SoS: January 27, 2014 - February 2, 2014

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jan 26, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:eek::sick007:

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Again so nice ... twice!

[​IMG]

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Iyi!!!!!!!

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Tonight's shave.

Prep : hot shower, Cremo Face Wash.
    Brush : Turkish #6 Brush.
    Razor : '62 Gillette Slim set on 6 for the first pass, 3 for the second pass.
    Blade : Personna Med Prep.
    Soap : Razorock XXX sample.
    Post : cold water rinse, Razorock XXX AS made by Fine Aftershaves but has Razorock XXX branding, and Phyto balm.

The Med Prep doesn't seem like a good blade for my Slim. I got 3 weepers and one nick on the corner of my mouth. My sample of Razorock XXX is almost gone :(. But I have other stuff to use up, so easy come; easy go. This Razorock XXX AS is pretty awesome. It is loaded with menthol and smells just like the soap. It burned like hell for a half a second and then my face was instantly cooled down. It felt amazing. My face has been taking a beating in the factory, so I put on some Phyto balm as an equalizer.

5. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Friday morning -

Prep - Noxzema & hot towel
    Lather - Mitchell's Wool Fat & suribachi
    Brush - Omega 40033
    Razor - 1909 Gillette ABC
    Blade - Feather (3)

2 pass shave
    Warm water rinse & cold water splash
    Drugstore witch-hazel AS

The ABC's a new acquisition but I'm very happy with it so far. Extremely smooth lil' shaver and sooo pretty to look at! :happy102:

6. crackstar

So, I see you're using a Turkish Horsehair brush just like your Dodi! :signs107:

Ryan B and ram57 like this.
  7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

IMG_20140131_214216_956 (Copy).jpg

I added menthol crystals to my vintage Old Spice. :Animatedfrozensmily:It made for a great finish!

8. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I found a mug exactly like that one. Does yours have three bumps inside to hold the soap? You have any idea how old the mug is ?

ram57 and GDCarrington like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes, it does have bumps. This is what is called a "Hazel Atlas" milk glass mug. There were similar manufacturers making milk glass at the time so you have to check the stampings. Now most of these were made from the 1920s through the 1960s.

Here is the history of Hazel Atlas.

http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/hazel-atlas-glass-company/

Here is some more information.

http://www.essortment.com/collecting-milk-glass-tips-prices-57687.html

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  10. Adriano Arrigo

Adriano Arrigo Well-Known Member

Shave of the day, Saturday February 1st, 2014

[​IMG]

Neillite Four Hundred (bakelite WWII razor)
    Personna Blue Med Prep
    Kiss My Face Lime
    HBG Bay Rum
    Pure badger brush

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod140201.jpg

Dove Men's Face Wash
    Proraso Green Shave Cream
    Frank Shaving Finest Badger
    '62 Gillette Slim
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
    CWR
    Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
    FD Old Spice AS

Today's shave was another great shave. The Proraso Green Shave Cream face lathered wonderfully with the Frank Shaving Finest badger brush. Two passes and touch ups on the neck and chin with the Gillette Slim and Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blade left me near BBS. I finished off with a cold water rinse, Thayers Cucumber WH, and Family Dollar Old Spice after shave. I'm clean, smooth, and refreshed. Nice...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Gillette New LC
    Voskhod (d2)
    Vulfix 2235 Super
    Palmolive Stick/MWF-Face Lather
    Dickenson Witch Hazel
    Pinuad Clubman Virgin Island BR

13. crackstar

Barber_Aftershave_Osage-Rub_LRG.jpg svobodako-vitamin_f-aftershave-balm.jpg IMG_0544_1.JPG Sk16_9.jpg Saturday:

L'Oreal Men Expert Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing: :smiley freezing:
    #6 Horsehair
    Super Speed/Permasharp day 6
    Gada Cool Mint SC :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Svoboda AS Balm :love055: :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing: :smiley freezing:
    Osage Rub AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Chabrawichi 555 Cologne

Even though this shave was a little hurried it turned out to be surprisingly close and smooth - almost BBS. My Super Speed dates back to the 1950s and it gives amazing shaves with a lot of comfort. I've sent this Gada Cool Mint cream to a lot of guys and they all tell me the same thing - it's fantastic. I decided to enjoy it myself today, and the scent, lather, and strong menthol effect gave me so much pleasure. The Svoboda balm and the Rubby Dubby Doo felt wonderful and extra-frigid. :) :D

moz68, Ryan B, fram773 and 15 others like this.
  14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Saturday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Bath Soap
    Soap: LASS Vanilla Eucalyptus Mint
    Razor: Gillette Slim on 6
    Blade: Israeli Red Personna (2)
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip 22mm x 48mm
    Aftershave: Proraso Green

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angle for my beard a bit)

I used the last of my four Los Angeles Shaving Soap samples today, the Vanilla-Eucalyptus-Mint. The scent took me back to my Grandmother’s wild mint from her garden that we used in our iced tea. The LASS does a great job in hard water with a quick, slick lather. The Slim and Israeli Red Personna pitched in too for a great shave today. I finished up with Proraso Green for a little touch of menthol.

