I "girlied up" my shave brush

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by K Zollinger, Nov 5, 2013.

1. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

I gave the girl-child a cheap Escali brush identical to mine...and immediately regretted it. Sixteen-year-old girls are not famous for taking good care of their stuff, and she has some serious "first child syndrome" going on (re: If I can see it, it's mine; if it looks like something I owe or owned, it's mine; if it's in my territory, it's mine...) so I told her to put a dot of nail polish on the top so we could tell which was which. She didn't want to, so I started to paint the end of the handle....and then I just kept going. A couple of coats later, I am seriously crazy about how this thing looks...so pretty![​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Monkeylord, fram773, BamaT and 5 others like this.
  2. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

...and another, with the awesome blade bank I scored for two bucks at goodwill:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

3. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Nice job on the brush!!

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Let us know how the nail polish holds up, with use.

5. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Very cool! It's like a custom paint job. And it's neat that your daughter is a brush-using wet shaver. I can't wait until my boys start shaving.

6. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

It occurred to me, after I was done, that it would have been wise to rough up the finish on the handle a little before I started, but I am a spur-of-the-moment kind of person. It's quite expensive nail polish, so that may help. I have never in my life used up a bottle of nail polish, ever, so it's nice to get some non-nail mileage out of it.

7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Looking Good!

8. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

Thanks--and you can already see why I did NOT elect to share a brush with the child in question.....she must not have rinsed hers properly last night, on her second shave ever, because it's already looking a little "gunked up". Sigh...

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: "FANTASTIC" paint job K!!! Although judging from the looks of your daughters knot, I think it will be pretty easy to tell the difference between the brushes :)...The blade bank is "VERY" neat also,I'm loving the elephant theme as opposed to a donkey :happy102:

BamaT likes this.
  10. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful paint job! Nail polish, huh??? :signs002:

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    A seriously attractive brush.

12. Kingofseoul

Kingofseoul Member

My girl child would LOVE that..though she's 10 and a little too young to use it but still...

13. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

Quick update: the nail-polish finish on the brush is holding up very well indeed, even through soaking in hot water and being banged around. Nail polish is formulated to have quite a bit of flex without cracking or crazing, and obviously has to stand up to hard wear and moisture, so I can see why it's working out so well. Nifty.

BamaT likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Many nail polishes are based on Acrylic. Sounds familiar to those who know the composition of certain types of handles. As you have found out, this is a high cost approach but as long as the dissimilar surfaces, (the polish and handle) can maintain their bond, you will be able to enjoy your work unless your girl-child ...

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Oh, and be careful, brush restoring can be addictive and costly! I cannot tell you how I know this ... ;)

BamaT and Mark1966 like this.
  16. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

That is really awesome looking. Having never used nail polish myself is there a problem with brush marks in the finish?

17. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

No problem with brush marks if you work quickly and in thin layers, the way that nail polish is intended to be applied--I used the brush that comes attached to the top of the bottle. These brushes have tiny, flexible bristles so they can spread out to lay on a quick coat without leaving marks. GDCarrington, I must admit to having an itch to try this again. Girl-child won't let me paint her brush, she likes the wood finish, so I'm out of luck for now.

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Who told you that 1 brush was all you could own. It's good to know I can use the supplied applicator brush. I'm sure my wife and or daughter might have some extra nail polish kicking around:innocent

19. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

I actually did order a synthetic brush from star shaving. I'm looking forward to it and I DO plan to pretty it up--I'm thinking I'll get one of the emery blocks they use to rough up the surface of acrylic nails before they paint them....seems like the same basic process.

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Use "Wet" grade 300 or 400 grit sandpaper instead (400 is finer grit). Wet grade can be found in an auto parts store. Run the handle under water and get the sandpaper wet and sand the brush that way the grit is washed away and does not double grind or grind too deeply to create scars.