FYI- NEW Scuttle

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bobby Mac, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

As some of you know I have been going back and forth about buying a scuttle or high quality pewter mug!?

I decided to go with the Scuttle - why? The woman from Georgetown Pottery just called (in reply to my prior emails) and offered to let me be the first on the block to own the NEW G12.So I bought it! As the saying goes "she made me an offer I couldn't refuse"

For anyone interested in buying one- she said; after they have made some more and have a stock pile they will put them on their site for sale (1-2 weeks) and will most likely be offered in the same colors (I went with the "Hamada & Blue") as its predecessor the G5 . and cost $50 plus shipping.

Anyway, I am SUPER excited and will give you a review ASAP! (it should arrive at my house by Friday) I will also post a picture in my other thread - here

By the way, the folks at Georgetown were very pleasant to talk to... I spent a good 10 minutes literally shooting the breeze with the women I spoke with (I assume she's a manager or owner?) Its hard to find good customer service now a days - let alone a one you can enjoy speaking with! Anyway, I added this info as it shows what kind of people they are...

Happy Shaving!

ChiefShaver and ohpaos like this.
  2. clk

clk Member

Looks great. Let us know how it works out.

3. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Well, there you go! Couldn't have turned out better. I hear GREAT things about their scuttles and I'd be surprised if you're any less than ecstatic.

ohpaos likes this.
  4. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

Very nice, if the shipping wasn't so high I would have bought one of there scuttles. Enjoy yours!

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Beautiful pieces of pottery but I think the jury is still out on how well they function as scuttles. I had the first generation and it only seemed to give me lukewarm lather, meaning it wasn't cold lather but not hot either. GT has been producing scuttles for 5 years and still I think each new generation is never a home run function wise, where all forum goers are universal in praise of the functionality, that is puzzling to me.

I think Schwarzweisskeramik makes the best functioning scuttle and they are like you based in Europe.

6. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Looks very nice. Because of your pictures i´m now thinking of buying it...Let´s see what happens.

Please show us pictures of your G12. Looks very very nice. Thumbs up!!!

7. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Well I hope it gives me a hot lather!? You would think that each generation would improve on any of the predecessor's flaws/shortcomings?

I'm going to give them a call and see if the pottery would have any issue holding boiling hot water? Maybe that will keep the lather hot?

I'll let you know what happens when I get it? I do admit, if nothing at all is a piece of art...

8. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you receive the scuttle and use it first. Your expectations may well be met without using anything more than hot tap water. You won't know until you use it. I've never used their scuttles and heard more than a few complaints about the G5 retaining heat. A lot of people reported that things were much better with the G20. I have a hard time believing that they've come this far and didn't listen to what people were saying. Give them a chance. Use it and form your own opinion; most of all, enjoy it.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: As a G5 owner, most excellent advice from Raven. I have no complaints with mine.

And just so you know, if the water is too hot in the scuttle, your lather will quickly break down into an unusable state. I speak from experience!

10. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I have a Schwarzweisskeramik btw and it's indeed very good but you know how it goes, we often want what we don't have yet ;-)

Hanzo likes this.
  11. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Hanzo likes this.