What kind of music do you listen to?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Capt America, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

With such a diverse group of folks here... I'd like to know what kind of music everyone listens to.

The past 5-6 years I was really into the hippie stuff.... Beatles, Doors, CCR, Dylan, Grateful Dead, etc.

Lately I've been getting into different music. A while back I was introduced to Dragonforce and thought they were pretty sweet... so I've been getting into that power/speed metal as of late. Been listening to a lot of Dragonforce, Rhapsody(of Fire), Agalloch, Blind Guardian, Symphony X.

Here's a video for one of my favorite Dragonforce songs. The video is kinda cheesy, but listen to the instrumentals.... they are pretty awesome.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywxm6zLEjFY

I've also been listening to a lot of Buckethead for the past couple years, since I seen him in concert at the Wakarusa Festival. Some might recognize him, as he was the Guns n Roses guitarist there for a few years, and is recognizable by his white plastic mask and the KFC bucket he wears on his head. The dude just has INSANE amounts of talent on the guitar, and makes noises with his guitar I've never heard before, and have never heard duplicated.
    Here is one of Buckethead's most popular songs, Jordan(it was on Guitar Hero 2, prolly the reason it's so popular).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytlmRmxZkA

Buckethead works with Les Claypool now and again, and Les Claypool is one amazing bassist. Here Claypool's version of the Devil Went Down to Georgia.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9tEdbwXxXw

So what do you folks listen to?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

ABBA to Zappa man.

I have Slayer right next to Sinatra. ::

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I'm the same. Literally everything and anything.

Enya to Corrosion of Conformity.

4. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I'm the same as the other two that replied. After getting out of high school and the tags that go with it, I realized that I was missing out on good music just because it wasn't a certain genre.

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Same here, different days, different tunes, I'm all over the platter.

6. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Frankly I just go with what I like. Whatever sounds good.. but I do have a preference for more classical sounds.. orchestral etc.

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

A little of everything although I prefer something that is more robust instrumentally. Talking through the lyrics is not my idea of a song. That's why I can't stand rap. Too many modern pop singers can't hold a note.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Me, I'm very diversified. I have a young wife, who loves hip-hop, R&B, House, Techno, etc. I listen to a lot of that music, and I for myself also love salsa, meringue, Kompas, (Haitian dance music) Zouk, which is dance music from Guadeloupe and Martinique. I also love certain kinds of African music, and I LOVE Arabic music, especially some of the music from some of the older Egyptian artists.

9. Will

Will Nevermind

With or without Pepper?

10. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

White or Black Pepper?

11. Will

Will Nevermind

Keenan

12. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Ivory Wayans?

13. Capt America

Capt America Member

Yea, I listen to a wide variety of stuff... it just seems that I have a main genre preference that gets more CD rotation that anything else. As I mentioned, right now it's speed/power metal.

Really, it seems like everyone 3-4 years that main preferred genre changes to something else. It used to be Beatles, before that it was rap(I had some nice JL Audio subs in my car when I was in high school and I liked to let the subs bang...), before that I think I dug a mixture of ska and punk.

But yea, I do listen to quite a varied array of music as well.

I don't listen to these guys, but it's worth a listen... at least once, lol.
    [ame]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5eveNk3o1ME[/ame]

14. Will

Will Nevermind

Dude, Pepper Keenan the on again off again front man for CoC. :rolleyes:

15. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I like his answer better.. :D

16. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Mostly classic rock, Southern rock, and country these days. A lot of Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels, Molly Hatchet, even some AC/DC thrown in. George Straight, Alan Jackson, Tracy Lawrence, Brooks & Dunn, etc. on the country side.

But I also go for bluegrass, Texas swing, classical, jazz, dixieland, big band, almost anything but today's pop and rap. (Sorry all you "American Idol" fans! ;) )

17. berzerkeleyan

berzerkeleyan New Member

Why is it that when someone posts a question like this, EVERYONE invariably states "Oh, I listen to all types of music?" It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when folks do this. Okay, not really. But I do believe that though people tend to think their music collection is diverse (it might very well be in a lot of cases), almost all of us tend to listen to a default genre, be it Classic Rock, Hip Hop, Classical, Folk, etc. Would most people agree?

Me? My default genre is Britpop, less specifically anything that comes from The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson musical branch.

18. Will

Will Nevermind

Well in that case, Hard Rock is where its at.

But when I say diverse I mean it. I can rock the stuff Crackstar listens too (love the "Hajji" music).

Getting heavy rotation currently is...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t86HZ_CIJw[/ame]

19. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

BeBop (small group jazz)
    Christian Alternative
    Smooth Jazz
    Disco
    1980's

20. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I listen to Cajun music, french rock, Kpop and Jpop, rock, ukulele music, jazz, techno, russian Bailalaika music, brit rock, ambient (the weirder the better), prog rock, jambands, zydeco, klezmer, and sufi music.

I'm a bit closed minded when It comes to music!

But right now I am mostly listening to the WHITE STRIPES, HAWKSLEY WORKMAN, FEIST, and the ARCTIC MONKEYS