Safety Razors my eye; caution don't do this at home!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by offroad64, Sep 29, 2013.

1. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Most people they are safety razors. Not me I'm probably the only person on the planet that can do this 20130929_104635.jpg 20130929_105658.jpg ended up with 5 stitches trying to adjust my Futur.

2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

You are not the only one the Futur has many victims.

Thanks for the Pics, Though!:sick007:

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Futurs seem to have a high victim count from what I've read. I've not had a problem with the standard 3-piece set ups or other configurations.

4. offroad64

Never had problems till this morning. Like anything sharp if you are not carefull it can bite. :signs081:

5. AKASL

AKASL Active Member

Care to give us a Play by Play After Action Report on exactly how you did that?? For the future safety of the rest of us :(

captainamer71 likes this.
  6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. offroad64

Changed the blade and went to adjust the blade. I held the head between my thumb and first finger gave the handle a twist the head slipped and I felt a weired sensation in my thumb.

8. offroad64

Side note voskhod blades are really sharp on the finger still don't know how they are on the face:angry019:

BamaT, mjemec and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    One of our members dropped and successfully caught a DE razor. He ended up with stitches similar to yours. Pity that the stitches will be out before Halloween.

10. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Ironically, this must be the day for horrendous safety razor accidents. My brother-in-law expressed his interest in trying out a DE razor. I told him that he could try one of mine out that I had sterilized. So I ran to my shave den to get him my '73 Gillette Super Speed Adjustable and a selection of blades. I wanted to show him the difference between the TTO and a three piece, so I grabbed my EJ 89 Barley. There was a blade in it, and I thought I'd go ahead and take it out...bad part was that I didn't slow down. When I twisted the head, it was a little hard and released suddenly causing it to spin in my hand. Any other day, I usually hold it with a towel for just that reason. It scooped out a half inch square from the side of my index finger and nicked my thumb. I would have loved to post a picture as well, but it's currently seeping through the second pressure bandage. So, nope your not alone...just weird that it happened on the same day. Might throw a picture up when I change bandages. Lesson learned: When your shaving is not the only time to slow down and take your time. On the upside, the Astra blade was so sharp, I didn't even feel it. Will never store a razor with a blade in it that I'm not currently using again. Sorry for your misfortune as well.
    . P9290383 (640x480).jpg Day of the razor 2013. Bandage change time. Consider stupid tax paid in full.

11. offroad64

I too am sorry about your misfortune. All it takes is that 1 second. Normally I hold the razor by the sides and this time by the face. Keep your hand dry and elevated. Advice of the doctor who stiched my thumb.

12. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

That sucks, best wishes man!

I sliced the back of my pinky yesterday - reached into the closet and tried to grab my Merkur and reached over a half dozen razors to do it and, oops! Not Cool! But i super glued it and it looks better today.

13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Tho, I'd question the "successfully" part of that story. ;)

14. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Best wishes for quick recovery.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's thumb cut. OUCH! Will you be going Back to the Futur?

16. JCD

JCD Member

Ouch - thanks for the warning though - have a speedy recovery

17. offroad64

I'm not sure I thought I heard evil laughing when I went to shave this morning:ahem:
    I will have a 1 on 1 with the Futur and remind it that I'm the Alpha in my Den.:susel:

18. cwnidog

cwnidog New Member

Ouch!!!! I hope it heals well for you.

I always adjust mine while I hold the head in a damp washcloth. Keeps slippage down.

19. offroad64

Ya not going to make any adjustments with a blade in it any more.:happy088:

cwnidog likes this.
  20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Wow, ouch! I hope your thumb heals up fine without any nerve damage.