I have a question.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Monty Craig, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

I am considering the use of a straight razor, and have a few questions. I found a razor in an antique store and thought about using it, but I am unsure how sanitary this is. Also, would I need to get it sharpened, and if so, by whom? Next we can get into the strop questions... :)

2. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

The blade can be cleaned with alcohol, Lysol wipes, whatever makes you feel safe. Yes more than likely you will need to get it honed. There are several members that can help with honing for a reasonable price. Once honed correctly you would want to shave with it without stropping for the first time, then strop before every shave. There are several videos on stropping technique. Many people end up dulling the edge again by incorrect stropping technique. Using a str8 takes time to learn, I have been using one for a year and still learning. It is a fun journey though.

3. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

Larry at Whippeddog.com also hones and sells inexpensive strops. Good to get a cheap one to start out with because you will probably nick it while learning. Larry has honed a couple of mine and does great work, as well as Gssixgun (glen).

jabberwock likes this.
  4. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Cleaning a straight razor found in an antique shop before use is an absolute necessity. You have no idea how it was stored, how well it has been maintained, nor how sanitary the person who last used it was. Cleaning it shouldn't take too much work, but it does need to be done thoroughly.

If you're just starting out with straights then you have yet to become familiar with what a properly honed edge looks and feels like. Starting out with a razor that you KNOW is properly honed is a vital first step, so you will need to have the razor professionally honed. I have had razors honed by both Larry from Whipped Dog and Ken from RupRazor, and can recommend both of them. Larry has great customer service, great prices, and a quick turn around. Ken is more of the same (and for me there's the added bonus of him living less than ten miles away).

After you get your straight razor cleaned and honed be prepared to watch lots of videos, take everything slowly, and exercise a ton of patience. The learning curve with straight razors is pretty steep, but it's a fun climb.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've purchased several vintage str8s - they've all gone to Glen, aka gssixgun. He does a great job and he's a great guy to work with, as numerous folks here can attest. Glen runs GemStar Customs.

gssixgun and Robert Voss like this.
  6. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

Thanks folks!