First Straight?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Star, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Star

Star Active Member

Any objections to getting This One?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

That strop should work just fine.

3. sgtrock

sgtrock New Member

I think one of the trickiest parts of SR shaving for me has been learning my hair pattern. I have hair growing in four different directions on my neck and realizing that even in this early stage has already elevated my shave.

macaronus likes this.
  4. Star

Star Active Member

Yeah it's strange how that works... My hair grows downwards and then switched direction completely on my neck in such a way that a 'top-down' stroke is actually against the grain on my neck.

macaronus likes this.
  5. Star

Star Active Member

Finally pulled the trigger on the 5/8 white Dovo 'best' with the 3" latigo strop :)

macaronus, gssixgun, Raven312 and 2 others like this.
  6. renol

renol New Member

This thread is rather helpful! In terms of first straights then the preferences are along the lines of 5/8 full hollow with good shoulders?

7. Star

Star Active Member

I'm about five shaves in and today was the first 'attempt' that actually got me someplace close to a respectable shave. The good news is that I haven't killed myself. No nicks or burn to speak of (yet). I am, in fact, very much alive. The bad news is that I have a LOT to learn in terms of angle-management (insert TM symbol here). I have a problem with using too much angle and not getting a clean shave. Same applied for my very bad stretching skills. Today was better. I managed to get it close enough that it's wearable. I doubt most mere mortals would find fault in it really. I'm not happy with it, of course, but I am happy to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Lessons learned so far? 30 degrees doesn't mean go for 85 and think it will be OK. Stretch the skin, because you won't get anywhere if you don't.

macaronus likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I would keep the blade as low as possible. When you go east to west, lower the angle still more. Against the grain still lower. Against the grain on the neck, almost flat.

macaronus likes this.
  9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

That's what I'd recommend, adding round tip and stay away from extra hollow, as those can bite you real easily.

macaronus likes this.
  10. Star

Star Active Member

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to keep at it and try not to get discouraged.

11. lindyhopper66

Yes, do not get discouraged. Enjoy the experience. Shaving with a straight feels like a very zen-like, in the moment, full attention, full relaxation time.

It does take a long time to get a feel for it. I've been shaving with a straight for a year and a half and still feel like I'm learning and still nick my self. The chin is always a frustrating area to try to shave clean.

12. gussy37

gussy37 New Member

Hi gents I am contemplating changes from my throw away razors and cartridges to the straight razor. Is there a way to make the change on the cheap?

13. lindyhopper66

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to sign up for the January Newbie Give-Away.

I have yet to hear anything negative about Larry and Whipped Dog.

15. renol

renol New Member

I was reminded of that yesterday when I made the mistake of getting cocky and not taking my time. That being said I do like how the full hollow shaves as compared to a wedge.

16. gussy37

gussy37 New Member

I've put a post in the thread thanks. Just an update I found a Fromm on Ebay for under 40 bucks. I hope it's a good buy. If not whipped dog will be my next stop.

17. Duane Putnam

Duane Putnam New Member

Any suggestion on a good straight razor, the fact that I shave my head as well, blades get very expensive!

18. galhatz

galhatz Member

A few notes:
    I have a Dovo Best Quality, 5/8 half hollow. The blade is great, the scales are crap. I'd avoid that model and get something better.
    In fact, if you don't mind not being the first owner, you can get excellent, truly excellent vintage razor on the sale boards in the forums.

Don't get water in the pivot area. Buy a bottle of ballistol and keep that area oiled, the oil would repel water.if you do get it wet, dry it the best you can otherwise it would rust.

I have the starshaving paddle (lap) strop and i cannot recommend it but i heard good things of their hanging strops. Buy a replacement leather with the strop. After you nick one side, unscrew it, flip the strop so you have a fresh nick free side. After you are done messing up that strop change the leather and live like a king.
    Whippeddog strops are pretty good actually. I actually prefer 2" strops to 3" ... go figure.

It took me about 20 shaves to get good results. It's a great hobby.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014