Bob

[​IMG]

moz68, Ryan B, fram773 and 16 others like this.
  15. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Late shave before bed at 10:30 PM.

Homemade PSO
    Hot towel on face
    VDH deluxe shave soap-lathered in just arrived salsa bowl:bounce017:
    Merkur 23c
    Astra blade-3rd use-
    3 passes WTG, ATG, XTG
    Stirling Sharp dressed man AS

Really pleased with the astra blades, best shaves and multiple and xtg passes do not leave razor burn. No nicks either.

Salsa bowl made a huge difference in building a lather. I have a good feeling all of my soaps witll last a lot longer now.

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gillette Old Type Bulldog
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Semogue 2000
    Klar Kabinett
    Alum
    Superior 70

Not as close as the R41, but comfortable and irritation free. Too bad they quit on the Klar Kabinett. It's a great soap and I will enjoy it until it is gone.

17. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Saturn's Day (Speick Saturday):

Prep: Hot shower, Crown Shaving Co. Supreme Glide Preshave lotion
    Brush: Beeline Boar
    Cream: Speick
    Razor: FaTip Piccolo Nickel
    Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (4)
    Passes: WTG, XTG (7, 8)

Just two passes today, as my first foray into face-lathering with a cream was more challenging than I expected. Whether due to differences in the brush, in cream vs. soap, or simply my own lack of expertise, it was a lot harder to work up a good lather with the Speick than typical, or than has been the case face-lathering with soaps. I got a DFS result and, as always, the Speick gives outstanding skincare, but I did catch a couple weepers on the same spot on my Adam's Apple that usually gives me trouble.

18. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Shaving Yeti Pass Around - Shore Leave
    I used a shave stick for the first time today as part of the Shaving Yeti pass around. I have the Shore Leave scent, which, to my nose is a mild citrus. After washing my face, I wet the stick and rubbed it around my stubble for a minute, then wet at it with my wetter than usual HIS brush. I was impressed at how easily it exploded into nice slick lather.
    On advice from one of the forums, I stretched my skin and tried to get a DFS from my Old Type in one pass - I guess my beard is pretty coarse, since one pass did not come close to DFS, but two passes works pretty well, with a little touch up. I decided to go XTG on my neck for the first pass, and that worked well, too... I was better able to keep the angle, and I got no weepers. I traded for a flask of my beloved Krampert's Finest Bay Rum, and it did not disappoint. I love the scent and skincare. Just to top it off, and to see if the scents mesh, I added a bit of Synergy Coconut Bay Butter Balm. The combo works for me. My face feels great!

Prep: warm face wash with Shea Moisture TBS
    Soap: Shaving Yeti Shore Leave Stick
    Brush: HIS
    Razor: Gillette Old Type
    Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
    AS: rinse, Krampert's Finest Bay Rum, Synergy Coconut Bay Butter Balm
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391266668.873003.jpg

19. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

SOTD Feb 1 -- Blade Safari Day 1

Prep: Proraso pre-shave white, hot shower
    Razor: WW2 Gillette Khaki
    Blade: Personna Med Prep (day 1)
    Brush: Vie-Long
    Soap: Proraso White tub
    Passes: 2 (WTG, XTG)

Wow! DFS after two passes, and the first pass was pretty close. I might push 3 passes later on with this blade, but I;m more then happy with the results after two passes! Not much sign of irritation from the Nivea Men Cool Kick either. I like this blade!

20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Saturday February 1, 2014 - Face Lather week

Prep: Shower wash and homemade PSO
    Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable Long (3)
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
    Brush: Omega boar
    Soap: Van Der Hagan glycerin and Cella Crema

Did a full head and face shave this morning. Realized that this is too much at one time. It requires a lot of lather for a 2+ shave on the noggin and then the face. I had a difficult time with the second lathering with the VDH on my skull and never could get it right again, so I added some Cella to the mix and finished up quite nicely. By the time I finished my scalp and went to my face, I was just wanting to get done and didn't really enjoy shaving my face. Note to self, face in the morning, skull at eventide.