New to soaps, recommendations appreciated.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Razor Blade 79, Jan 25, 2014.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have used Williams in the past, I used to always shave with a Gillette DE Safety Razor, but then I couldn't find replacement Blades so I went to a Dchick Razor and the went to the disposable type and got tired of the blades getting plugged up and having to use two of them to shave. (Bic razors):shaver

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Arko is good

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

4. synth

synth Member

Save yourself time & money (believe it or not) by going ahead and getting Martin De Candre. Best soap on the planet and super easy to lather. The sooner you get it the fewer other soaps you'll be trying to sell to someone else. ;)

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Queen of Blades likes this.
  6. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

For a pleasurable first experience with soaps, you can't go wrong with Arko or Tabac. As always scent satisfaction is subjective, but I like both of these. They make good first time soaps because they are fairly effortless to lather. They represent both sides of the price spectrum with Arko being cheap and Tabac being a little more costly. RazoRock makes really nice soaps that hit right in the middle. The Classic and Don Marco are both nice.

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

TSD Lanolin is top notch. Palmolive stick, Arko stick, Cella, and any old skool vintage tallow based is a great place to start. There are other soaps available but I recommend that you start with something that is easy to lather.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I do agree with much of what you say—MdC is a truly exceptional soap that easily lathers, although it comes at a substantial price. A single puck, it appears, will last a very long time.

9. g-in-wc

g-in-wc Member

I've used VDH, Williams and Col Conk soaps. My technique has gotten better with soaps and Col Conk Amber is in my rotation currently. I'm satisfied with it.

10. jaystone

jaystone New Member

VDH was my first soap but won't be getting it again. I'm currently rotating between an Omega cream and Conk soaps which provide a smoother shave and all around more satisfying experience.:chores016: