Osage Rub???

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by LifesShort, Oct 12, 2013.

1. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

I was in Atlanta Barber & Beauty Supply yesterday and was able to smell Osage Rub for the first time. It smelled like one of those creams or ointments that you use for sore muscles. Am I missing something? I see that so many people use this. Am I the only one that thinks it smells like muscle rub?

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Osage Rub or as I call it, the Rubby Dubby Doo smells sort of like muscle rub and it's one of the best aftershaves ever created. The scent doesn't bother me in the least because I use it for the POWERFUL menthol effect it gives.

LifesShort likes this.
  3. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

IMO it doesn't have the greatest smell either. I own it, but don't use it that often. I think the appeal to this stuff is that it is just about the coldest AS Splash you can buy!

EDIT: Beat me to it Jeff ;)

LifesShort and crackstar like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You're not missing a thing when it comes to the scent - muscle rub describes it pretty good.
    But as has been mentioned, it gives a great cooling, soothing sensation to a freshly shaved face.
    The scent doesn't linger, at least I don't think so. I always cover it up with a spritz or splash of cologne.

BigT, LifesShort and crackstar like this.
  5. crackstar

#1. ;)

LifesShort likes this.
  6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I use it every day on my face and head and boy does it COOL. It does have a strong aroma when first applied but it doesn't last long. Love the stuff!

LifesShort likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It smells like old man. Eucalyptus and menthol's bastard child is a pretty good description of Osage Rub.

If you are not used to menthol, the first time using it can be quite the eye opener. Have you ever heard of something so cold, it burned...

That about sums up Osage.

8. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

I love it. I find it very soothing and relaxing after a shave.

LifesShort likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree with a good many opinions on Osage. Strong right outta the bottle; cool 'burn' on the face—and fortunately, it does dissipate rather quickly.
    Definitely a 'vintage' (archaic?) smell. To me, it conjours up either memories of the training room rub-down area or an old barber shop with a senior clientele.
    [​IMG]

LifesShort likes this.
  10. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I use Osage Rub almost every day. I really like it. It's a versatile product with many uses. I bet it would make a good rub down after a hot bath and massage! Always, Gene

11. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

Great A/S and body rub. Excellent in warm climate.

LifesShort likes this.
  12. DonR

DonR Active Member

My go to after shave. Use it alone and with other products. I use it as a base , then apply other products to fit the mood. As a base you can apply other After shaves or creams as desired . Always refreshing any time any way. Try using OR as a base and chasing with Aqua velva....nice combo!

crackstar and LifesShort like this.
  13. crackstar

LifesShort likes this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Love this stuff! I use it after every shave to get a great, tremendous, stupendous, outrageous, marvelous, fantastic menthol rush. The scent doesn't linger on me and I usually finish with the fragance of the day. I don't think my shaves would be complete without using Osage Rub every time.

LifesShort likes this.
  15. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

I love it too!

LifesShort likes this.