SoS: October 21, 2013 - October 27, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Sunday

Proraso Blue face lathered with Simpson Special Best Badger
    Fatboy set on 6 with Feather (2)
    3 passes, cool water rinse and finish with Proraso aftershave

MoAllen, Norseman, dcc and 17 others like this.
  2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Prep: warm shower, face wash with Shea Moisture African Black Soap, Proraso Crema pre Barba
    Soap: HTGAM Pumpkin 3.14
    Brush: Parker Synthetic
    Razor: Maggard m10
    Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge Yellow (1)
    Post: alum block, Krampert's Finest Bay Rum, Burt's Bees AS
    EDT: Givenchy Pi

I decided not to give up on the m10. I feel like I need to master it to bring my technique to the next level. Today's result: DFS almost BBS. I made three passes with ATG on my face, but only two and no ATG on my neck, then a little touch up. What a great shave!
    The soap was excellent, too. Easy to lather and slick as anything else I've used. The scent is not strong, but I felt it pairs well with the bay rum.
    Off to church. Have a great day!
    [​IMG]

Norseman, dcc, Ryan B and 14 others like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Sunday:
    hot shower with Yardley Pomegranate Rose bar soap
    Shave Secret PSO
    Gem Damaskeene
    Gem (1)
    VDH boar
    GFT Rose cream (in the scuttle)
    Alum
    Alpa 378

Decided it was time to try using a SE razor for the first time and chose the oldest one I've got. I only have to shave every other day and just shaved yesterday so I figured I couldn't do too much damage. Not the best shave but not bad for the first attempt. The GFT made a terrific lather with a wonderful scent so all I need now is to learn how to handle the equipment. The trickiest part seemed to be the upper lip directly under my nose considering the necessary angle of this type of razor.

I'm also thinking that between the GFT Rose and the Alpa 378 I probably need to steer clear of all the old ladies at church this morning lest they're distracted...

1026131506a.jpg

MoAllen, Norseman, crackstar and 17 others like this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sk16_9.jpg Get_Attachment.jpg diana_balsam.jpg glacial.jpg Sunday:

Hot shower
    L'Oreal Men Expert Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing: :smiley freezing:
    Hot towel
    #6 Horsehair
    Dovo Bismarck 5/8
    Egyptian Palmolive Menthol SC :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Diana Sport Menthol Balm :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Alcolado Glacial Menthol Splash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Aramis Stick Deodorant
    Aramis EdT

Not even a professional barber could have shaved me better than this because I'm almost as smooth as my wife and daughter. This was the best shave I've had in something like two weeks because I did a good prep and I took my time. It took quite a while for me to start to really enjoy the Egyptian version of Palmolive Menthol cream but finally the scent has grown on me. It's still not as nice as the Italian version, but it's quite acceptable to me now. The lather is just as rich and the menthol power is just as frigid. The Diana Sport balm and the Penguin provided their additional freeze and I think I'll use them again tomorrow for Menthol Monday. ;) :D

MoAllen, Norseman, dcc and 16 others like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

R41 Bulldog
    Perma-sharp Super
    Chubbz 3 (Rubberset/Omega Boar 23x50)
    XPEC SC
    Alum
    Superior 70

Feeling good.

MoAllen, Ryan B, Norseman and 15 others like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

What's the Xpec cream like? I've heard a few things about it. :)

Llyr and oscar11 like this.
  7. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Saturday Shave

Razor: Tima (RiMei replica)
    Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
    Brush: Elif Horse Brush
    Soap: Arko
    Cream: Arko Classic

I got 6 or 7 minor spot cuts on my face thanks to Astra and Tima cooperation :) I had much better results with Rapira blades on the same DE btw.

