New Parker brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Tdmsu, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Ok, now I've tried a softer brush... It's a Parker, but I'm not sure what kind. The store did not have the box, and so gave me a generous discount (I think) because the brush is very soft two-toned. It could be a synthetic, or another kind of badger. It did not have a smell to it, and it has a fake ivory handle. The logo is already rubbing off a bit after one use.

Either way, it was very different from the old VDH I had been using, in a good way. It felt very nice on my face, and made very good lather with my new Tabac soap. I understand that Tabac lathers easily, so it may not mean much here.

I was skeptical about how much difference a brush could make, I'm still not sure... I'll reevaluate in the coming weeks.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Got any pics?

3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of the brush with my Merkur 37c slant on the Maggard stand I just got today.

Doryferon and tylerSC like this.
  4. ShorTea

ShorTea Member

Very nice!

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's their synthetic brush. :)

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. tylerSC

tylerSC Member

7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

So far, it's working great for me - easier and more comfortable lathering. It has enough backbone for me to start making lather in my Tabac jar and transfer to my face.
    I really didn't think the brush mattered much before this, but the Parker feels and performs better than the boar brush I got with the $9 VDH kit.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah the brush and blade matter more than the razor. The second or third generation synthetic brushes are nice. All the stiffness of a boar, combined with the softness of a badger.

The only downside is that they don't stay warm through the whole shave.

Top of the line boar brushes are much softer than the VdH brushes.

9. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Tdmsu likes this.