Oiling up that razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

[insert snark about routers being a tool to access the internet and oiling them up] ;)

tuxxdk likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:duel:

:happy097:

3. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

:signs011: Watched a video from razor emporium of them refurbishing a Gillette SS. They used mineral oil on the TTO mechanism. Mineral oil is food safe as well so there is less to worry about as with other oils.

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

How about olive oil?

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No on the olive oil. Since it's made from a fruit it can go rancid.

GDCarrington and tuxxdk like this.
  6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

My thought, thanks for clearing it up :)

As Gary mentioned previously - 50 years ago - who counted on the razors to outlast man himself?

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I used gun oil on my Aristocrat when the mechanism was getting sticky. Boiled it twice with some dish soap (this was Rhodium so I didn't need to worry about the finish), and one drop down the barrel, moved the TTO about 20 times and it's been smooth as silk for the last few months. I would have used mineral oil but whatever, didn't have any at home - my oil is a skin irritant normally but I washed everything off the external surfaces and haven't had any spillage from within the mechanism.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

No place. I just oil my razors because I choose to. I've never read anywhere that you have to oil your razor.

9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I don't believe the no lubrication thing because in a 60 year old Fatboy there is how much goop in that mechanism? Not tons but enough that it will become noticeable over time; they may have designed it to work without lube but let's consider the fact that they didn't expect someone to use the same razor for 50+ years either.

tuxxdk likes this.
  10. Nolan1982

Nolan1982 Member

I use a tooth brush and dish soap. Keeps them clean and doesn't collect junk like oil