[​IMG]

MoAllen, Ryan B, Norseman and 14 others like this.
  8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 T.I.
    Harris Windsor SS
    Shavemac do1-2 band

This knot finally scratched the badger itch, of course it might lead to a couple more experiments but I believe I found what I've been looking for. Nice shave this morning. IMO, Windsor is one of the nicest scents in shaving. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

MoAllen, Ryan B, Norseman and 17 others like this.
  9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Prep: Hot compress, Crown Co. Supreme Glide Pre-shave Lotion
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Soap: Ginger's Garden Oakmoss Glycerin-in-a-jar
    Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
    Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (4)
    Passes: WTG
    Post: Cold water splash, Alum, cold water rinse, Dickinson's WH, Pinaud Clubman

I've mentioned before that I have tremors. One of them got me a nice little slice across my Adam's Apple this morning, right on the first pass. This cut (pun not intended) my morning shave short, which was a shame, since I'd managed to nail the lather again, with a nice, thick cushion. Oh well, I got a SAS out of one pass, anyway.

MoAllen, Ryan B, Norseman and 13 others like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I was gifted a sample of this cream some time ago by Oscar11, but haven't used it until today. It is a very dense and thick cream. My sinuses are struggling this morning so I was not able to make out the scent. I had a close shave and my skin feels great. I will need to use it a few more times before forming an opinion, but initially it seems like a really nice cream.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's the weekend! :happy069:Time for the SEs.

Saturday

Prep: Hone and strop str8, Hot shower, Dirigo Blue Aroostook PSO
    Coffee: Dirigo Blue Brazil, BLACK
    Tunes: 98.1 WOGL replay of AT40 from Oct. 25, 1980
    Hone: Duro Electric
    Strop: Vintage Blades 2" black latigo/linen
    Soap: AoS Sandalwood
    Brush: Omega 49, The Red One
    Str8: Premier Life Time, 3 passes
    SE: Schick G, touch up
    Post: Cold water rinse, ice water splash, L'Oreal Comfort Max ASB, Old Spice cologne
    'Stache Wax: Dirigo Blue

Not bad. I do need to send a couple of my str8s out to Glen, though. They're starting to pull despite my touch up honing and stropping.

Sunday

Prep: Hot shower, Dirigo Blue Aroostook PSO
    Coffee: Dirigo Blue Brazil, BLACK
    Album: Tommy Dorsey ~ This is Tommy Dorsey
    Soap: TSD English Fern
    Brush: Semogue 2000
    SE: Gem Clog Pruf
    Blade: Gem, day 4, 3 passes
    Post: Cold water rinse, ice water splash, Thayer's Rose Petal WH
    'Stache Wax: Dirigo Blue

BBS and lovin' it!

12. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

It seems to do the job,I usually use the oil for my more aggressive razors and if anything it does add some slickness.

crackstar and Tdmsu like this.
  13. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Sunday
    hot shower
    Semogue SOC,2 band/DB Brush Scuttle
    Proraso PSC
    TSD Signature Lanolin Soap
    OCMM/Pella coated (1)
    warm water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    TSD 2X Iced Lime WH
    TSD Signature ASL

Great 2 pass face,1 pass dome for BBS all around !!! :D

14. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Shave of the Day, Sunday October 27, 2013
    Prep: Brush soaked in warm water, warm shower, Petal Pusher Fancies Wicked Cookie Duster Moustache Conditioner
    Razor: Maggard Razors MR-3
    Blade: PolSilver Stainless Steel
    Brush: Fuller restored with TGN 20mm Silvertip Badger
    Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies Black Tea
    AS: Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave
    Post: Cold Water Rinse, double splash of aftershave, Petal Pusher Fancies Dandy Candy Moustache Trainer
    [​IMG]
    A really great shave today with the MR3 and the new PolSilver SS blade. Although not as good as the blade made in the old factory, it was still very sharp and performed well.

I cannot say enough good things about Petal Pusher Fancies products, all of them exceed my expectations. I applied the Wicked Cookie Duster Moustache Conditioner and Wax Remover last night before going to bed and allowed it to condition my Van Dyke. It performs great in both conditioning and wax removal and has a great Bay Rum Scent.

The Dandy Candy Moustache Trainer shares that same Bay Rum scent and offers great hold that last all day. Really a top notch product.

