ARKO appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Darkbulb, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Nope, no drying here either

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have never used it. Maybe I should put it on my "to try list". :shaver

Shaver X and richgem like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Many of you know I am not a fan of Williams at all - not crazy about the skeeter-be-gone smell AND the fact that I can never get a consistently good, usable lather out of the stuff. Why would I want to try Arko when it smells just like Williams?

So here's the story. A buddy and I were out killing time yesterday and decided to stop in an Army-Navy store in town. Right next door was a farmer's market, so thought we'd check it out. Turns out it's not so much a farmer's market that I'm used to seeing, but a Turkish market. Eh, let's look around. That's when I spot it - their shaving section. They had Derby 5 and 10 pack blades, Shaving Factory brushes, Shaving Factory DEs, aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnd... Arko in stick and puck. All the great things I read about Arko, at $1.29 for the stick, figured I had to give it a go. So I pay the lady, $1.38 after tax, and head out.

Getting home I unwrap it and it worked - there were no skeeters in my house! ;)
    I don't like shaving sticks so I took it to the cheese grate to shred it, mashed it down into a small glass bowl, and waited for today's shave. Yes, it smells very much like Williams, but that's where the similarity ended. This stuff lathered up like nobody's business into a thick, rich, creamy lather that actually lasted through an entire pass. Heck! It lasted through all three passes!!

For a soap with this much bang for the buck, coupled with the fact I don't have to order it and deal with shipping charges and the wait, I can put up with the skeeter-be-gone smell. :D

And to those of you who love your Williams - more power to ya.

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Steve, who cracked your computer?? I can't believe what I'm reading :D

macaronus and swarden43 like this.
  5. PatrickA51

Where was this store @?

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Rt 130 S, Delran, NJ, not too far from you. :angry021:

7. PatrickA51

If you believe that I have about 4000 acres of swamp land and the Brooklyn Bridge for sale really cheap:Animatedfrozensmily::shaver:bamspam:

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

One of Arko's fiercest critics, won over !Champagne for everyone !

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've been wanting to try some Arko. I don't see any haters here. I think I will try it. I don't care for mosquitoes either.

macaronus likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Used it again today - great lather and scent :)

macaronus likes this.
  11. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Yep, love the Arko. Put off trying it for a long time due to it being kind of polarizing nature. I'm glad that I did, it's a regular in my rotation now. Wanting to try the Ice Mint cream also.

Jayaruh and macaronus like this.
  12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

[​IMG]

macaronus and swarden43 like this.
  13. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I forgot Arko on my last order again!!!!! Argh :(

macaronus likes this.
  14. PatrickA51

I guess maybe I will see if the CVS has some tomorrow morning. :shaver

15. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Now why would you do such a thing?? :eek: Get a stick on eBay, if shipping aint too high for Canada. My "Arko-dealer" has free shipping to Denmark, I wonder if it's the same to your place?

macaronus likes this.
  16. PatrickA51

I'll look for some for you a CVS Pharmacy tomorrow. probably cost less for the rube than it costs to mail it to you in Canada. :angry017:

macaronus likes this.
  17. newb

newb Resident Newb

I hate the smell of Arko, but I LOVE the performance. Leave it open, Let it air out and enjoy the shave. IMHO there are not many soaps that perform as well as ARKO.

crackstar and Jayaruh like this.
  18. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

We do have it at Italian Barber but my latest order was from Bullgoose for some stuff, paid for it and then after the fact went "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I FORGOT IT AGAIN" One of these days I'll remember LOL.

crackstar likes this.
  19. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Second time using the Arko stick today and it went much better then the first. The first time I used the Arko, I was a little under the weather and the scent got to me. The performance was great, I just could not shake the scent. I wouldn't say it was bad, just strong. That was a few weeks ago, so I brought it out for face lather week, and was not disappointed. The scent was not as overpowering, still not sure if I like it or not, but the performance is great. A quick, easy lather that lasts and offers great performance. I probably wont be using it tomorrow, but it will stay in rotation.

newb likes this.
  20. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I love the scent of the Arko stick a lot. It's a clean, soapy scent with no frills and very honest as a performer.

newb likes this.