No longer a noob?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BIllyBowlegs, Feb 13, 2014.

1. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

Not sure if this question has been posted on the den or not, but what criteria does one base on not being considered or considering themselves a noob or not. I guess it could be another "YMMV" type of situation. I just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the topic.

Best Regards

2. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

The one year mark made me feel like a true dedicated wet shaver. That's just me though. It's like when your buddy gets a girlfriend and talks about how great she is and they have been dating for 2 months. Or my buddy got a guitar and was loving it for the 1st week. Haha. I think time commitment, and therefore experience are what makes someone what they are. And for me that point was a year.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I guess when people come to you for answers and when you can offer advice to others. There's some Zen in that: how do you become a teacher? - Find students!

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well said.

Tjebbe and macaronus like this.
  5. Proskuneo

Proskuneo Member

In Wicca initiates are cosidered for one year and a Day before entering a coven. That marks the point where the are no longer new to the craft :)

6. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

So it appears we have a premature consensus of one year

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Well I still consider myself a noob because I learn something new everyday. But I'd say one year of regular wet shaving will get you experienced.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'd say it is when you can generally get a good, nick-free, irritation-free shave.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto. I also add that you can do it consistently.

Sara-s likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dang! Just when I felt I had finally caught the train leaving Noobville, I go and nick my cheek last weekend with a straight razor. Looks like I needed a roundtrip ticket....:D

RaZorBurn123, tuxxdk, Ryan B and 2 others like this.
  11. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

You're a noob as long as you keep wondering if you're still a noob.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

On the other hand, you know you are a true shaving geek, when you can give useful shaving advice to a member of the opposite sex.

HolyRollah likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Agree.

Agree again.

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You know you're not a newbie when you're an oldb..:happy069:

GDCarrington and Sara-s like this.
  15. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Agreed and might I add - that you know _why_ it's consistent and good.

16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My criteria was consistently getting reasonably smooth shaves with no nicks, cuts or irritation due to faulty technique. It took me about three months meet those criteria with a safety razor, although my technique and shaves did gradually improve somewhat after that. If I recall correctly, my technique was pretty much fully developed after a year.

macaronus and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Bingo!