Do you use cologne along with an A/S splash?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Justin Linker, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I was wondering. Most of my A/S splashes have very long staying power. Does your aftershave typically serve as a cologne? Or do you wear cologne along with your aftershave? Seems like cologne along with A/S and your shower soap and deodorant would be total overkill. Thoughts?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It depends on the aftershave in question. Old Spice AS is a stand-alone, as is Pinaud Clubman. I tend to save my colognes for special events, going out for dinner, theatre, dates, etc. and apply them a half hour before leaving.
    Citrus based aftershaves get a cologne top off, since the AS scent vanishes within 5-10 min. One of my favorite combos is Trumpers Limes Skin Food paired with Rance's Francois Charles Cologne. The scent from both is almost totally gone within 30 minutes, but I'll occasionally catch whiffs of Francois Charles throughout the day. The overpowered scents like Old Spice burn out my sniffer, so I just rely on compliments throughout the day to let me know it's staying power.

The key to wearing cologne is moderation and location. The best cologne on the planet can act as a repellant between you and the rest of humanity if you follow Axe's application directions. A dab on the back of the neck, behind the ears, on the wrists, and behind your knees is all you need to smell great all day long.

(As best I can remember)
    Fragrance Oil Ratio to Alcohol Content:
    AS - 6%-8%
    Cologne - 10%-12%
    Eau de Toilette 12%-18%
    Parfum - 18%-27%

That's not a typo, Parfum is the correct terminology. Most women's fragrances (perfumes) are parfum, as are a few men's fragrances. Most good men's "colognes" are Eau de Toilettes. A fragrance's staying power can often be determined by what kind of label it has. As an example, I scored a great "bargain" at a discount chain on Bvlgari Black. It wasn't until I used it that I realized I'd purchased the cologne version rather than the Eau de Toilette sold in high end chains. The fragrance from that bottle only lasted 4, rather than 8 hours.

Sorry for being so long winded on this. I should put together an in-depth sticky-worthy explanation one of these days.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Depends.

Dickenson's WH, Osage Rub, L'Oreal Comfort Max ASB - I spritz on a cologne or scented A/S after
    Brut ASB - always and only follow up with Brut cologne
    Thayer's Rose Petal WH - usually let that go as is

I know Pinaud Clubman is listed as an aftershave, but I use it for scent only.
    For me, the Osage Rub scent doesn't last long enough, thus I follow it up with a longer lasting scent.

With all my cologne and/or scented A/S I just make sure not to go too heavy.

As for matching scents, I've got too much going on to worry about it:
    My shampoo is scented
    My shower soap is scented
    My shave soap is scented
    Most of my aftershaves and balms are unscented
    My cologne is scented
    My pit stick is scented

At the end of the day, my wife still tells me I smell good! :angelic013:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Couldn't agree more. For me, though, it's just behind the ears and a spritz on my throat.

By the way, the rest of your post was excellent. I just wanted to comment on how much to use. :happy088:

battle.munky likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Great informative reply!
    I had to laugh at the Axe reference. I have 3 sons who went through the Axe phase. We had multiple cans of varying odors in our household for quite some time.
    We now refer to the Axe product who's application is something more along these lines...
    [​IMG]

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good point about location. Covering your face & neck with cologne makes it too strong & not fun to kiss. (A woman may want to smell your cologne, but not taste it when she kisses your cheek or neck.)

crackstar likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

And what's so horrible about "Double Pits Chesty"?! * :rofl:

* FTR, that's mankind's most stupid advertizing campaign in the history of everything.

battle.munky likes this.
  8. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Not when I use Pinaud Clubman.

9. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

I use Aqua Velva a/s, followed by a cologne. I've found that there isn't much interference.

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I went through the Axe phase. My dad hasn't left it... he likes deodorant sprays and not sticks.

Some of my aftershaves have a strong staying power. Other times, they don't. If they don't stick around, I'll put on a cologne.

My deodorant I use is Molton Brown Black Pepper. It's $20 a stick, but it works so well for me and it keeps me buying it for that reason.

crackstar likes this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Axe fragrances.............................:sick007: I think I even lost my taste for the facial wash and the aftershave gel which I had bought a while back.

Ryan B likes this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I just use aftershave. I don't need the new supply tech chasing me around the building because I smell like a Dolce & Gabbana spokesman ;)

13. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

If I plan on using cologne right after I shave, I opt for a lightly scented soap and post-shave treatment. But I never wear strong ETD at work due to office etiquette. I save those for date nights or weekends!

For the record, my lightly scented aftershaves are Thayer's unscented Witch Hazel, Proraso green splash or white balm or Nivea Sensitive Balm. The scent of the Proraso or Nivea dissipate quickly enough it seems so it doesn't clash with cologne.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My fragrances tend to be fairly strong but I apply them very lightly to keep them from being so overwhelming.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm pretty exclusive to just AS.

I just recently got a bottle of Pinaud Lime Sec and love it. Goes on strong for the first 20 minutes or so but tames itself and is nice and light throughout the day.

The rest of my AS's are pretty much the same other than the notoriously short ones like Osage Rub.

I only have one cologne and haven't used it much at all.

16. Shellbriar

Shellbriar Member

Never have used cologne. Strictly an aftershave guy.

17. immobileman

immobileman Member

I too am more of an aftershave kind of guy. I use cologne maybe 3 times a year.

18. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

Aramis A/S has a lasting scent. To extend it longer I use the Aramis Cologne.

19. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I use Aqua Velva A/S and always follow it with cologne. I am a fragrance lover and have quite a few colognes (not as many as I would like) that I rotate through. I like to smell different depending on the occasion and my mood.

20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I only apply cologne if I have a cologne scent that matches my AS choice.

My only duo there is Old Spice Original. It also happens to be my signature scent so I'm happy with that limited choice.

I only use it when going to parties.