Lord Platinum - Top notch in my book.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Jul 31, 2013.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

So I have gone through 5 New Lord Platinum Class razor blades in 5 different razors. I love them so much I purchased a them in bulk. They were $10 / 100 plus $2.50 for freight. They are available all over and are made in Egypt. With other blades I get weepers on the ATG pass. No such problems with this blade. I have total confidence in this blade and go ATG in my toughest areas with a total lack of fear (LOL). Now with this blade as a constant I now can properly gauge different razors. For example I was shaving with my Gillette Super-84 at "5-5-3" but I ended up with some razor burn with my Lord Platinum. Knowing that it wasn't the blade, I could dial down the Super-84. So now I shave with it at "5-5-2" and get a great shave. It is a nice feeling to know I have a "go to" blade that is low cost and will consistently give me a great shave. I have other blades that work for me but they are 3 to 6 times the expense! I haven't cracked open a new 5-pack from my newly received 100 pack. I just hope that with all the most unfortunate disruptions in Egypt of late that it isn't going to effect the blade consistency. These blades are made in Alexandria in what I believe is an old Wilkinson factory.

2. mce00771

mce00771 Member

I am intrigued by this. I have one of these in my collection of random blades and I have not tried it yet. Is it very sharp? I am not sure what the priority is for you; smoothness or sharpness. I want something approaching the sharpness of a feather but with more longevity. Maybe I have a diamond in the rough sitting on top of my chest of drawers. ;)

3. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I need both sharp and smooth. My other favorites are sharp blades but they can tend to be harsh (Feather and Kai). As far as longevity I wouldn't know. I automatically toss my blades after 3 shaves but am not a fanatic about which side of the blade I shave with. So you'll have to let us know about it's longevity.

4. mce00771

mce00771 Member

If I can get three shaves, I will be happy. I was only able to get 2 with a Feather, though I like the sharpness. 3 shaves gets me an extra hundred shaves per hundred razors. That would be great.

5. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Lord Platinum blades are excellent yard sticks. They are a consistently good blade that you can use to measure other blades with (i.e. are these as smooth as the Lord Platinums, are these as consistent as Lord Platinums, etc.). Lord Platinum blades were the first DE blades that I ever used and were also my first bulk purchase. I always have a warm spot in my heart for them.

6. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Sounds like a good blade for a new guy to start with.

7. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

I have yet to try a Lord Platinum. How do they compare to 7'oclock Blacks?

8. galhatz

galhatz Member

The 7'o'clock blacks are much sharper than the Lord SPs.
    The blacks are actually a bit too sharp, or let's say , less forgiving but deceptively smooth. I liked them at first, bought a bulk pack and ended up selling them.
    The SP's are indeed very smooth and very forgiving. I used to use them with my TTO Gillettes and all that forgiveness made my technique rot because you can get away with applying too much pressure.
    These are nice blades but I find Astra and Red Israeli Personna to be sharper and every bit as smooth.
    This is a big YMMV opinion.
    I recently gave a Gilette flaretip and 50 Lord SP's to a friend if mine, the same guy who talked me into DE shaving last year, and it is now his favorite combo and he doesn't stop raving about it.

9. galhatz

galhatz Member

Oh btw, the Lord SP blades tend to rust if left wet inside a stainless steel razor, especially if you have harf water. I learned that the hard way and it was a royal pain to clean as the rust sticks to a stainless steel surface. Never an issue with other plated razors for some reason...

10. mce00771

mce00771 Member

I just tried a Lord Platinum at the end of last week and did not have a good experience. I came from Astra SPs which were giving me a DFS and followed it with a 7 O'Clock Yellow, which also gave me a DFS. All of this was in a flare tip. Maybe it is just not a good combination with this razor, or my skin just does not like it. Who knows?

11. galhatz

galhatz Member

After this thread I figured I'd give the Lord SPs a try after many months of forgetting about them.
    I used them in a Fatip razor and it worked very well.
    These are not as sharp as Astra blades, but in the Fatip, which is on the aggressive side, a good balance was reached.

12. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I love the Lord Platinum but I use them only in my EJ 89. I find them extremely smooth but on the less sharp side. So much that even a 3-pass shave tends to leave me with rough spots. I otherwise use Astra SP (much sharper but still smooth) in my Merkur 33C (much lighter razor) but I cannot go ATG or else it gives me irritation on the neck. I have yet to find the happy middle, end-all be-all solution. For longevity, I get 5-days out of the Lords, same with Astras.

13. galhatz

galhatz Member

Have you tried Red Israeli Personna blades?