My first straight shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by renol, Dec 17, 2013.

1. renol

renol New Member

I recently picked up a straight razor and tried my hand at it. Learning curve is right! The equipment wasn't at fault. The razor was sharp and cut hair on my arm very easily and caught on my nail as well. For my first shave I used a 5/8 George Wostenholm & Son Celebrated IXL Frameback wedge.

After a shower I put on some pre-shave oil and worked up a good lather with my brush and cream. That was the easy part. I had nothing but trouble figuring out how to hold the razor right in a way that felt comfortable. Then I had trouble finding the right angle for the razor to cut instead of scrape. I had to do numerous passes beyond the recommended 3 passes because I was afraid of applying too much pressure. I had to give up after a while because I was irritating my skin with too many passes even with reapplication of cream. I had to use my cartridge razor to touch up to make it all presentable.

I think I'm gonna wait a few days to let my face heal before I try again. I didn't have too many cuts but I did have a half inch long slice near my jaw from too much pressure/bad angle combo I'd guess. I hate to say it but maybe I should spend the money on having a barber give me a shave so I can get a better idea on what its supposed to feel like.

I'm disappointed in myself for not doing well even though it was my first time. I know I set the bar way too high for myself but still gonna try. Maybe next time my bar will be set much more realistically!

macaronus and Tdmsu like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Congrats on your first Straight shave! I recently took the plunge with a straight razor and you are absolutely spot on about the learning curve.
    There are plenty of experienced SR shavers here at TSD and many ae willing to share their expertise.

One thing I have learned in my limited SR exposure is a light touch and correct angle is essential. Plus, I decided to take it slow—only do a few portions (cheeks only, for example) for each shave until I comfortably found both touch & angle. It takes time so I'm in no hurry. It wasn't until my 6-7 shave with an SR that I actually did a complete job. Two passes—with the grain, across the grain. I still do some touch up with a DE. In time, that extra DE step may not be necessary.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Don't give up! Firstly, while learning you will better off with a shallow angle of attack, by keeping the spine on or just barely off of the skin. Start out with just the sideburns and cheek and finish with a DE or cart. Keep doing that until your comfortable and then move on to other areas. I highly recommend going over to SRP and reading the beginners wiki.

macaronus and HolyRollah like this.
  4. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Someday I'll try a SR. For now I applaud your efforts! Keep at it!

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I applaud you!!! Although I've never used/tried a SR (out of fear) just trying is great. Don't be disappointed, everything has a learning curve. Keep shaving away! You'll do it!

6. renol

renol New Member

Thanks for the advice HolyRollah. I'll have to take my time more with shaving.

Williams- I will definitely try the shallow angle next time. I've read through a lot of the stickys and read the 30 pages by Dr Moss but reading and taking action are quite far apart. Sometimes I wish I was a "Pretender" (tv show from the 90s). The guy was the type of genius that could read a book about heart surgery and then perform a flawless operation. But reality is pain sometimes :p

I'll keep at it and I'm sure I'll have it better downpat after a dozen or two shaves.

macaronus likes this.
  7. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Kudos to you!!!! I have been tempted to try a shavette.....all in good time!!

8. renol

renol New Member

I'm just a glutton for punishment...and stubborn enough to not care when I've made up my mind

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The irony is you desire to master SR shaving quickly, and everything I've read and been told is just the opposite. Aggravating the skin & blood-letting by aggressively pursuing a complete SR shave means you'll have to allow MORE time for your face to heal, which is contrary to the pursuit of a close, comfortable shave. I view SR shaving as another skill set in my 'shaving' quiver that requires a generous level of patience and practice.

Tdmsu and macaronus like this.
  10. renol

renol New Member

Interesting. I really should take my time then. Maybe it'd help if I had a strop. The razor I used was honed but hasn't been used in some time and it felt like it was tugging on the hair instead of slicing through it. I've got a strop ordered and won't use the razor again until then but yea I probably should've waited

macaronus and HolyRollah like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Excellent! My first shave I didn't strop and it wasn't pleasant! On all subsequent shaves, I made sure a good stropping was done before letting the blade near my face. Big difference!

macaronus likes this.
  12. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

SRs never feel as sharp as they should be when you're starting out. That's an angle and technique issue that will disappear in time.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088: And they only get better!

14. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your first Straight Razor shave! It can take a while to get the right angle and technique nailed down. Keep at it. Remember "slow is fast".

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, you need a strop.

Honing is for the razor, stropping is for the face.

You need to make sure you read up on stropping before you start at it. If you go all "hollywood" on it you'll screw up the edge (it's called rolling it). If you roll it, it'll need to be honed. If the edge isn't mirror shiny, you really need to not put it on your face without expecting a fight. The shaving bevel needs to look like a serial killer is coming after you, its so shiny.

macaronus and Williams Warrior like this.
  16. renol

renol New Member

I read about rolling it just recently actually. There's a few videos on another site I plan to watch for proper technique. Out of curiosity does the number of round trips on a strop vary between razors or is there an approximate number that covers most?

17. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think cartridge to straight is a big jump. Most guys here start with a safety razor which builds control and light touch and then switch over. I'm impressed with your commitment. Take your time, watch every video you can find and keep reading. Take your time when putting your skills to the test. What's the saying..."If it were easy everyone would do it."
    As far as getting shaved by a pro. In my experience, if the guy is good, your not going to feel much at all and your not in a position to watch (reclined in the barbers chair). But it could be an enjoyable experience none the less.

macaronus likes this.
  18. renol

renol New Member

I wouldn't say its commitment so much as it is being lazy and cheap. I've wanted to do the straight razor for a while and figured why waste the money on a DE setup and learn that then be stuck with it when I switch to a straight and have a whole new learning curve all over again. I have a tendency to try and dive right into the deep end of stuff and sink or swim. Pretty much how I've learned photography...just got a good camera and went at it. My photography has come a long way since I first started and it continues to evolve as I push my boundaries and so too will my shaving.

Tdmsu and macaronus like this.
  19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

As far as getting shaved, I've held off personally because of all the posts I've read, nobody ever really seems to love it like one does when they do it themselves.

You could try it but I doubt you'll learn much since you can't really watch.

HolyRollah likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Or, conversely you could shave someone else. You'll get instant feedback on how you're doing by the reaction on the face of your victim…err….volunteer. ;):p