Their shaving soap is second to none of any soap that I have tried. I will need to try out the How to Grow a Moustache Soap as that too is getting a lot of positive reviews in the wet shaving world. As as it stand now the PPF is only microns below my favorite soap, MdC.

Have a great Sunday everyone, I hope that it is a nice and relaxing day for you all.

Llyr, MoAllen, Ryan B and 15 others like this.
  15. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Sunday morning, October 27, 2013

Schick E2 Injector with Personna blade (11)
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    Arko shaving soap with hot water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

B B 35.JPG

Llyr, MoAllen, Ryan B and 14 others like this.
  16. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Sunday October 27, 2013- Praise God for another beautiful day! I hope everyone has an amazing Sunday!

Prep: Hot Shower/ St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub
    Pre Shave: Homemade Preshave Oil with Peppermint, Tea Tree, and Glycerin
    Shave Cream: The Shave Den "Mojito"
    Brush: Always trusted Tweezerman badger brush
    Razor: Gillette Slim
    Blade: Feather
    Post Shave: Osma Alum
    Aftershave: Witch Hazel infused with Peppermint and also added 2 drops of The Shave Den's M-Bomb! :smiley freezing:

Notes: I really enjoyed the Mojito shave cream but i should have done a practice lather before jumping into it. I found i didn't use the full extent of the cream and got an DESENT lather. This IS NOT the creams fault it was just me not taking the time to prepare it properly. The M-Bomb is amazing stuff! If you like menthol this is up your ally wow! All in all I will be buying more The Shave Den's products, they are very well made and perform amazingly!

wheatcream.jpg

Llyr, MoAllen, Ryan B and 16 others like this.
  17. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Sunday 10-27-2013

11/16 C-Mon Special, Full Hollow, Spike Point
    Proraso PSC
    Irisch Moos SC
    GT G4 Scuttle
    Omega 31064 Boar
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Nivea Replenishing ASB
    No. 4711 EDC
    Great Sunday shave. The Irisch Moos was exceptionally nice. Have a great weekend everyone! GO CARDS! :rah:

Shave Photo 541SM.jpg

Llyr, MoAllen, Ryan B and 14 others like this.
  18. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD Oct 27
    Prep: hot showerl
    Razor: Weishi 9306
    Blade: Derby Extra Stainless Steel (day 3)
    Brush: Wilkinson Sword
    Cream: Musgo Real Classic
    Passes: 3 (WTG, XTG, WTG)

I tried something new today; I stole a bowl from the kitchen to build my lather...now I have to get a proper shave mug/bowl....

Switched out the ATG pass in favor of another WTG and some touch ups for a DFS.
    [​IMG]

Llyr, MoAllen, Ryan B and 12 others like this.
  19. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Sunday, October 27, 2013
    • Prep: Warm shower, homemade Cedarwood PSO
    • Razor: EJ DE89L
    • Blade: Super-Max Blue Diamond
    • Soap: No name glycerin soap from an outdoor market
    • Brush:Vie Long Horse Hair
    • AS: Barbasol Pacific Rush
    Second shave with the Super-Max Blue Diamond and will be the last. I'm having trouble figuring this blade out. I am getting good shaves with it, but I have to use a fair amount of pressure. Even so, I'm not getting any irritation. I got a DFS+ shave, but I'll try a different blade tomorrow.

The soap is one that my wife brought home from an outdoor market. After making a test lather last night, I decided to give it a try this morning and was not disappointed. It was very slick and had a very good cushion. My only complaint is that it didn't have any scent at all. I might have to melt it down and add a little something to it.

I found the Barbasol Pacific Rush yesterday at Dollar General for $1.75. I figured for that price I couldn't go wrong. It has an OK scent, but it loaded with menthol. The cooling effect lasted a good 10 minutes. At least for now, it has a spot in the rotation.

20. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Razor: Mergress XL (S4)
    Blade: PoliSilver SI (D3)
    Brush: Bullgoose Beehive w 24mm WD Silvertip
    Soap: Malaspina Salish Sea

Aftershave: Myrsol Agua Balsámica