receiving the reactions of its early field testers. As one of those testers, I felt their decision was warranted. Regretably, Omega has not done the same with these brushes.

I doubt these brushes will find great acceptance among experienced synthetic brush users. These were outdated on their day-of-arrival and poor examples of how far synthetic brushes have come. The Omega HI-BRUSH series is, IMO, a throw-back to the "dark ages" of synthetic brushes.

KLF likes this.