Need Help Selecting First Straight Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Shamrock, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

Fair enough. That is exactly how I feel about it so definitely get it. Sure you will enjoy it much more with that outlook!

Was it a vintage gold dollar?
    Or maybe just my preconceived notion of expected quality for the money. Any of the renowned cutlery's of decent condition appear to sell at the bottom for around 85-100 and up. Assuming one did not happen to win a nice blade that went unnoticed. Assuming again the razor arrived in the true quality you were anticipating you then spend 5$ shipping+gas+time for honing, then the honing cost, shipping back you aren't coming in with cost disparity thinking first time first experience attempting to provide them with advice towards the best possible experience.

Some people may get misled on ebay and not receive the experience they should have on a first razor, possibly end in a dispute of unsatisfactory or unknown circumstances "all of which has happened to me". Anyone looking at it as heritage and pride obviously is doing it right and will really really enjoy the process finding quality vintages. For me I believe it's great and fine tracking and paying for a vintage as well as someone how Shamrock has expressed but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a vintage razor as a gift to someones introduction. That is the principle I shall give advice on until otherwise expressed the user feels differently. Everything however is an opinion and subject to scrutiny

2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I would suggest going with Whipped Dog. Larry will hook you up. And if you want a practice strop, Check out Star Shaving. I have used both vendors and would recommend them to anyone.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My mistake - my modern was triple. It is a Dovo Astrale Ebony, approx $130.

And I don't do ebay. All my vintage str8s were purchased at antique stores. The total of $40-$45 included the shipping charges, thank you.

If the vintage is a brand of reputable reputation - Boker, Torrey, Red Imp, etc. (I've done my research. Again, thank you), - and is in good condition, honed by a reputable hone-meister - Glen aka gssixgun - I would have zero problems with giving one as a gift as someone's intro into str8s.

Shamrock and GDCarrington like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    When selecting one's first SR there is another solution that is often available, in fact I believe Shamrock used it very well..

If you know of an actual "Expert" that say has restored 1000's of razors and honed 10 times that amount and that guy was a simple PM away so you could send him a message on a great forum like TSD and say "Hey brother, I found these 4 razors do you maybe have time to look at the pics and give me an opinion TIA "

Myself I would use that resource if I had access to it :cool: might improve your odds at getting a good Vintage razor

Hint Hint :p

swarden43 and Shamrock like this.
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

+1

Anyone looking at purchasing their 1st - or any str8 for that matter - and are unsure about what they're looking at (either WHAT it is, or whether it's a good price for said razor), Glen is the go-to IMHO. I am very impressed with his craftsmanship, and availability to answer any questions you may have...and if you just want to bypass all of the looking around for a good razor, simply get one from Glen on his site. Glen - he put the goo in goo-ru when it comes to str8s - I see where people even list razors on eBay with the notation "Honed by Glen" ;) :D

gssixgun likes this.