Cutco Knives

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by IsaacRN, Nov 19, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Seeing if any of you own or recommend Cutco. We use to have a set when I was a kid and remember them being quite sharp. Just throwing it out there for some info.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

My parents bought some and they were NOT worth the cost.

I can recommend some amazing kitchen knives but they are expensive.. hehe

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I know two things about Cutco. 1) I don't care for the shape of the handles (but that's personal preference) and 2) their lifetime warrantee is excellent...worked for me anyway. Once owned their paring knife and it must have been 20 years old when the blade snapped in two. They replaced it, no questions asked.

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Yeah...i hear they have an exceptional warranty. Warrantied for life, regardless of who purchased the item.

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Shun Knives are my personal kitchen knives of choice. They are expensive however and not for the beginner.

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Yeah...but do they require the straightening tool...and regualr honing?

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

All pro kitchen knives require honing every time you take them out of the drawer. That is the way of the world. Honing with a kitchen steel is really easy though.

Hence the 'not for beginner' thing. hehe

8. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

You dont really hone with each use..you use the kitchen steel to reallign much as stropping does. But for honing...you send that to a pro.

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

No, the terminology is different for Kitchen Knives. Honing is using the steel, like stropping.

Sharpening is sending to the pros.

10. berzerkeleyan

berzerkeleyan New Member

I've had a set of Cutco knives for over ten years. I've used most of the other major manufacturers when visiting friends' houses. But I always end up happily scurrying back to my kitchen to use my knives. I have absolutely no complaints with them.

11. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

I have a cutco pie cutter and a fork. They are 18 years old (at least) and I still use them.

12. DMS

DMS New Member

My wife had a set of Cutco knives in her hope chest when we got married. I've added a Henckels chef's knife that I like but we're still using the Cutco set daily and it's held up well for 29 years so far.

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Our Cutco knives were originally purchased and used by my Grandparents in the 1960's.
    They still are excellent knives today.

14. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

I have but one Cutco knife. It is a hunting model and I have used it for 10 years to field dress many deer. I sent it back to Cutco for resharpening last year after the season was over. I know that is not a cross-section of Cutco knives, but if this one is any example, they are good. I choose it over my Cold Steel hunter.

15. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I have a set of Cutco I recieved as a Christmas gift a few years ago from my mom. I have no clue what they cost, but from a functionality perspective they are very well made knives. My paring knife needs to go back for some warranty service as the edge is pretty messed up, but my serrated pieces still cut perfectly.

I probably wouldn't have bought this set myself but after using them for several years I can definately say they are good knives.

16. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I was planning on buying a good set of knives when our neighbor's son was selling Cutco for college money. I sat through his demonstration and was very impressed, as was he by the sharpness of my knives. However, when I saw how reasonably they were priced in the set I had to have them and am very happy with what I have.

A year later I bought the shears and a couple of other items.