My first re-knot attempt

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hammertime1, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Hammertime1

Hammertime1 Member

I had been wanting to get a larger brush handle with a 24mm or bigger knot. The smaller handles and my hands just do not agree. While I really liked some of the Simpsons, the sticker shock did not agree with my poor mans budget. I ended up making a deal with someone for a Double Duck brush handle all ready for a re knot. In the mean time I stumbled on the earlier versions of the Aluminum handles. It was love at first sight. I love mirror polished aluminum. My motorcycle is loaded with billet. Sadly I do not get to ride it anymore but I still enjoy looking at it. I ended up snagging one of the Aluminum handle ones after a month or so of waiting for one to sell for a low price.
    Here is a pick of my double duck with a 24mm Whipped Dog silver tip. I plan on coloring the lettering at some point. I just haven't gotten around to it.
    I have removed the knot from the aluminum handle, drilled enough space out for the new knot and leveled with epoxy. I still have about 3 more buffs to do before I get it to total mirror finish. The handle is starting to look pretty as she polishes up. I plan on using a 30mm Black Tip whipped dog after I finish polishing and widen it up to fit the knot. I put this project on hold while I broke in the 24mm knot which I have been very pleased with.
    doubleduck22.jpg doubleduck22.jpg

JRod22 and 5Savages like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Hammertime1 that aluminum handle is coming along nicely and the DublDuck is looking sharp. Enjoy them!

3. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Looking good!

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Very nice, I have 2 of those handles one has an omega boar in it, the other is empty as I've still not decided yet as I have about 3-4 brushes to reknott. But yes I do like the handles I polished mine up with micro mesh paper, but got a buffer last week I will get some pads and get mine to a Finnish like yours. Great job.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Looking good. Have you gotten to shave with either one yet?

7. Hammertime1

Hammertime1 Member

I have been using the DD for about a month. I am very happy with it. It whips lather up very easily and feels great on the face. All I have to compare is a col conk badger 30mm which I never cared for. I always had to work harder to get it to lather, the VDH my dog ate few years back which caused me to get the col conk (going from memory there) and my Vulifx 20mm? knot, I forget the model but was just under $50.00.
    I have a Vulifx Hyde park boar too but since this isn't boar not cant really compare.
    But out of the brushs I have hans down the 24whipped wins not even close contest. It did shed heavy at first but steadily tapered off. The only thing my other brushes didn't do during break in was shed. I don't really have a large pool of knots and no high end knots for comparison. But after this one I don't feel the need to find a better brush/knot. I'm perfectly happy where I am.
    The other isn't together yet. Still need more
    buffing on the handle and to open up the hole a bit. I defiantly like the look of the A handle. I have seen a bigger aluminum one piece model too that has me drooling too. I cannot justify another handle.
    Having a buffer makes things easy. I ended up with 3. One thing I learned not all pads are created equal. After getting some good pads with my one buffer I was like wow. I can't stand to use cheap ones now. The same goes for compounds. On small jobs or easy work you might not notice. but big stuff or really nailing a finish I see the difference. I'm very picky about how things look. I acquired two boxes of machinist tools that literally had been exposed to water for 10 years! it's was a rust nightmare. The buffers saved a large chunk of the tools.

wlmcad likes this.
  8. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Curious - what compound and wheels are you now using?