Has anyone shaved their head with a straight?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by cl00bie, Dec 28, 2013.

1. cl00bie

cl00bie Member

Straight shaving seems pretty visual, has anyone here ever shaved their head with a straight (with most of it being "blind")?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I hear that a guy named Van Gough tried it once....

fanhui23, Ryan B, Tsalagi44 and 3 others like this.
  3. Jim Winters

Jim Winters Member

I am sure someone has had a mind to and only half a mind the second time.........

Good question though, hate to be the guy that tries it first though if no one ever has...... Be like that first person to ever skydive ...................

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I have. Found it took too long to get my skull as smooth as I wanted. No missing skin though.

5. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I used a straight for a while but like Neolithium said it's a bit too long, I prefer the Feather DX to shave my head, the blade is shorter and sharper, one pass is all it takes.

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Head shave with a straight? :scared007:

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

A former member here that goes by OneOldGI head shaves with a straight.

8. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I'm glad this thread came up as I have been wondering the exact same thing. When I have the time I will try it and will definitely let you all know how it went.

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I could never do such a thing, as I get a severe case of the Heebie Jebbies just thinking about it.

tuxxdk and Tsalagi44 like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Provided it all goes well :p

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So long as this thread doesn't meander into the topic of 'man-scaping' with a straight, plus pics, then I think we'll all be okay… :eek:

12. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Aaawwww...mumbling as I walk off kicking gravel.

13. Chasmo

Chasmo New Member

Hello Fellas,
    This is my first time to chime in on this site. But, I straight shave the top of my head, behind my ears and my neck generally once a week. I only have this patch of hair that wraps around over my ears. My roof is all skin. A handheld mirror shows me where I am in the places I can't see in the bathroom mirror. It is like combing my hair with a straight razor. Easy day.

Regards

Chasmo

macaronus likes this.
  14. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I shave my head once a week with a (fixed handle) Feather RG or SS, with either KAI Mild Blades or Feather Guard blades. On the back, I use the hand not holding the razor to help me guide where/how to move. Slow, but works great.

macaronus likes this.
  15. newb

newb Resident Newb

I've shaved my head many times with a st8 or even shavette. The key is to have a fair amount of experience with your tools. Also, I had shaved my head for a couple of years with d/e and s/e, before jumping into str8. I had plenty of experience shaving "blind". It's really not that hard to do. It just takes experience, practice and patience. That being said, for my head shaving " now a days" I generally now use a d/e, s/e, or a Quattro. For me the reward of head shaving with a str8 is not worth the risk of slices or bleeders that I may experience using a str8 ( really, if your a head shaver it's embarrassing to have a scabbed up noggin, and to me it happens more often when using a str8 or even an aggressive razor , say R41). I've grown to prefer a quick clean smooth shave with out blood. but YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    macaronus and CyanideMetal like this.
  16. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

That kind of sums it up for me as well, and hence why I said that I shave my head with a str8 only once a week ;). But I do get the closest shave possible, so I keep doing it once a week :D.

macaronus likes this.
  17. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I second this.

macaronus likes this.
  18. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

When I eventually venture into str8 shaving, I believe I'll also try shaving my head as well - but only after getting a technique down on my face, and then, very carefully and extremely slowly until I see if I can do it without causing head trauma. ;)

19. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Whoops... there went the lobe :p

20. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Yeah, I'm dangerous like that - in a razor gang out of California...SOA - Shaves of Anarchy, Sandalwood Original ;)