Problems with goat's milk soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by burnout961, Nov 26, 2013.

1. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Okay, so there are two local soap makers who make goat's milk soaps including shaving soap and after trying both of them I'm still having trouble making a decent lather with either one of them.

I've tried every method for making lather that I've seen here and all I can get is a thin airy lather that disappears quickly without giving much lubrication. As a matter of fact I have to add a few drops of glycerin and some unscented Real Shaving Cream Co. or KMF to get something useful.

It's a shame because I like the scents one is bay rum and spice and the other is kind of bay rumish and I would like to support local businesses.

So, any ideas on what to try to make these usable or do I just have a couple of shower soaps now?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Shower soaps would be my recommendation. I don't superlather or anything like that as I think a shaving product should be able to stand on its own merits.

burnout961 likes this.
  3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Same here. I tried the goat milk bay rum from Sundancesoapery on Ebay. It was like trying to shave with bubble bath bubbles on my face. I suggest you just use it as bath soap and never buy it again. Some people soak hard to lather soap beforehand- you can try that as a last resort.

burnout961 likes this.
  4. burnout961

Yeah, I tried that to. All I got was really wet and airy bubbles.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you really like the scent, what's wrong with doing what you're doing... Adding an unscented cream to boost the lather?

burnout961 likes this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I have a Nanny's Ice & a Slice soap with goat's milk and let me say that this soap lathers like there's no tomorrow. I find that goat's milk is very moisturizing also.

burnout961 likes this.
  7. eyebright

eyebright New Member

Many soapmakers will tweak their basic recipe just a little and add some clay for slip and think they have a shaving soap. Goat milk is not a magic ingredient: it adds some extra fat but doesn't make an otherwise inadequate soap into a great one. If your goat's milk soap is a lather bomb, it's because the basic recipe is also good.

burnout961 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used and enjoyed goats milk soap made by "Rays of Colorado"...He sells on ebayIn fact his was my favorite, until I started using Arko recently.:D...Is the soap you are currently using "melt and pour? If it is then you could try mixing it with a puck of Rays although I think if you try it, you may just enjoy the Rays enough not to bother with the mixing..He sells a variety of scents including BayRum,Ol Spiced,Lavender etc....Nice guy, very easy to deal with for me at least,good product,good prices...Hope this helps....:)

burnout961 likes this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:signs011:

burnout961 likes this.
  10. sffone

sffone Member

My experience with goat's milk shaving-soap was very disappointing. I really, really wanted to like it because of the family who made it. They raise their own goats and have a small milk and soap operation that is really impressive. But after trying several of the shaving soaps I finally accepted the fact that I was never going to like them because of their inability to produce a suitable lather -- and this is coming from a guy who uses Williams (vintage) on a regular basis.

burnout961 likes this.
  11. burnout961

Actually, nothing wrong with doing it that way, I just would have liked to have them work on their on. Apparently that ain't happenin'.:p

And thanks to everybody for your input. I'll probably use the bay rum and spice with some "additives" to
    shave with and the other as regular soap.

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Ever try "Rays of Colorado"? He sells on ebay....His "goats milk"shave soap works well, he has multiple scents and it's inexpensive...:)

burnout961 likes this.
  13. burnout961

I haven't tried his yet. I'll have to put it on my "to try" list. Thanks for the info.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've had great results with goat milk based soaps (including, but not limited to my own). I guess it is just that particular soap that doesn't work well.

burnout961 likes this.
  15. sffone

sffone Member

Thanks for the "heads-up."