Plasma or LCD ?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by rick, Nov 27, 2007.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Which is better and WHY ?
    Go Techies, Go :1respect

2. Will

Will Nevermind

LCD, because the picture looks way better.

How is that for a techie.

3. 019

019 New Member

Depends how much cash you have ;) LCD's tend to be cheaper for comparable sizes. You can also more readily get 1080p resolution on an LCD, although the benefits are arguable. If you get a huge TV (say, 65"), an LCD will be pretty darn expensive. If you're looking for something not too big and not too expensive, definitely LCD.

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I find the answer to most of these sorts of questions in life are "it depends" and "in order to judge what is best for you, one needs to understand how the tech works". So My recommendation is to tune into these two chanels below and read a summary of how the tech works and judge which is the better tech for you:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display1.htm

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm

Now a small comment from me. The LCD can double as a computer monitor so in a few years when you upgrade again you can take the old LCD downstairs and hook it to your PC.

5. 019

019 New Member

+1
    Although what I wanted to do is use my LCD as monitor and TV at the same time :D You can do this on some plasmas too, but you won't find an input on all plasmas. Most LCD's will have it.

6. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I bought a LCD HDTV last year and love it. Pretty much if you keep within the tech's 'size range' (LCD is up to around 42, Plasma above 42) then you would be happy. Nowadays though the technologies are so similar that you really have to look hard for a BAD TV.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Hmmmm.....so it would be better for me to go Plasma for a 50" TV? That whole debate of plasma/LCD is one where i can never get clear answers.

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

That is the theory yeah. Plasma was developed to be bigger, LCD smaller. That is why it is more economical in the very least to switch types once you get to a certain size.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

As said earlier the LCD can double as a computer monitor as well. Not all Plasmas can do this.

10. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I buy a tv to be a tv.....not for a future computer screen.

11. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

They can yeah, but a decent LCD Monitor nowadays is only 300 dollars and for computer tasks is much more up to the task. Computer monitors have faster refresh rates and such by design. Though really it is close nowadays so it isn't as big an issue.

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Rick

1) What size you looking for?
    2) How much resolution you need? i.e., you heading to HD TV/Blue Ray DVD stuff?
    3) Do you like really fast action types of shows?
    4) How bright is the room you will be using this tv in.
    5) What's your budget look like.

13. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I decided to go with an LCD. The one thing I regret is not buying it at a brick and morter store. Even though I saved around $300 getting it online, I didn't have a nice no questions asked service contract. An 8 year old hit my TV with a hanger thereby rendering it useless. What I learned from this is 1. Hang your TV high up on a wall 2. get a service contract.

Also, after a lot of research I decided to go with a name brand (Samsung, Sony, Sharp) and staying away from the cheaper brands like Olivia.

A couple of considerations to make when buying a new HDTV:

1. How good is your current DVD Player? If it doesn't upconvert you should budget for a new one.

2. Make sure the TV has at least two HDMI connectors (the more the better)

3. Check out the HDTV package at your cable/satellite company and be sure to upgrade your cable box an HD one to take full advantage of your TV.

4. Consider surround sound. Flat panel speakers leave a lot to be desired. There's nothing like have 5.1 and a beautiful screen to watch in your living room. :cool: I picked up a receiver, and 5.1 speakers for around 275 that'll blow away any Home Theater in a Box setup any time. Home theater in a box is the DVD, Receiver, and Speakers all in one. Like any other "all-in-one" setup they aren't as good a similarly priced stand alone products.

Check out www.avsforum.com and read through the threads there. It's "the Shave Den" of Home Theater... I hope this isn't frowned upon but you'd be doing youself a diservice not to check out their forum. Any brand of TV, DVD player, or receiver that you decide on will have been discussed in one way or another on that forum.

The Plasma vs. LCD debate could rage one forever. Unless you're a real stickler for having the blackest blacks possible an LCD will be fine. In a dark room with an LCD you'll see some light (very minimal) glowing around the edges of the screen and the blacks will look a little duller than in the light but it's getting better and better every year. If you have an LCD screen on your computer, put a dark background on your desktop and turn your lights off. You should see a glow around the edges. Same thing with an LCDTV. Plasmas (from what I've heard) don't have this problem.

Either way you go you won't be disappointed.

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Hmm, Sejanus. Did not know this, this can go a long way to explain why the DVDs I get from blockbuster on-line look a lot better on my PCs monitor then the TV screen. I thought that it was becuase the signals are digital coming from the DVD and are displayed in digital. I guess I am wrong.

15. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

1. Dont know (big as my entertainment center will hold. 35" maybe?)
    2. Dont know (the best quality?)
    3. Sure. Who dont ? :D
    4. Semi.....can make it as dark or light as needed
    5. I am made of $$$. No object. (SSSHHHHHHhhhhh . Dont tell Lovie ;))

Heres my sitch.
    Gonna be upgrading prolly within a year or 2 and I want something that is gonna give me a great picture and something that will last about 10 years. At least.
    Not into buying the latest and greatest stuff just to be the 1st kid on the block to have it.
    My current TV is just fine but I want to move it to the bedroom eventually and that means it will be replaced by sumpin bigger and better.
    So.
    Thats why Im here :cool:

JAMES:
    Thanks for the info and the link. Ill put it in my "Keepers" file.

16. Capt America

Capt America Member

My nerdy tech friend has this to say-

In a nutshell, as far as best of the best goes, plasma > LCD. He has a LCD, his roomate has a plasma. I have to disagree with Doc in that, as far as the high end, super quality TVs go, plasma looks better than LCD. If you aren't looking for the best of the best are going low-to-mid range, the LCD tv you can get for the money may be better then the plasma you could get. If you are looking to go all the way with your TV, go plasma. If you are just wanting something nice to get you by, LCD.

Mean while during the whole LCD vs Plasma wars... DLP TV's are making an unexpected beeline to the top of the TV pyramid.

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Better is such a relative term that frankly none of them are 'better'.

18. 019

019 New Member

Like Sejanus said, for anything below 42" get an LCD. Above that, get a plasma. Simple as that :) The problem then becomes which TV to get, haha.

19. Capt America

Capt America Member

Lol, this reminds me of the little Buddhist sayings my old martial arts instructor would spring on me.

I still stand by what I say, if you are going all out, plasmas are BETTER than LCD.

20. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

47 is about as high LCDs go without starting to look.. off IMO. I have a 1080p LCD and it is simply amazing. Beyond lifelike..