Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I had a nice leisurely late-morning shave today. Put some conditioner in my beard and gave it about 10 minutes of hot towel. Popped a new blade in my Hydro-magic. Lathered up with some of JoAnna's finest wheat cream (Grapefruit), and got possibly the best shave I've ever had. I don't think I've ever been this BBS in my life. Col Schick comes through again - like he does every time. But this one was especially good.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That's a nice one GD. Mine's a run of the mill I2 but if I find one of those I'm pretty sure I'll be unable to resist.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Gary, do you happen to know the difference between your Golden 500 and my Schick 500? The only difference I can think of is that mine doesn't say "Golden". I can post a pic later for comparison.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This one has the Hydro - magic lever to lift part of the head for cleaning. I have a another Type J that does not have this feature.

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

8. lradke

So does the 500 I have. Here's some pics:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386465228.807202.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386465257.022529.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386465308.155596.jpg

I'm thinking just a different production for a different part of the world.

Bird Lives and GDCarrington like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I had to go back and look at the reference materials.

More than likely other than the coloration, the case is different. The Golden may have been for a special occasion. It is close to the 50th anniversary but off by 2 years so I don't think that is it.

I have a J1 and a J3 model.

Here are the variations of the J Model.

J1: Long Ivory coloured handle, gold head

J2: Long black handle, silver head

J3:Golden 500: Long black or ivory
    coloured handle, gold head,
    Hydro-magic lever.

J4: Schick 500: Long black or white handle,
    silver head,
    Hydro-magic lever.

lradke likes this.
  10. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I have a question,
    What type of blades do the injector razors take? I know they use "injector" blades, but what makes them injector blades? does anybody make an "injector" blade? Can you use the feather styling single edge blade?
    The reason I ask is I have found 2 realy nice injectors for?$3.00 and want them badly but know less than nothing about them.
    Any help appreciated.

11. lradke

Both Schick and Personna make injector blades still (ex: http://connaughtshaving.com/injectorblades.html). Personally I prefer to use the Schick branded ones, as they are smoother for me. Most online vendors will sell them, so you should have no trouble finding them at all! :)

- - - - -

This morning I had my first shave with the Cobra Classic. My initial thoughts when I started shaving were:
    - this thing is heavy!!!
    - the razor blade is huge!!
    - grip is interesting, I don't want it to fall!

What I experienced was a razor that can cover twice the territory in half the time. The shave was smooth, but nothing to write home about as I was focusing on the angle and adjusting to the larger blade. I quickly found out that due to the weight and shape of the handle, I couldn't twirl the razor around as I do all my other ones. That being said though, the shave was smoother than any other injector style razor I had used! It left next to no irritation, and I had a blast using it!

I can see why these are in high demand, and I'm excited I was able to get one!

12. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Thanks for the info.
    Yea, I dont care for the handle on the Cobra either but love SE.
    Absolutely cant wait for the Huntlee with its straight , interchangeable handle and all.

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

so the injector is made differently and isnt the same as a feather type?
    The injector razors wont use anything BUT injector blades?

14. lradke

If what you mean by "feather type" is the feather AC line of razors, then your correct, they are different. Injector blades are about half the length of feather pro blades. As for the second question, that is correct. Injector razors will only use injector blades. No other blade will work.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Ask and you shall recieve....Thanks, I have been wanting to ask.

16. lradke

Anytime! If you have any other questions just post them. :)

17. lradke

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386694800.614284.jpg

So day 2 with the Cobra. Today's shave was much smoother! Not only was I better rested before shaving, but I had more confidence in my grip and technique. I even managed to hit the sweet spot for the razor for a good chunk of my shave! :) The blade felt smoother today, than it did yesterday, which means it is most likely dulling down to the super sharp level (from insane sharp ;) ). Now, I am only 2 shaves in...do I have buyers remorse? This razor set me back nearly $200! The most I had spent on a razor up to this point was around $40, so that's quite the leap! If I'm completely honest with myself, the answer is "No, I don't regret buying it!"

I have no regret at all because it is just such a fine razor! It's beautiful, solidly built, extremely simple to use, and a very hot commodity (in case I hated it and needed to sell it, I would not worry about it not selling).

I would honestly recommend people to sign up on the pass around, to get a feel for the razor! It is truly an experience in itself! I can't wait to learn it better and get to the point where I shave with it, with my eyes closed. :)

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Indeed, he is.

19. sffone

sffone Member

My all-time favorite razor is the Gem Clog-Pruf Micromatic, but gaining in favor is the Gem bullet-handled Micromatic. I really enjoy my vintage Gillettes, but there's something special about the Micromatics. Admittedly, Gem's very first Micromatic, the open comb, is a bit too aggressive for me, but the CP and the bullet-tipped give me an incredibly close shave with no hint of harshness.

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I could have written that. I acquired mine in the order in which they appeared, and they just kept getting better. Like you, I prefer the CP and the BT. They are my favorite of the Gem razors.

Bird Lives likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.