Plasma or LCD ?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by rick, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hmmm,

We've got a 47" LCD 1080P HDTV, 3 HDMI ins, excellent contrast, great blacks and a fantastic picture. We have a larger one but we needed the 47" for the family room...Looks fantastic, I compared it to some plasmas in the same size range 50+....the LCD we got had a better picture then the plasmas we looked at.

YMMV

2. Capt America

Capt America Member

As a side note, and not to sound like a tech snob, but I feel it's the truth.... there's almost no need for a fancy, brand new TV if you don't plan to make use of there HDTV capabilities(whether it's HDTV cable programming or HDTV/bluray movies). Like buying a brand new Corvette and never really mashing that pedal down... What's the use of 600 horses if you're never going to use more than 250?

I brought this up after reading this comment-

Personally- from what I've seen, as far as HDTV and gaming goes, plasmas got LCDs beat. I'm not saying that plasmas have them beat by leaps and bounds, but it's pretty noticeable.

3. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

1) Around 50"
    2) HD (Dish Network)
    3) Fast action
    4) Varies from barely blocked sunlight to almost pitch blackness
    5) Prefer to stay under $2500, definitely under $4,000

We have a 52" rear projection TV about ten years old. It has a limited angle of viewing and requires sitting back from the screen. We're ready for a better picture and ready for HD. No DVDs.

Earlier this year our daughter bought a 42" plasma. After two days she didn't like the picture and took it back and exchanged it for a 42" LCD. She has cable HD but mostly watches HD DVDs. Money no object — she married a millionaire. (She also has a PhD and MBA and makes $150k.) This was for the bedroom; she also has a front projection ceiling mount TV in a home theater with about an eight-foot screen.

My brother bought a 42" LCD last week. He went into Circuit City to buy a plasma and two salesmen converted him to LCD. He has both off air HD and cable HD, no DVDs. His ancient console Zenith died. He wanted to stay under $2k.

Richard

4. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

+1

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

What Brand?

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

We bought a Phillips, not the poshest in names but nonetheless a superb 1080P HDTV that gets excellent reviews and ratings, contrast I think is like 8K to 1, and the blacks are very deep and plenty black :) another plus is no screen reflections which is often the case with plasmas and their glasslike screens....... we also wanted to keep the cost low at under 2K.

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

The reason I'm asking is I need to keep my eyes open. I'm accumulating rewards points and almost at the point where I can get at least a 35" LCD free and with a little more time, a 42". I've been waiting patiently for 2 years to replace my 27" tube set in the family area.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Cool, prices seem to keep falling, We paid cash for ours...and the store we bought it at has a 90 day price guarantee...went in there last week and noticed it was on sale $100 off....I walked out with $100 + tax in pocket as they price matched and I had my receipt with me :)