Bay Rum with a twist...

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Shamrock, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I really love the smell of Bay Rum AS, and TSD BR Cologne (the only BR cologne I've tried, but one I'm impressed with). While wearing the TSD BR Cologne I ate an orange, and found that I LOVED the combination of the 2 scents - it seemed to my nose that the 2 scents were made for each other, and has me wondering if anyone has ever seen a BR with orange essential oil, etc, added to it? If not, I guess I'll take a small sampling of the TSD cologne I purchased recently, and try adding orange to it.

GDCarrington and Speed like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ogallala Bay Rum makes a bay rum w/ orange and something else, maybe sandalwood? It's been a while.

Lime also goes wonderfully with BR. Og makes a bay rum-lime-peppercorn which is awesome and St. Charles Shave, at least used to, make (and may still) a very nice "bay rum w/ a twist" (lime).

edit: quick check of the website and it looks like Og is either out of stock, or doesn't make anymore, the BR w/ orange. But, you can always email them and ask.

Shamrock likes this.
  3. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I'll have to check that out. Thanks richgem

richgem likes this.
  4. Speed

Speed Member

When making Bay Rum Aftershave,Orange peel zest is a main ingredient. It is key to the mixture I believe.I zested the entire peel,let sit for two weeks shaking every day.No need for essential oil,the oils are in the zest.

178-bplatoon and Shamrock like this.
  5. richgem

You're welcome. Just be aware that if you get the og, you need to shake it very very well before use due to the generous use of (darn auto spell) frag oils in it. Failure to do so will result in the face on fire feeling that some seem to look for.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Shamrock likes this.
  6. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks for the heads up Speed - think I'll try taking a sample of the cologne and adding orange zest to it, then waiting a couple weeks to see how it works out for me.

That's really good to know - might make me think I was having an allergic reaction if my face had the "on fire" feeling from a cologne I wasn't expecting it from.

7. richgem

I'm not sure what crash pulls are (darn auto spell), but be sure to shake them too. ;)

Shamrock likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To my nose bay rum and oranges are what make up Florida Water. Just used TSD Florida Water soap for my shave this morning.

Speed likes this.
  9. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I'm going to have to revisit Florida Water then. On my original sampling, I wasn't crazy about the scent. Maybe it was just an off day for my nose.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I mix up three types of Bay Rum, Superior 70, Masters, and Clubman with a little (emphasis on little) lime oil and some glycerine to make my own lime bay rum A/S.

Chuck F likes this.
  11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    As always I'm happy to blend any of the fragrances I have (ie - Bay Rum and Orange) if a customer requests it.

If you add orange zest, you'll want to strain out the bits of zest before using the cologne sprayer. Otherwise they may clog up the sprayer tube.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. richgem

Sssshhhhh! Bits of orange rind stuck to your face is in this season. ;)

Sara-s and GDCarrington like this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I recently added menthol crystals to some Mehan's BR AS. Anybody do that?

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Rich, it is a good thing he was not thinking about a watermelon bay rum mix! :D

15. richgem

:rofl: But, now that sounds like a great drink!

Watermelon cat, however, does not approve. :(

[​IMG]