Still searching for the BBS.......

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jmckay0901, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jmckay0901

jmckay0901 Active Member

So I've been shaving with a DE razor for a little over a year, I think by now I've got my technique pretty under control. Rarely do I end up with any weepers let alone nicks. I use Proraso pre-shave both before and after I shave, and normally shave with a Parker 89R using a mix of Proraso sensitive soap and the made by Proraso c.o. Bigelow cream. My favorite blades are the astra platinum blades. I use a 3 pass technique but I have a pretty screwed up growth pattern, it's pretty swirly, and somewhat skin that is prone to ingrown hairs so I also use bump stop. Most days I end up with a damn fine shave and even a couple spots of BBS, but I have yet to find the BBS shave along my jawline. Any suggestions? Or should I resolve myself to being happy with the DFS to the end of time?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Adriano Arrigo

Adriano Arrigo Well-Known Member

My two cents: try Personna blades and a lighter razor, and try open comb. I start using a Muhle R89, but didn't find very satisfied until I tried a Gillette Old Type Ball End : open comb and very much light. Since then rarely I've found better razors. For exam'le today I've used a Neillite Fourhundred, a bakelite (so very light) WWII razor. Well, a good shave, very deep but very mild. About blades I think that sharper is better... I've tried good blades but nothing better than Personna Platinum, Rapira and Feather. Rember anyway that what's good for me, not necessarily is good for you :) . Good shaves !!

jmckay0901 likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I think BBS is way overused! What my BBS is, may not be your BBS. As long as you're happy, and think you have a DFS. That's all that matters! Happy shaving!

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've arrived Jon...The most important thing is a consistant pain,irritation and nick free DFS shave, that satisfies you!!:happy088: Don't "chase the baby"....A true BBS(smooth all over, in all directions) I.M.O. is greatly dependent on hair and skin type(things you have no control over) as well as technique and product used...

One thing I would reccomend,but take this with a grain of salt, as I do have a "terminal case" of RAD!! Try changing your razor(different razors do shave differently) or even just your handle...Different handle lengths,weights and especially knurling can make a difference in your shave, at least it did for me "YMMV"....I like using a Weber BullDog type handle very much, but Weber also makes a Classic handle(same weight and knurling as the BD) just longer...Greistshaving and UFO also make heavier/grippier handles..:)

jmckay0901 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I bet that if you resign yourself to a DFS for all time, the baby will find you.

6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

My jawline and chin are pretty tough because the whiskers are very thick (both in diameter and density) there. So I often need a touch up pass there to get everything. Those whiskers grow generally from my ear towards my adam's apple so my touch up pass is ATG from adam's apple to ear. With a sharp blade like a Personna Lab or Feather, I can turn my head to the side and lower it so it flattens out that area of my jawline and do the pass that way. It helps because I don't have to negotiate the curve and stretching the skin tight there actually makes the whiskers lay flat making them harder to shave. Just be aware, shaving with lots of slack in your skin is a little tricky. If a whisker catches on the blade and doesn't cut, you can give yourself some nicks. That's why a really sharp blade is needed at least for me.

So, I think the answer is to keep working on techniques to improve your shave but you may want to try some different blades or even a different razor. But I think if you're happy with your razor, technique and blades are where it's really at.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All great advice so far.
    I do know this, though - there are razors in my rotation that just seem to very difficult to get BBS, and there are others that seem to get BBS almost every time. Consider your razor.

jmckay0901, fram773 and battle.munky like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

I totally agree with you! By replacing the Muhle R41 handle with a Weber BD changed the way the razor handled. And of course the angle.

jmckay0901 likes this.
  9. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Hey Jon, you're definitely not the only one. I can say too I've got a good combination I can go to and get a very comfortable shave, but for me it's always tricky on the neck to get rid of all the whiskers, and not get irritation. I did find however that when I got a my 39C sledgehammer, I could go WTG twice on the neck and the result was still comfortable but quite closer than with my usual DE89.

Not that I want to cause RAD for anyone (including myself), but I think a more aggressive razor might be the solution. I had tried the OC RazoRock Jaws but found this was just tearing my face apart. I might revisit that with a sharp blade (Rapira), but otherwise I was considering the Muhle R41 or something in between that and my DE89. I know a few fellow members found their happy place with more aggressive razors, and I will consider doing the same, budget allowing. I'm sure everybody's perfect combo is slightly different, so it's hard to say what will work for sure without trying it first! In the meantime, I'm pretty happy with a DFS. To me, the fun about wet shaving isn't getting BBS on the first day, but the journey to get there. Chasing the BBS usually means irritation for me, and then more money spent trying to fix it with different gear. I'm sure your path will be different too, but I'm sure you'll find what works for you!

10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Put your fingers on your cheek and pull your skip UP. This will pull the skin on your jawline up onto your cheek so it's easier to shave on a flat surface.

11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I almost achieved the legendary BBS last night, but I got to excitied after almost a week of not shaving and... missed... hahaha

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I personally do not chase the BBS shave. I am happy for a near BBS shave. I too have the hardest time with my neck and jaw areas, but as long as I avoid weepers, cuts, and irritation I am pretty happy.

13. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

The jaw & chin are the only hard parts, my grain changes like crazy down there.

jmckay0901 likes this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I think you're right. IMHO though, there should only be one and only BBS - the one where you take a cotton ball and rub ATG - any leftovers and it aint BBS.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another REAL test to see if I achieved a true BBS shave is to rub a wet alum block post-shave over the entirety of your shaved area.
    I clearly feel any rough patches that remain.

jmckay0901 likes this.
  16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

My alum-block is from time to time very smooth and when it is in that state I don't feel any rough patches at all. It just glides over. But on days where it's a bit rough in the surface, sure yes, it'll be felt.

Not trying to be smarty-pants here, I am relatively new, but it wouldn't be a viable test for me with the different blocks I've come across.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I suppose the condition or surface of the block could adversely effect the ability to 'feel' rough spots. I am pretty vigorous with rubbing the block so the tell-tale patches are tough for me to miss. The patches also tend to be in the same areas (jaw line, upper lip, adam's apple) so I'm attuned to anticipate potential roughness as I cover those spots.

jmckay0901 likes this.
  18. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I too have wierd growth patterns, especially on my neck. For me it was a crazy aggressive razor, a Gillette Silver Blue blade and minimum of 4 passes in multiple directions. If you're like me and dont get irritation, chase away. Like I said before, "I chase the baby so hard and so often, he knows my name and cries when he hears it."
    The wierd patches on my neck require their own pass, South east to north west, in order to hit them atg and get bbs.
    Good luck, if you start to burn, back off. If not, run that baby down!

By the way, to me BBS is where you rub your fingertips over your entire face and neck, and you feel zero pricks, no sandpaper feel in any direction. To me it means, as the name implies, Baby butt smooth. Babys dont have sandpaper on their butts when you rub them in ANY direction.

19. RaZorBurn123

This is the same criteria I use. In order to reach that point so many factors need to be perfect! Not saying I've never had a BBS. But at what price. I'll take a DFS everyday all days.

jmckay0901, Cool Breeze and tuxxdk like this.
  20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

After 30 + years of harsh sun, saltwater and wind, my face is so leathred. The only discomfort I get is the ocasional ripping when I try to use a blade too long.

jmckay0901 likes this.