mitchells wool fat disappointment

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by nathan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

What if anything do you attribute to your new found success Ryan?

2. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I never have had a problem getting a great lather with MWF but once I saw the "Recluse " method and began using it I get a great, thick, creamy lather out the ying yang with it. I explain the method in the "Boar Revisited" thread in the "Brushes" forum.

Roderick likes this.
  3. cswann1

cswann1 Member

Hmmm...I may need to reconsider. It sounds like it doesn't work well for everyone. But when it it works. ..it reaaaally works well.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Well, it may not work for you, but you owe it to yourself to mess around a bit more with it before you make that determination.

DO some test lathers. Try different things. More water. Less water. More load time. Less load time. You'll either figure it out or you could be one of the unlucky ones who just don't have the right water or something. *shrugs* who knows, but you gotta try.

It is lovely if you can get it to work for you.

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. nathan

nathan Active Member

hi all thanks for the comments i used it for the third time since my first post and it worked lovely following the comments and videos it was fine. thanks for all the input
    nathan

6. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

My only mwf gripe is that the brush is tougher to rinse off after usage. It seems some soaps clean off easier. Mwf clings to the brush a bit more than MdC.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I've been using the MWF on Sunday mornings for the past few weeks, it's one of my favorites. I checked my shave log and I've used it 25 times in the last 7 months and the puck looks like it's hardly been used. It makes a great lather if you keep it hydrated and make sure you load enough on the brush.

PLANofMAN and Roderick like this.
  8. Dennis Fish

Dennis Fish New Member

I am constantly surprised that anyone has problems with this soap. I find among the easiest soaps to lather. I find them all easy, some just are not slick or moisturizing. MWF is my favorite.

Roderick and jmsodpc like this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Well I sold my MWF and bowl. Not because it wasn't working (I got it to work greatly), but because I didn't use it enough. It deserved to be with someone who would use it a lot.

10. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

For me, keeping it hydrated has been the key to getting great lather easily with MWF. After months of sparse use in the summer it shrinks and dries out. I followed advice someone from the Den gave about watering it for a week, which turns it into a croap that lathers quite easily. From there on the croap state continues as long as I use it at least twice a week, adding a little water when done.

11. RVshave

RVshave New Member

I've had problems with it but even then the lather was quite slick, have to use warm water not hot, once you get it down you'll love it the after shave feel is real nice.

battle.munky likes this.
  12. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Well today was only day 2 for me with the MWF, but I have to say that it's off to a fine start. Lathers easily and yields a thick, creamy foam that feels nice and slick on my face and leaves the skin wonderfully soft. Brilliant stuff. It's a bit more strongly perfumed than I was expecting, but it's not unpleasant and I imagine my sensitivity to it will fade with use. I don't think I could be much happier with it at this point!

:eatdrink013: :eatdrink013: :eatdrink013:

Roderick likes this.
  13. sharpedge1188

sharpedge1188 New Member

I love MWF. Your best bet is this:
    1.grate the puck
    2.soak the soap in hot water before using
    3.load the brush for 30 seconds
    4.lather in a bowl
    If you follow those it will help you greatly. Especially grating the puck. They soap cake is very hard. After grating it will lather MUCH easier! Give it a shot and im sure you will be impressed with the fat! :)

14. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Rub.
    The.
    Puck.
    On.
    Your.
    Face.

ajdhn and DLreno like this.
  15. newb

newb Resident Newb

MWF is picky. It can be hard to lather, but once you figure it out, it's an awesome soap.

16. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Totally agree with that. MWF needs to be used regularly, and it does take some time to break-in. I have other soaps that can be used well after a good layover. MWF is not one of them. Once I start using it (in the cold months) I find it must be used it 2-3 times a week. At this pace it gives me super rich lather faster than anything I have used (except Cella).

17. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

That!

18. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I'll take it

19. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

MWF was the first quality soap that I used. I cannot imagine not having this soap. It is my desert Island soap, the one soap I would not be without. I have so many soaps, that TLOTH says I will run out of face before I run out is soap. I use MWF a minimum of 2 times a week.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I've never tried MWF because of this hard-to-lather reputation it has for some people. Its the same thing we often here about Williams "It works great but you have to do these five bullet point steps to get there".