What I have Missed All These Years

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by jp2600, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jp2600

jp2600 New Member

So after an unexpected passing in the family, which led me to travel across the country for an extended time, I finally had a chance to purchase my shaving supplies on Amazon! My Merkur Long Handle, a ton of blades, badger brush, and shaving soaps appeared at the door yesterday.

Some background, I have been a cartridge shaver for 20 years. I could never find a cartridge that didn't slice my face to shreds or cause ingrown hairs/razor burn, and each time they came out with a new model with more blades it just became worse for me. Also, I grew tired of paying exorbitant prices for cartridges.

I had come to these shaving forums for awhile and lurked, but thought how good can a Double Edge razor be, it's old technology. Well let me tell you: If you are a newbie reading this and haven't committed to trying a DE razor, DO IT!

I just shaved for the first time last night. Merkur Long Handle with a Feather Blade loaded. And let me tell you if was the best shaving experience of my life! I didn't slice my face once (normally received a few each time w/ a cartridge) and it was the smoothest shave I have ever experienced! My god I still can't believe how good it was. I was really nervous and prepared by buying a massive styptic stick and a ton of bandages. I watched a few videos on Youtube and after all that it was a perfect shave. Started with the grain than went once against. Perfection!

Anyway, I have been telling co-workers all day. If you haven't committed to giving this a try do it. I wish I would have years ago!

Oh and "hi" fairly new to the forum and thanks to all the contributors here! The wealth of information contained here has been amazing in getting started!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

3. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

:signs046:to the Den! I'm glad to hear you're first wet shave went so well. It will only get better and better.

jp2600 likes this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you.

jp2600 likes this.
  5. secretum

secretum Active Member

welcome!

I'm a newbie myself, just started in june and I must say, although I was able to shave without nicks and cuts all these years, shaving deffinitly wasn't a pleasant experience and was always leading me to search for better foams and gels to try soothing the task...
    right now I'm lovin't it so much it's kind of hard to wait for the next shave, and for the first time I'm ridiculously thinking my beard doen't grow fast enough :)

coocoo.... :shaver ....coocoo

178-bplatoon, Peter Allen and jp2600 like this.
  6. jp2600

jp2600 New Member

Yeah I am in the same boat. I am actually looking forward to shaving again! :shocked003: Never had that happen before. This is what shaving should be like!

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone! Hopefully I can contribute something to the discussion.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Welcome! You've made the right choice! Many here have traveled down the multi blade road for many moons, and have seen the light! ;)
    [​IMG]

Peter Allen likes this.
  8. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Oh...Hey there! I can relate to your excitement! ;) Welcome to TSD!

9. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Great pic...Love it!

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD jp2600........I'm sure you'll enjoy it here......:)

Your story is the same as many of us....I went for 30+ miserable,irritation filled,razor burned years before finding "NIRVANA"!! The "BEST" thing is it only gets better from here.....:happy088:

Peter Allen likes this.
  11. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

20 years here... Welcome aboard!

12. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Welcome to TSD!

13. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Welcome to TSD :)

14. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member