Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Grabbed a plastic bottle with a squeeze lid and added 2 tbs of castor oil, 6 tbs of EVO and a couple of drops of almond oil. I massaged it into my scalp and face and had a very nice shave.

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Sara-s
    Thank you for posting this. Thanks for the recipe.

Sara-s likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I tried a new scent recently- cedarwood & blue spruce. Very nice result.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  4. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recipe, found some lemon EO. My first go around with pre-shave. Now I feel like making a lemon merengue pie.

5. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hi @Sara-s

Ingredients;
    3 fl. oz skin-safe oil (such as olive, jojoba, grape seed, sweet almond, macadamia, etc.)
    1 fl. oz castor oil (this adds slickness)
    2 tsp/10 ml. essential oil or skin-safe fragrance oil (optional)

Wich one of the oils do you use? Or du you use a mix?

6. Deniz

Deniz Member

7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I have a question that I have to ask.
    I use a preshave myself (hair conditioner) and it seems to help. However I have to wonder, when I take a soapy brush and scrub my face, does it not strip the hair/skin of any lubrication oils? Does the soap not strip the oils from the skin? Thereby "undoing" all preshave efforts? As I said, I preshave and it seems to work but is it all in my mind? Common sense tells me the soap and brush "scrubs" off all my efforts. I want to think it helps and Im not just adding an extra step and wasting product for nothing.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This blurb explains the benefits of using PSO (my bold for emphasis):
    "Pre-shave oil helps keep your skin moist from your shave's start to finish. It softens your whiskers dramatically more than shaving soaps, creams, or gels alone and it does this without leaving your skin oily. Applying a small amount of pre-shave oil after exfoliating and/or washing your face with warm water and before applying your shaving lather or gel increases the likelihood that you'll avoid dragging your razor across your skin. As you might guess, this is because pre-shave oil works to lubricate the razor's path and eliminate razor-burn inducing friction. During your shave, the oil is largely removed by the razor, while the remainder is easily washed away post-shave -- so men with oily skin find it to be as essential a part of the shaving ritual as those with normal or dry skin."

I apply a PSO immediately after I step out of the shower, giving it time to soften my stubble and keep my face moist. By the time I've gotten ready to lather up, the PSO has had several minutes to 'do it's magic.' I find it provides additional protection and glide when using a straight razor.

swarden43 and Shamrock like this.
  9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I was thinking about adding menthol flakes.

So 3 part coconut oil, 1 part castor oil, but how much menthol should I add to be on the safe side that wont hurt me?

So you just apply it, and then lather over it?

Sounds so easy I have to try!

10. Proskuneo

Proskuneo Member

If you plan on using menthol crystals be carefull. :)
    I use them and you want to use at least gloves when preparing :)

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

That's how I do it tuxxdk; I apply the oil to my washed, wet, warm face (usually after my shower, but in the times that I shave without showering, I wash my face at the sink, apply a hot towel for a minute, then apply the oil to my skin) and let it sit on the skin while I prepare the soap etc. I lather directly on top of the PSO, and have found that it does provide an extra layer of protection against razor burn, and other skin irritations - in my experiences anyway.

tuxxdk likes this.
  12. tuxxdk

Sounds like something I'll look forward to try, once I get my ingredients from Amazon.

I'll note that when I start. But I'm wondering what will happen if I don't? And what if I don't touch the menthol, but use a spoon or something?

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I was using jojoba for a long time, but the price got too high. Right now I am using sweet almond oil. You certainly could mix them, though I just haven't felt the need.

14. Proskuneo

Proskuneo Member

If you wish to use them, I would put them in Propylene Glycol to dissolve them. But to do that you should crush the crystals. When doing that it creates menthol dust which is a bad thing to inhale :)

15. Deniz

Deniz Member

2 tsp essential oil seems like A LOT! The essential oils I use only require about 10 drops...

Am I missing something? I don't want to do it wrong.

16. tuxxdk

Hmmm, so not just mix a few flakes into the pre-shave oil and stir until they are dissolved?

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Like others, that's how I do it.

tuxxdk likes this.
  18. Proskuneo

Proskuneo Member

You could try it :)
    I don't know what liquids you can dissolve menthol flakes in. But be sure they are dissolved completly. Let us know how it goes :)

19. tuxxdk

I don't have any Propylene Glycol so at first I'll try with just the oils themselves. Do you know where I can get some Propylene Glycol without breaking the bank?

20. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

This Guy uses

Castor oil
    Olive oil
    Jojoba oil
    Grapeseed oil

Equal parts of each. He says they add different characteristics, is this not so? =P