Arko Shave Stick Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ChrisC1977, Jun 3, 2013.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I have never taken the plunge - afraid of the scent. Does Arko smell like Williams?

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

It doesn't smell quite like Williams Mug, but not that far either, so it's a pretty nice smell :)

3. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Active Member

Good question - what does it smell like? I've seen lots of mixed reviews about the scent.

4. tuxxdk

It's very lemonly citrus like. It can remind of toilet/house cleaning which may be why many doesn't fancy it.

I don't asociate it with that as my cleaning products don't smell like that so to me it's just a nice smell.

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

To me it smells just like Ivory bar soap. Nothing like Williams which smells like a citronella candle to me.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've been using Arko in puck form this past week...And I have to say the performance in puck form is "STELLAR"!! I found Arko ok using it in stick form,but face lathering isn't my forte. Bowl lathering Arko in puck form for me is "FANTASTIC"!!!! :)

Leo K., tuxxdk and feeltheburn like this.
  7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I like it that way too. ^^^^

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i have put off using arko for sometime...dont know why....finally got to use it and i think its great. what a nice performance from a cheap soap stick. the scent is ok...kinda like a potent ivory soap smell. it was soft enough that
    a little bit of stubble takes off enough soap from rubbing on my face. some of the harder sticks require more stubble growth to scratch the soap off the stick.

i put mine into a twist up tube and i like it.

thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

You can leave the stick open to the air for a few days and the smell will move into the scent category. It does work great. Mine is also in a travel tube.

[​IMG]

10. JarmoP

JarmoP New Member

No. The Arko stick smell won't ever go away. It will invade your bathroom. I like mine unscented.
    The only solution for me has been to slice it in a lid covered bowl. It works well though as a shaving soap.

11. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I LOVE the smell, it brings back my childhood and my mom's Ivory soap. :)

12. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess this proves that one man's treasure is another man's poison because the smell of Arko sticks is the second worst I've ever experienced... only to be topped by one in a plastic bowl that I can't remember the brand (very common but I'm blocking it right now).

13. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I just received 4 sticks in the mail today. I just happened to rescue an Old Spice mug from a puck of Williams. I never did develop a liking for the Williams. I mashed two sticks of the Arko into the mug. I think it smells like ivory with a hint of citronella. I like it, can't wait to try it and see if I get the fabulous lather everyone says this soap makes.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What don't you like about Williams? The scent or the lather? If it was the scent, that tells me enough to know to stay away from the Arko.

15. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

It was the lather I didn't like with the Williams. It was at my Moms and it wasn't enjoyable trying to get it to lather. It was replaced with a mug with Cella in it. I like the smell of the Arko, YMMV.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Arko isn't bad smelling I.M.O.(I like it), what I don't seem to like is face lathering...:) If you like bowl lathering try Arko in puck form or smash/grind a stick into a bowl....:happy088:

Leo K. likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No, I don't like using sticks or face lathering. My Speick and Irisch Moos have been grated and pressed into bowls.

18. newb

newb Resident Newb

I love Arko stick, but truthfully the urinal puck smell doesn't work for me. I smash it in a cup and let it air out before I use it. Just me......... But don't let the cheap price fool you. Arko is one of the top shaving soaps made, Rich creamy slick lather is what you will get from Arko. Can't beat it...

19. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I really like the scent of Arko. I find it's like Ivory soap only a little stronger. I use the one that comes in a bowl. I never cared for face lathering. It is a nice soap. I'm still working on the performance. Right now I think it is just average. I got to get that super lather everyone is talking about. I can tell it is good stuff.

20. tuxxdk

It must be some bad-*** urinal pucks you American's use, as I get none of that smell from the Arko here. And thank god for that! Love the smell, and most important of all - love the performance.