My teaching career............

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Bronco, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Am I getting older or what?
    1. Last week a student sat down in class and began beating on his desk to the beat of the music being played over the intercom. When I said “Hey Ringo, knock off the drumming,” his response was, “Who’s Ringo?”
    2.The other day I had the students do a group project where they were to turn in one sheet of paper representing the entire group’s work. In addition, I also told them that unless their name was Prince, Sting, or Madonna, that each paper was to have the first and last names of each student. I then endured the common responses of “Who’s Sting?” followed by “Who’s The Prince?”
    3.But the best (worst) one came yesterday when I asked the students to define the word phonograph. When I asked for the dictionary definition the students were confused by the technical definition. Then they were especially confused when I said that the phonograph is something near and dear to my heart. After some deliberation, one student came up with the following response: “It’s that thing that old people used to listen to music on!”

And I thought the kids not knowing who ZZ Top was a couple of years ago was bad enough, but this – especially the remark about the phonograph – is going to kill me! If you’ll excuse me I think I’ll take my Metamucil and go to bed. :eek:

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Oh this is GREAT!! Now the Princess has someone ELSE to pick on!! :D

Oh, and don't forget your Depends! :rofl:rofl:rofl

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

At least we know what you're talking about. I get the same thing from my daughter but it's even worse for her since she did not come to the U.S. until 18 months ago. I get a lot of strange looks from her at times when I reference "old" things. :D

4. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I've heard of both Madonnas but who are Sting, Prince and ZZ Top? :confused:

My youngest graduated from high school in 1985. About the only youngsters I talk with these days are the dancers in my lap but we never seem to discuss pop music. I have heard of Michael Jackson. Does that count?

My wife has about 2,000 LPs and a turntable hooked to a nine-speaker home theater system. I think I could discuss a dozen different variations of phonographs including the crank up my aunt had, the portable I had in college and the first color TV we bought which had a phonograph in the maple console cabinet. I paid $998 for it half price at a Sears Christmas sale in 1971. It had a HUGE 21-inch screen!

Richard

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Parents today, in general, pander to their kids too much. That is why they don't know about past music. Parents would rather keep the kids happy, and liking them. So they let the kids say what music gets played in the car, and group settings.

My parents listened to their music in the car, rather than my music. That's why I know about people like The Beatles, CCR, Queen, and many, many more. And I'm better for it. :D

6. Kenrup

Kenrup Member

I keep telling kids they are getting cheated with CDs. I when I was a kid the disk was bigger AND they had music on both sides of the disk!:D

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Now that's funny right there!!!!!!!

Raf

8. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I had a little girl in my school tell me that she saw one of those old fashioned CD players once.

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Now THAT's one to remember :rofl
    Hell, I'm 21 myself but I know what a phonograph is and I know about Sting, Madonna, Prince and many more. In return I can't even spell the names of the so-called musicians the kids nowadays listen to...

The times are definitely changing, eh?

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

:rofl

:shocked029

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

"musicians" ....yeah, right.
    Kids today wouldnt know musicality if it hit em square in the face.
    Now here......
    here is some talent.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbv6r_tKnE[/ame]

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

And the battle has been won... :rofl

13. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

I can't figure out what it is about this I find most disturbing. The way Bill goes on and on with this entire song completely in character, the way the audience sits there patiently lapping it up, never laughing once, or the way I sat there memorized, watching it. Unreal.

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Shatner released an enitire cd of new music done in this fashion about a year and a half ago called "has been"

No that's not a joke.

15. Johnmw1

Johnmw1 New Member

Hi Steve,

What age kids do you teach, just curious?

Cheers
    John

16. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Grades 9-12, that wonderful age of "I don't know". :D
    Of course some know music from the past because their parents have provided it in the home....others.....have no clue!

17. sysiphus

sysiphus Member

How did this slip by every responder after it? This had me :rofl:rofl until I was gasping for air and trying not to puke!!

PAY ATTENTION, PEOPLE! That's signature material right there.::

18. Johnmw1

Johnmw1 New Member

When you say grades 9-12 does that mean ages 9-12, sorry I'm not familiar with the U.S schooling system. What subjects etc do you teach.

Sorry about the questions and all that, I'm just keen to learn a bit about how your schools there would deal with a child with learning disabilities IE dyslexia and HD&D.

Cheers
    John

19. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

My son is a huge classic rock fan. He knows most all the lyrics to songs that his friends at school have never heard of. I actually pick on him because he doesn't know what kids his own age are listening to these days :rofl

Yep, I'm a proud father :D

20. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Sorry John, they vary in age from 14 through 18. I teach basic engineering and drafting as a vocational or college prep course.

Best!