What new razor shaves like a Gillette New?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lothar101, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Here is the handle for my mine.

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon, PanChango and Jayaruh like this.
  2. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

My New SC head re-plated in Nickel should be here today or tomorrow. Going to use an old Fat handle on it til I can afford what I really want handlewise .

Jayaruh likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Man, that handle looks great with that head. Is it vintage? It looks like they were made for each other.

4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I'm looking for a fat handle tech now, myself.

5. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

I just bought this off a member here - looks pretty clean - wont arrive until Wednesday though!

FYI I have read/heard great things about the Weber Bulldog handles.

[​IMG]

6. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

Heres a coupla' re-dos I had done. :) Left is a Rhodium British Tech with a bulldog XL handle waiting for a UFO handle to arrive. And right (open comb) is sporting a cadet handle.

P.S. the Bulldog handle wont fit the open comb without some modification to the handle (at the top). The head will rattle around and with a blade in its tighter, but still loose :scared001:.

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

hmmm... might a bit of Teflon tape on the thread tighten it up a bit? :think002: I don't know, it was just a thought.

Woodekt likes this.
  8. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

Na. The handle snugs up as tight as possible. I believe the threading on the head (male threading) is just a *smidge* too long for the handle and bottoms out in the shorter threading. The Top is nice and tight, but the "comb" rattles. I could grind the heads thread down to be shorter, but Id rather not because of the finishing. I just wont use that handle. Other handles fit fine.

swarden43 likes this.
  9. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

If I may, who is Sam Duran? I've got a New I want to replate in nickel. Thanks.

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    PM sent.

11. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    No my friend the handle is "aftermarket" if i can use that word
    If you check my blog you will find many like this one
    Each Vintage DE of mine has a New handle with different colour.

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Weber handles are fantastic I.M.O. I have all three....The BullDog and the Wave are basically the same handle,the Classic while being the same weight is longer and thinner..All of his handles are 2.4 ounces....His razors are a deal for SS at $70 for head and handle..

Greistshaving also make some nice handles. His GS1 in SS is 3.5" long, .5 diameter,80 grams and his Brass Fat Handle is a monster at 3" long and 5/8 diameter,111 grams. Unfortunately last time I checked he was out of stock, but you could drop him an email and see whats what....:)

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Weber is a great SS option, there is also Greistshaving...The Sabi T2 and Cadets also are VERY nice handles and not being SS are less expensive...

I.M.O. the Cadet OC shave head is very similar to the Gillette "NEW" but I find the Cadet slightly more aggressive...
    Hope this helps...:shaver