Im a noob, and my face is on FIRE! Help?

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Bobby Mac, Aug 2, 2013.

?

What do prefer Cream or Soap?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2013.
  1. Cream

36.8%
  2. Soap

57.9%
  3. other?

5.3%
  1. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Howdy! Im pretty stoked, I stumbled onto this site.... GREAT place!

So, Question? that I assume will not have a definitive answer!?

Not to long ago I got an AOS "unscented" beginners kit (pre shave oil, shave cream, junk badger brush, and post shave balm, 10 Merkur blades) along with a Merkur 34c (up till then, I have always used canned shaving gel and the newest Gillette cartridges). My first shave with a DE was eye opening, almost euphoric by the time I was done.... Since then, the shaves are "just ok" with a few exceptions here and there!

I have done tons of reading on DE shaving and, as a result ended up buying a Simpson Super badger brush (which I love), and a few soaps (Tabac, Mitchells Wool Fat, AOS, etc.) as well as a sample pack of blades (45 mixed brands - Feathers, Derby, Astra, Wilkinson Sword, Lords, Persona, etc.) and decided to start mixing it up to see what works best - and try to get that 1st shave again... before I forget, I have sensitive skin, a beard like a Brillo pad, and have always gotten razor burn, BUMPS, and in-grown hairs worse than anyone Ive ever met!

Now that you have some background, my question is- I orginally started with the Merkur blade, pre shave oil, and AOS shave "cream" and got that 1st shave. The second time I used the same blade it started pulling the hairs, so I replaced it and got an "ok" shave! Next I mixed up trying different soaps, with the Merkur blades and got "ok" results. Today I tried AOS pre oil, Tabac (1st time), & Derby Xtra blade (1st time) and had the worst shave of all....(maybe worse than a cartridge) I have crazy razor burn &"some" bumps. Anyone know what factor may have done this? Should I use a sharper/duller blade? Soap? Lather to wet, not enough?

My apologies for being repetitive and long winded - I wanted everyone to have the background as I know every product, skin, and beard are different!

Anyway, any help advice, or recommendations, are GREATLY appreciated...I desperately want that original shave back!

ShorTea likes this.
  2. ShorTea

ShorTea Member

Ouch! I have no answer, but lots of other members have tons of experience, I'm sure they'll come along and help out!

3. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

I hope so! LOL, my face is still burning... which brings me to another question?

Is there anything that helps relieve razor burn? Ive applied the AOS post shave balm 2x now but it really isn't helping (then again, Im not sure if its supposed to?)- especially on my upper lip (right under my nose, it burns so bad, it is almost numb)

Thanks again folks!

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.

Second, sounds like poor prep and technique. Go grab something to munch on, a favorite beverage, get comfy, then *click here*

Third, the best thing for your case of razor burn right now is 2-3 days of no shaving. Give it a rest, then come back after you've had a chance to read and watch everything in that link I just gave you.

And keep the questions coming. So many great folks who are more than willing to help.

Tattoobob and battle.munky like this.
  5. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I would go with a different blade. Some are more aggressive then others. If that doesn't work, it is possible that you may have a reaction to a fragrance. For razor burn, I find a plain hydrosol (rose, lavender etc.) that is cold soothing. I would not use witch hazel as it has alcohol that can make the burn hurt worse.

6. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

The usual culprit behind razor burn is poor technique. Try easing up, let the weight of the razor do the work without any added pressure and keep your angle fixed at 30°. A little patience, a feather light touch, and worrying more about proper technique than about a perfectly smooth shave should cure most of your issues.

soapbuddy likes this.
  7. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear you're having such problems. Follow Swarden43's advice and give your face a rest for a couple of days. He has also given you some excellent reading material. As for the burn I find that Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm works very well.

8. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

First and Foremost, I truly appreciate everyone's time, consideration, and all the feedback!

So, heres my issue(s)- when I clicked the link Swarden43 was kind enough to share, I realized I had seen 90% of what was on that page prior to my 1st time with the DE - I watched every one of Mantic's (BTW,one of the best you tube channels, I have seen covering "any topic". Although I dont know him, he seems like a knowledgeable, first rate guy. His videos are definitely entertaining and informative) videos on You Tube prior to using a DE razor. In addition to countless other "respected" videos, reading on some of the major "classic" shave sites, etc.

As a result, I am pretty comfortable saying "I believe my prep to be what it should be"!? (then again, I am a noob) With that said, I only shave after a nice hot shower; followed by a 60 -90 second compress with a "hot" towel. I then put on the pre shave oil and start my lather (in a mug)... As for the lather, I referenced Mantic's videos a number of times to make sure I had the consistency correct? So I "believe" the lather is just right!?

Which brings me to technique? I work with angles everyday - so I am confident I am at 30 degrees with the razor (I can definitely feel, hear, see it cutting cleanly) , I also don't really apply much pressure, as i find the Merkur 34c is pretty heavy and seems to do the cutting on its own. I also take my time (maybe too much?) as I really enjoy shaving with the DE.

With that said, I realize I tend to go over my face and re-lather 4- 6 times!? The reason is, I can never really seem to get 100% of the hair? I do the first pass straight down on the face and neck and the remainder against the grain until the hair is all gone? This is why I was thinking the blade wasn't sharp enough? However, I assume it could also be my technique, problem is this is really the first time I got the razor burn (I have shaved at least 20x since I started) using the DE razor? Which is why I assumed it may be one of today's different variables?

