Need Help Selecting First Straight Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Shamrock, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I'm looking at a few Str8's for my first, and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on these vintage razors:
    5/8 Le Grelot 193 Royal Canada
    5/8 Wade & Buther - Medium Size Hollow Ground
    5/8 Le Grelot 356 Pour Barbes Dures
    5/8 Boker King Cutter
    5/8 DublDuck - Goldedge
    Are any of these worth looking into as my first str8?

Thanks for any help

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

If your just starting. I'd suggest that you start with a Feather str8 with ProGuard blades. That way you'll know what it should feel like and you don't have to worry about hones and strops and etc.

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks for the info johnus - kind of looking forward to an actual str8 though. I'm using a Gem MM Clog Pruf right now, and would like to move into a blade minus the training wheels. I understand the cutting risks involved, but I also know there are rewards with success as well.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

If I had the choice of these three razors, which would be suggested for beginning?

5/8 Le Grelot Pour Barbes Dures
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    5/8 Le Grelot 193 Royal Canada
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Or
    5/8 Wade & Butcher Medium Size Hollow
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'd go for one of the Grelots.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks Oscar - any thoughts on which?

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'd chose the one you feel is in the best over all condition. For no logical reason what so ever I'd be leaning toward the Royal Canada. Use your best judgement and pick for condition, either should make a very nice shaving razor (actually all 3 are nice).

8. jbooth

jbooth Well-Known Member

Shamrock, you probably know this but, make sure you have it professionally honed by a trusted honemeister before use.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks jbooth, and that will definitely be the first thing I do. I don't want a bad razor edge to give me a bad experience and discourage me.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glen aka gssixgun here at TSD runs Gemstar Customs. He's done all my work as well as work for many members here. Great guy to work with; does excellent work. I've never heard a negative word.

GDCarrington, Shamrock and gssixgun like this.
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I've been PMing with him about the razors I've been looking at, and may just purchase from him instead if he has one he believes will work for a beginner. Thanks for the heads up :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. swarden43

:happy088:

Shamrock likes this.
  13. jbooth

jbooth Well-Known Member

Steve beat me to it. Glen is a nice guy, you're in good hands.

Shamrock likes this.
  14. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I've decided to buy my first str8 from Glen. It's a little more aggressive for a beginner, but I'm comfortable in my learning curve; also, having ventured into DE a few months ago, I have found that my face (and head) are very forgiving, and in fact, are much happier with aggressive razors. I have been using the SE Gem MM Clog Pruf the last week, and love the shave I get with that - no nicks, cuts, or irritation. I don't expect to go str8 exclusively for a while (if ever...i do love my small, yet growing collection of DE and SE razors) but I'd like to see if I like str8 razor shaving, and I thank Glen, and everyone else, for their help in getting me started on the right path. As always, especially with shaving, this will be slow and steady until I feel comfortable enough to shave with a str8 without the "training wheels" of complete focus on the act itself. I look forward to the time I can use a str8 in the way I do a DE or SE - simply shaving while using my mind for other things during the personal quiet time I've come to look forward to, and enjoy. :)

15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

For your next straight then, get the Dubl Duck, easy to hone, nice to shave with.

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Done deal - just purchased the Imp from Glen @ http://www.gemstarcustoms.com

Can't wait to see it in person...and then steady the nerves and test it out. :D

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks - not having used a str8 before, I'm not sure how the Dubl Duck measures up against others, but I'll have to look at it.
    I have a son stationed in Germany; we were talking about my newest addiction, and he said "I got it dad...look for vintage razors for you here in Germany" LOL. So I got that going for me...

I'm sending him a starter kit so he can join the DE/SE/Str8 addiction himself. :)

18. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

On a first I don't suggest vintages they inquire lots of quirk. I would rather suggest spending the money for a quality modern one. I promise you will not save money finding a vintage one!

I also have friends in Germany, it's much easier for them to find these type of items than the US. So if you have your eyes on a German cutlery product have him purchase it.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I appreciate the help Chris, but one of the pulls for me about Str8's is the idea of using something that is decades, and maybe a century or more old. I understand that I might not be saving money, but I'm actually OK with spending money on something that has history and craftsmanship to it.
    It's a little late anyway, LOL, I've already purchased a Red Imp from gssixgun, and have another str8 on the way from Sweden - a Hearting 151 H.Eicker & Söhne Solingen. I tend to jump into things with both feet - though the actual shaving will be slow and steady until I've learned how to use a str8 on my beard.

Again, thanks, I appreciate the input, and my son plans to keep an eye open for me in Germany.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  20. swarden43

I have 6 vintage and one modern. I paid roughly $15-$20 for each vintage, add $25 for a professional honing = $40 to $45. My modern was double that. I guess I'm not seeing the intent of your promise.

GDCarrington and Shamrock like this.