New Mühle R101 Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lyndon, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

I really like the Mühle R106, it is absolutely one of my most favorite DE razors. I liked it so much I thought I would get the black colored open comb version the R101. However, after a bit of surfing I found out the R101 uses the same "tooth comb" head as the dreaded R41. Doh!

The new razor should be here in the next couple of days. So I guess I should get ready for it...
    (1) Ample supply of styptic... check.
    (2) A big tourniquet, large enough to fit around my neck... check.
    (3) Emergency services programmed in speed dial... check!

In case I don't get through my first shave... it's been nice knowing you all. :)

Cheers, Lyndon

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I got my money on the razor. :happy102:

DLP and Slipperyjoe like this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have the r-41 and it's by far the most aggressive razor I have, but it's always given me great shaves, I'm sure you will be ok.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

It is far from a pushover but it can be tamed and when you do it will give you the best shaves you've had. I just faceturbated and yep, 'tis the best.

It took me a good two weeks to keep to get rid of the less than comfy feeling but even before I learned how to work her, it was the best shave I'd ever had.

Just faceturbated again and STILL the best. It's crazy really. :D

Just respect it and enjoy.

5. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

just take it slow and easy, no pressure, watch the angle, and you'll be fine...well maybe a nick or two...:D

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Muhle ??? I have the new and old 41R's use both. But I do have a complaint about the company saying the the new 41R is OPEN COMB . If you look at vintage to the 40's open comb and some of the new Merkur OC; the Muhle really isn't an OPEN COMB razor. Looking at the new 101 it isn't OC either!

battle.munky likes this.
  7. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

"Faceturbated" - Man, that cracked me up big time!! :happy102:

battle.munky likes this.
  8. battle.munky

I know, a bit mis-stated or poorly described. It is certainly a very loose definition of open combedness. I also wish they would have given it it's own model number too....

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeup!

If you don't like it, let me buy it from you so that I have a back-up!

10. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

It's not the same head as the "New" R41, bu the head used on the 2009 R41 which is much milder

11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I have both heads new and old. Once the new 41R came in the price on the old 41 dropped considerably. If it's the same head as the old 41 you might want to look to see if 'deals' are still out there on the 'old stock' and consider that option.

12. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Where does a one find a old stock R41???

13. battle.munky

Connaught Shaving had both but I don't see the old one offered any longer. You may have to do some hunting.

14. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Ditto!! I know the R41 is a love/hate razor, and I love mine! It is a very aggressive razor, but give the R41 the respect it deserves, and the shave will be the closest you will get next to a straight razor.

15. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

May the :yoda2be with you.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Hello guys have any of you used both the Mulhe new CC R41 and the CC R101(black resin handle)? The heads look identical to me,but theres like a $20 price difference on ebay between them..I'm just wondering if they both shave the same? Wish I hadn't hesitated when the heads were "VERY" briefly on sale for $16....Thanks for any help....:)

17. Codfish

Codfish Member

If you bought the R101 from a vendor in the UK, you may wall be getting a 2013 razor head. The 101 designation applies only to the handle, not the head.

The 2013 head is much better behaved, even though it is nearly as aggressive as the R41 2011 head. It has significantly less blade exposure, and is safer and easier to use. It no longer requires the intense concentration of the original '41.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well RAD has struck again :angry032: I had no intention of ever getting a Muhle R41 as the various descriptions of the shave aggressivness has led me to feel I wouldn't enjoy shaving with it... Also I felt the price at $60+ dollars was kinda high, especially for a razor I don't think I'll enjoy using..
    Then I missed out on the "VERY" brief sale of the R41 shave head alone for $16 + $9.99 shipping..
    Well I just saw on ebay a closeout sale for a Muhle R101($40 shipped) which as far as I can tell is a R41 shave head with a different handle, but is $20 cheaper!!:happy088: I just got the last one,now all I have to do is hope I can use it..:happy103: