Tabac Shave Soap Questions

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Dave Paskowski, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Newbie questions, I'm very interested in Tabac Shave Soap in the Milk Bowl and want to know if you can use the bowl to build your lather in? Is this a good soap for a beginner? Would you guys recommend something else to start with?

2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Yes to all except the last question. In fact, I'll break out my bowl of Tabac and use it tonight.

3. Robzilla

Robzilla Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes. No, Tabac is awesome.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

+1

5. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I suppose you could lather in the bowl, not a lot of extra room though. I usually build a thick prot0-lather in the bowl and transfer that to my face and lather there. I would say, its a great soap for a beginner due to its ease of lather and efficacy. In terms of quality and price point...You really can't go wrong with Tabac.

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I can but don't care for the smaller mugs like Old Spice or Tabac. I like something like a rice bowl with about a 4" - 4 1/2" diameter. Too much clanking around in the morning with a brush and mug................ just ruins my cool.

7. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

See how different a shave can be for somebody? It's strange but part of my enjoyment is the clanking against the bowl...

I love Tabac, used it yesterday!

Happy shave man!

oscar11 likes this.
  8. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

I want to thank you guys for the responses and info.

9. JarmoP

JarmoP New Member

Why was my post removed? It contained pretty good advices of not trying to make lather over the Tabac puck by adding water?

10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Because the forum went down over the weekend, some posts made at or near the point of the outage were lost.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

PM sent.

12. JarmoP

JarmoP New Member

Thank you for a quick reply.

So I try to remember what it was, went like this:

Basically you can make lather on the Tabac bowl on top of the soap, but it is not good in anyways for a long term lathering. Tabac contains tallow and too much water is an enemy to your soap. Also that a Tabac bowl has a hollw cavity under the soap where that extra water would go. It will be damaging to your soap.

I'd rather go load the brush with a well shaken brush and go to make lather in a separate empty bowl or as I do go straight to face lathering and dip afew times gently the brush tips to sink.

Just my advices ;)

13. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I load the brush from the puck and transfer it to my warmed scuttle setup. I then whip it up in the scuttle and enjoy the shave. I like to finish the shave time with the Tabac aftershave lotion.

14. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

TABAC works like a dream for my hard water every time.... one of the best masculine scents out there... LOVE IT!!!!

15. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Active Member

Tabac is an old German brand and scent. The shave soap is very good and you can load the brush easily from the jar. You probably shouldn't try to build lather in the Tabac bowel but either face lather or use a proper shave mug or better yet a scuttle (see Georgetown Pottery for a superb scuttle). As for the smell.............I have about 12 VERY expensive colognes that range from $75 to $300 for 100ml. I bought a bottle of Tabac cologne (8 ounces) for $12 on Amazon. Believe it or not I get the most compliments from the Tabac.

Tdmsu, ChiefShaver, KLF and 1 other person like this.
  16. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Tabac is awesome, and in fact I shaved with it this morning. That and Mike's Natural Soaps are the only two I use now.

17. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Best soap around for a beginner wet shaver :)

Keithmax and ChiefShaver like this.
  18. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I haven't used the soap but I love the cologne, one of my all time favourites!!

19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I just started using Tabac soap and EDT after my wife loved it at the store.
    The soap lathers very easily - I start in the jar, then move to my face. It's a joy to use.

20. Dr Yan

Dr Yan New Member

Think ill get some Tabac myself and try it.