Upgraded an Ever-Ready 300PBT and 500PBT

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by HoosierTrooper, Sep 5, 2013.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Here's a couple of fancy schmancy versions of my favorite style handle that I upgraded. The pure badger knot in the red and black 300PBT wasn't bad, I used it a few times, but the one in the black 500PBT was pretty much worthless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I loaded the 500PBT with a TGN 18mm silvertip, which they have apparently quit carrying now, and I left the lettering alone because it wasn't painted at the factory.

The 300PBT got an 18mm TGN finest and I repainted the lettering with Testors gold because I think that's what color it was originally but the paint has faded and some has turned a kind of green color.

Both knots work very well and turned both into great brushes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

More excellent work, Tom.

Side question for you - I have a PB and was able to figure pure badger, but what does the T stand for? I do have a 100T and it is boar. And the number - true that this was the price at the time?

Thanks

3. HoosierTrooper

I used to the think the T was for two-tone, or two colors, but now I'm not sure what it means. The black one is obviously one color but it has the T after PB.

Here is a page from an old merchants catalog, notice the model numbers correspond to the suggested prices. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy, I enlarged it to make it a little easier to read.
    [​IMG]

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very helpful. Thank you.

5. HoosierTrooper

Maybe Gary can better explain some of ER's numbering system. The all red one I have doesn't have the T, just 100, the white one is labelled as a K40, and I have two tone blue and white ones, one of which say 200T, and the others are F40's. One of the two tone black and white ones I have is an H40. No idea how to decipher them.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

From what I have gathered, many of the brushes recycled names over time. There are several 100s. This leads me to believe that they they might have numbered based on hair grade or price point rather than a lineage such as Simpson, Vulfix, Rooney.

That is just a theory, maybe one day I will stumble on the definitive answer or just keep stumbling. :shocked029:

7. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Very nice work.

8. Matgo56

Matgo56 New Member

Very nice restore!! When you redid the lettering did you clean out the old lettering first?

9. HoosierTrooper

Thanks! I usually try to get as much of the old paint out as possible.