How Many Blades Is Enough?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dan The Man, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Dan The Man

Dan The Man New Member

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what your .02 is on the multiblade disposables? I'm 29, started shaving with a Gillette Mach 3 when I was 15 or so, moved to the Schick Quattro (4 blades), and finally to the Gillette Fusion (5 blades) about 6 or so years ago.

Do I get a better shave with the Fusion vs Mach 3? I don't think so. I do like the edge blade for squaring my side burns though.

At what point does it become just a numbers game that adds nothing to you shave?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Around here, the answer, most likely will be anything more than one blade. Two (for twin-jectors and Atras) tops.

3. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

20 blades may be excessive, even for a first rate professional business man.

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I got a better shave (easier, smoother, faster, closer) with the Fusion than the Mach3 but the price killed me so I'd start with the Mach3 and then maybe once or twice a week pull out the Fusion for my final pass trying to make those expensive cartridges last as long as possible. Funny, now that I've switched to a DE razor I don't ever see myself going back. As good as a Mach3 or Fusion might be and as good as I was with 20 years of practice I still dreaded the chore whereas now I look forward to shaving and enjoy it as one of the best parts of my day.

5. Sparkfly88

Sparkfly88 plain

I used a mach 3 for a while, then I went to a schick hydro.

In a week of practice with my Autostrop SE made around 1912 I'm getting BBS and no iratation... Never EVER had that with either other shaver.

One is enough for me.

6. tom myers

tom myers Member

As richgem said, there really is no reason for more than one blade. The variables are many however. Personally, after trying probably at least a hundred different razors, including single edge, double edge, injectors, band razors, cartridge razors with various numbers of blades, and disposables, I have reached my own preference. I use a hundred + year old Gem Junior Bar, lather catcher razor loaded with a modern Gem, stainless steel, PTFE coated blade. I believe the close second place is the Gem 1912 patent.

I've been shaving, mostly with a safety razor for about 60 years. About five years ago, I started collecting safety razors and trying the various types and models. I truly believe that since the Gem Junior Bar was designed around the turn of the last century, any further design changes or new designs have only been an attempt to find a way to sell more razors and blades, but none of these design changes improved or even equaled the quality or comfort of the shave from that provided by the Gem Junior Bar.

Regards,
    Tom

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    2 blades for me. I prefer the DE or straight, but if I'm in a hurry, I can grab an Astra 2 blade cartridge and do an acceptable 1 pass + touchup shave.

8. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

If I am in a hurry, the gillette guard will be me most likely choice.
    I do have a five blade Wilkinson Sword razor, and although it does a decent job, it is no match for the power of a DE, with the guard coming in second place

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Of course to each his own...But after 30+ "MISERABLE" years of modern shaving using a Trac2 and the last two "WONDERFUL" years of "traditional" shaving using a DE, I would have to cast my vote for a single edge.. Anything more than one blade is a waste of time and money I.M.O..

Two years of "traditional" shaving has shown me however ,that it is a combination of good products and good technique that makes for the "ABSOLUTE" best have. In fact I feel the "WORST" thing about cart(modern) shaving is the lack of diversity and option, rather than just the tools themselves....

I'm sure with what I've learned in 2 years I could probably get good shaves with a Trac2, but why bother,when I can get the same thing from a DE or SE razor with much more enjoyment, alot less expense, less trash produced and what trash is produed is "much" more biodegradable and there is "alot" less of it to throw away.

The only "actual" benefit I see to using a "modern" cart or disposable razor is not to get a better shave,but rather to make Gillette and Schick even richer than they all ready are!! :)

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

One. I can't see myself ever going back to carts.
    And I'm never in a hurry. If I don't have time to do what I consider a proper shave, I don't shave. But that's me.

offroad64 and HolyRollah like this.
  11. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

IMHO - any more than 1 cutting edge is a waste and causes more problems than not! unfortunately, with multi blade (cartridges) the 1st blade cuts the hair and the following blades pull the hair; which is why the single edge is more efficient - it only cuts the hair!

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

+1 :happy088:

13. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Back in the cartridge days I used the double blade Sensor Excel and liked them well enough. I never adjusted to mach 3's or fusions so I think two blades is the max for me.

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

For the price of one pack of Fusion cartridges you can get a nice Gillette Tech DE?????? Just saying.....:D

15. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I'm very fond of carts, especially the Gillette Sensor and Fusion, really good smooth shaves.

16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Just recently I tried my old Fusion after about 9 months of old-school shaving. Fusion blades just don't feel very sharp to me. They tug and pull on my beard to the point where I don't know how I was able to use them for as long as I did. Of course, I just didn't know there was anything better out there for me.

In my quest to find a decent airline travel setup, I tried a Bump Fighter handle and Personna Trac II blades. They worked pretty well. Not as close a shave as I'm used to getting now but it was passable and pretty comfortable.

So my answer is 1. But 2 will work in a pinch.

17. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

For me a 2 blade is the only multi I would use. Everything else is overkill. I've used a Gillette Fusion- only because I got for free as a gift from Gillette. Kind of creepy really. How do they know when I turned 18 and where I live? Even UPS even knows what kind of car I drive... Ok back to topic...

To me, 2 blades never left me with razor burn or razor bumps or other issues as people say. I converted to DE shaving because of the journey and not the destination. I enjoy it much more as it made shaving become a hobby and not just a daily chore. Sure, cartridges are way easier to use and faster. They are about getting results quick. With a DE I can get the same close shave but I have to work more for it. But it is because of this increased time and skill that I enjoy shaving with a DE- I find the ritual meditative. One blade is all you need. Although a two blade is nice, I refuse to pay bloated conglomerates highway robbery prices to produce so much earth damaging material.

I don't think adding blades more than two to cartridges produces better results- just more razor burn. If you need to do a second pass with a Fusion, WTG and ATG, that is like shaving with a DE and doing 10 passes. Sounds nuts.

offroad64 likes this.
  18. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Not that I'm adding anything to what's already been stated, but a singe DE blade is enough for me. Once you've learned the skill of DE, SE or straight razor shaving, it makes all those multi-blade cartridges seem silly. Not that I've saved any money in this "hobby" mind you... ;-)

captainamer71 and swarden43 like this.
  19. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

You can save money with DE shaving. I'm in where do I sign up?:rofl:

blanka likes this.
  20. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Saving money is highly theoretical, of course. I've heard legends. ;-)