The Haul: February 2014

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Neolithium, Jan 31, 2014.

1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I love mine. Bought one for my son a few months ago. He loves it as well. Have ya got any blades? I just received some NOS Valet blades in the mail today - and a Valet strop which just needs a little TLC before I will try it out. I could send you a few blades if you need them... :)
    TheHaul 2014-02-11.jpg

2. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

There were 2 Feather blades by the razor. I´m curious on how this razor will shave. Thought it would be heavier. It´s a lightweight but feels solid.

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

It's a joy!

ChiefShaver likes this.
  4. ChiefShaver

Here some pictures of the blade. Where did you buy your blades? Maybe i will come back to your offer,sending me a few blades.If i like the shaves,than i know more. ;) Thanks for offering that to me.

[​IMG]
    It´s a Valet out of the mid 1930´s. You see these 2 "bars"at each side? This is typical for a Valet out of this time. Earlier Versions had a channel to load the blade sideways (i hope i explained that right).

[​IMG]
    A very nice blade exposure...hope that it´s not that aggressive.

[​IMG]
    This is the "Feather blade"

RaZorBurn123, Bobcat and macaronus like this.
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I used the regular scent MdC today, and has shot to the top of my favorite soaps! I started with about 6 seconds of swirling the brush (SOC Pure Boar) on the soap, and then on to face lathering. It seemed that the lather just continued on and on - with each pass, I added a little more water to the brush, and BAM thick, rich lather with no more soap needing to be added. It was a thick, slick, full lather, and the scent was so soothing to me; hard to describe completely, but I could smell Lavender as the main scent, with an earthy, almost tobacco scent along with it. To add to the experience, I have found that the Lavender scent has continued throughout the day - not overpowering, just a nice sweet scent that lingers in the "background".

All on all, a great experience that I can't wait to have again. :)

Tomorrow I plan to try the Fougère and will share my thoughts on that soap, as well as the differences I find between the two.

Hope this helps whoever may be thinking about trying MdC. Through Jason's web site maybe a few people could get together and order a jar to split. If 4 people got together, you could each get 50g for about $17 each.

Ryan B, vwp528 and HolyRollah like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Chris, your experience with the scented MdC mirrors mine. Easy-to-lather soap that has a subtle yet refreshing herbal scent, and the lather from the brush continues for all three passes. You look at the puck after about twenty shaves and it still looks nearly brand new. You can see why the manufacturers claim one jar of 200g will last at least one year with daily use. :happy088:

Shamrock and vwp528 like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

The blades were a find on a Dutch site: marktplaats.nl. Since you're German you might actually understand the lingo. ;). And maybe they'll ship to Germany as well.

As for the 'slide-in' model, I've got one like that on its way at the moment. The one I have already looks a lot like yors, but has a closed bar. The slide in model accepts modified SE blades as well - reason why I bought it!

ChiefShaver and vwp528 like this.
  8. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I was amazed at how full the jar was to begin with - I had to check and see if it was a seal on the jar because it actually "crowned" above the jar. I saw a picture of a jar that someone had used daily for over a year, and it was just barely showing a ring/divot in the soap. I can see myself using this exclusively - alternating between the two of the MdC - for a month or so...well, maybe with a few other soaps thrown in here and there to mix it up. The soap really has impressed me.

9. blk05crew

blk05crew Well-Known Member

Found 2 matching 1952 Rolls' Viscounts.

First one.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Second one.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ChiefShaver

A very nice looking razor. Wow!!! Hope you will have much fun with this beauty.

11. blk05crew

blk05crew Well-Known Member

Thanks ChiefShaver, hopefully going to try it out soon! I need to pick up a VDH kit still though.

ChiefShaver likes this.
  12. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Not truly a "haul" as they were only out for honing, but it's always a good day when you get mail from Glen/gssixgun :happy093:

[​IMG]

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Second haul this week! Woohoo! :happy093:
    Wilkinson Sword Empire with two new blades (one in the razor and one in a wooden(!) container, still sealed. Looks totally unused, just some polishing, some stropping and go for it! Only the strop needs some more TLC. Looks like it has sat there folded up since it left the factory. I can't wait to try it out. But first some cleaning and some leather balm. :happy108:

Attached Files:

Ryan B, vwp528, RaZorBurn123 and 5 others like this.
  14. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

My first boar that cost more than $7 from Walgreens. Hope it gets here soon! :pri:

IMG_0844.jpg

Ryan B, vwp528, RaZorBurn123 and 4 others like this.
  15. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Very nice. Enjoy!

16. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

It's been a good February so far.

Some repurposed bamboo storage drawers, thanks to Tuesday Morning.
    IMG_4267 (800x239).jpg

Stetson Cooling Moisture Aftershave and Van Der Hagen Scented Luxury Shaving Soap (from my last trip to wally world).
    IMG_4255 (2) (800x529).jpg
    I've not had much luck with soaps (I've tried only Williams and VDH Premiere). I gave this a try today, and didn't care for it. I'll give it a couple more chances before I make up my mind.

A Crescent straight razor, manufactured in Germany. What caught my attention was that it was made for Hiener Hardware Company in Wheeling, WV (my home state). The store is closed, and I can't find anything about it online. I have some relatives there who are trying to find out some info for me.
    IMG_4266 (800x533).jpg

Finally, the piece de resistance (my apologies if I spelled that incorrectly): A birth-year Gillette Slim TTO. I may have paid a bit too much for it, but it looks like it's never been used. I can't wait to try it out.
    IMG_4264 (800x527).jpg

I'm waiting for a Star 3-piece, and that will be it for February (and probably March). I'm saving up, and backing off, so my wife will let me get a decent Fat Boy in April. :greet002: (It's only fair, since she's married to a decent fat boy . . . .)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Ryan B, JRod22, vwp528 and 8 others like this.
  17. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Sorry about not finishing my review on the MdC a couple days ago, but I work for the power company, and the snow storms caused us to be a little busy. ;)
    As noted earlier, the Scented MdC seemed to have lather that just continued on and on - with each pass I only needed to add a little more water to the brush for relathering. It was a thick, slick, full lather, and the scent was so soothing to me; hard to describe completely, but I could smell Lavender as the main scent, with an earthy, almost tobacco scent along with it. To add to the experience, I have found that the Lavender scent has continued throughout the day - not overpowering, just a nice sweet scent that lingers in the "background".

I tried the Fougere the next day, and while there are many similarities between the two in scent, the Fougere has a mint/green smell as well, without the woodsy smell I found in the Scented version. The lather worked just as well with little product needed to create that lather. The main differnce I found between the two was that the Fougere had a weaker scent to me, and didn't linger on my face the way the Scented version did.

I really like both of the soaps, but asked to choose between the two, I would select the Scented version over the Fougere, with the tie breaker being that the Scented has a slightly stronger scent, and lingered with a nice "background" scent throughout the day. Others might like the Fougere for the exact reason that it is slightly weaker and doesn't linger. Either way, I would suggest trying these soaps at least once in your shaving experience.

Do I need to say YMMV? LOL

18. ChiefShaver

19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

ChiefShaver likes this.
  20. ChiefShaver

Thanks Mike. Hope i like it. But for this price i don´t have any doubts. ;)

macaronus likes this.