So, Conclusion!?
    1. Does my prep sound sufficient? If not, what should I add/change, etc?
    2. Could the burn be from just the different blade type? I am eager to try a Feather (in a few days after the burn is gone, of course)
    3. Is there any reason the soap could cause razor burn?
    4. Is there any places you know of, that one can go and take an actual lesson with a pro? (the hardest thing for me is not having someone there watching that can say, no! do this, don't do that, etc.) ie. I teach defensive firearms, and see folks everyday with bad habits that need to be broken; all because they had nobody there to correct them!
    5. Finally - I think I need to go back to Swarden's link and go through everything again, step by step and see what I can correct or improve upon?
    My apologies for being so long winded... and again THANK you ALL SINCERELY for the input!

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

That sounds excessive to me. You might try lowering the number of passes down to 2-3 and see if your face feels better.

I do one pass plus touch ups. My face isn't perfectly smooth at the end of the shave, but it smooth enough to make the wife happy and to make me look not-homeless. Like you, I have sensitive skin and a tough-ish beard. One thing you'll find is that your face smooths out post shave- so that what feels like stubble after the 1st or 2nd pass will feel acceptable 5 to 10 minutes after the shave is done.

EDIT: and yes, your face can react to a soap and result in razorburn like irritation. If you think that's the problem switch to a different soap but keep everything else the same. Use that same setup for 2 to 3 shaves. If your face is okay then it was the soap.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Proper prep will help ensure a quality shave. If you are prone to irritation, good prep will minimize the damage.

A word of caution for you, especially after coming off some bad shaving results. A sharper blade—such as the feather—can exacerbate the problems you've experiencing, not so solve them. I would hesitate going with the feathers at this juncture.

Some rashes and itching could be indicators of irritation brought on by soap. Best way to see is change to an ultra-mild natural soap sans fragrance or menthol or other potential irritants.

Good luck in resolving the problems! We've all had to deal with similar problems along the way, so don't feel alone in this!

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If you had 20 good shaves, it could be something you changed for this one. I think it's a good idea to only change one variable at a time. That makes it easier to narrow down the cause of a problem. You could take a couple days off, then go back to the combo of products that gave you a good shave before. Make sure that works well for you for a few days. Then change one thing at a time looking for improvements.

12. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

No pressure, no pressure, no pressure.

Are you stretching your skin?
    Six complete passes is a lot, you should probably get this down to 3 passes with some blade buffing as needed.

It took me a few months to get to the point where I expect a great shave everyday.

battle.munky likes this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good advice so far. You are surely doing too many passes. It may help to realize that your whiskers expand a bit, while they are wet. Once they dry, they will contract a bit, so what feels like a so-so shave (at the time) ay be better than you thought, when your skin dries.

14. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

+1 on the cutting the number of passes. While applying after shave balm I still feel like there are a lot of whiskers left. But after a while they seem to go away especially if I used some cold water to rinse my face as opposed to l lukewarm water. Hope that helps and welcome aboard.

15. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

From one fellow newbie to another, 6 passes is way too many. I did the exact same thing as you during the first few times after I started - too many passes. Like you, I was determined to achieve a BBS shave right off the bat, just like the guys on the videos. Unfortunately our generation was raised upon instant gratification - we want it and we want it now. Truth is, Wet Shaving is a skill, an art - that we all perfect in our own ways to get our own perfect shave.

Take the advice of the veteran shavers and only do 3-4 passes (after you let your face heal for a couple of days). If you don't get the "perfect shave" after 4 passes max, stop - put down the razor and walk away. Remember that a "close enough" shave (although not ideal) is WAY better than a terrible shave.

I can't speak too much about blades, as I am going through my own process of finding my daily shaver. So far, the best blade I've tried was the Astra SP. I found it sharp and smooth, causing for little to no irritation (or burning) post shave. Currently I'm working with a Sharp Chromium and got interesting results. I still plan on having at least another 2 shaves before I decide if I like it or not.

As for post shave products, personally I have found great value in the Every Man Jack post shave lotion and HIGHLY recommend it. I don't know if EMJ makes a balm - as I prefer lotions over balms anyway. I read a thread recently praising Aveeno's post shave balm, but I have not tried it...yet. Either product may be worth a try if your razor bumps/burn should continue. I've seen the Aveeno brand and they are both between $5 - $8 at my local retail/grocery store.

Keep the faith brother, BBS shaves are in your future!! Oh and welcome to TSD!

Raven312 likes this.
  16. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

17. ins0ma

ins0ma Well-Known Member

:signs011: And I agree that it sounds like you're doing too many passes. Try making the goal of your shave to be irritation-free, instead of hair-free.

18. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

WOW! I woke up to find all this input! I am honestly impressed... Thanks guys!

So, it all seems to be the same general answers, too many passes, and change one thing at a time... Its actually funny because my wife was watching and said "I think your going over it way to many times, the hairs gone, your not going to get it 100%, nag, nag, nag.." I ended up telling her to leave, lol! After she saw my neck, she said" Why did you change all the products at once? that was stupid, its probably the fragrance in the soap!you know your skin is weird/sensitive, nag, nag, nag".

I knew I was going over it to many times, but had no clue that the "little bits of hair would even out after"? During the 1st pass all the hair is cut down to where my face is smooth following the grain, 2nd pass against the grain I could live with the results but figured I had to get every single hair!

So, I think I will go back to the unscented soap and play with different blades!? After I find the right one, I will play with the soaps!

THANK YOU ALL for the time and input, it truly means a lot... especially, in todays society- I am really impressed with the selflessness and eagerness to help a stranger on this forum! You guys rock!

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We are happy to help. One more bit of advice from an old married lady- admit to your wife that she was right.

Raven312, burnout961 and ins0ma like this.
  20. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

the one thing I learned in 15 years of marriage; she is usually right! I am not afraid to admit it to her either... As a matter of fact, I showed her everyone's comments a few minutes ago and got "I told you...I dont know why you wont listen to me" Well! of course, its because I am a guy and was born knowing everything...LOL!

Thanks again all!

BigMark and Sara-s like this.