Prosaro shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaveO, Sep 6, 2013.

1. joshkamradt

joshkamradt Member

Hey i used that paraso red today and it preforms really good but before lathering in the tube it smelled like wet cloths that have mildewed. Has anyone else experianced the same thing. After i lathered it didnt smell like that but i didnt know if that was normal. Or should i return it and get another.?

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Couldn't you just pry the soap out of the plastic tub and put it in a shaving mug? As for the brush, resin seems like one of the better materials for the handle because it is waterproof and won't decay. I never did understand the rationale behind plastic soap tubs, as the traditional solution of soap cakes and mugs or scuttles is less wasteful and less costly.

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I love plastic tubs. I like how my brush loads with tubs.

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahaha good one. That wouldnt be fun =P

5. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Yes !!! I have bought some soap in a plastic tub , then removed it and put it into a stainless steel container. I would prefer wood or ceramic for a soap holder but metal is ok too.
    My current brush of choice and daily use is a badger brush with as solid turned stainless steel handle (heavy but OH SO beautiful and useful as a "blunt instrument" in case of burglars).

6. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I love Omega cream in a tub. It smells like a barber's shop in a tub and lathers AMAZING

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

A solid stainless steel handle? That must be heavy indeed - and durable. You are right about stainless being beautiful, though. There are an ever increasing number of artisans making stainless products for traditional wetshaving, and some are very well done. Those stainless razors and brush handles will likely be around thousands of years from now.

I used to work in a machine shop many, many moons ago, and we did a lot of work with 303 stainless. It is easy to machine and polishes beautifully to a mirror finish.

8. Omelmad

Hey

Might be stupid, but gotta know. Is it only the soap that comes in this container? I've seen picture of it and sometimes it looks like it contains a cream...

Attached Files:

9. mattyb240

mattyb240 Active Member

Looks like cream but it's not. Proraso is more of a croap (soap/cream). I'm a huge lover of the green stuff.

Wawmd and Omelmad like this.
  10. Omelmad

Ahh, okey. Thanks =)

One more question. You say it is more of a crop, does that mean it's soft? =P

11. mattyb240

mattyb240 Active Member

Yeah absolutely you can easily press it in with your finger.

12. Omelmad

Does that mean that it will end fast?

13. mattyb240

mattyb240 Active Member

Depends if you use if daily, how big your brush is, how long you load for. It will last longer then a cream tub but not as long as a hard soap :p

Omelmad likes this.
  14. Omelmad

You dummied it up for me, thank you =P I actually wanted to know if it lasts longer than a cream. And it does yaay

15. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

Just my two cents on proraso green. I have thoroughly enjoyed it as my entry soap. Extremely easy to get a great thick lather. The smell was intriguing to me at the start. a medicinal tone never struck me. I recommend it...worth a try at least

Omelmad likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like both the Proraso and the Cella, but maybe the Proraso a little more.

17. g-in-wc

g-in-wc Member

Bought the Proraso red container a couple months ago. No technical problems at all, loads and lathers nice. I do not like the smell, it's a medicinal/chemical smell. I was hoping for a Taylor of Old Bond Street sandlewood type aroma. I won't buy it again. For context, I like TOBS sandlewood, Bigelow green tube, Col Conk amber hard soap in that order.

18. azsteelman

azsteelman Member

I bought my first Proraso green today and also got their preshave cream. Quite an enjoyable shave, I have to say. Having never used it before it anything with menthol, it was a nice experience. Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Tdmsu and Omelmad like this.
  19. Omelmad

I liked the menthol too =) but have not tried their preshave cream

20. Wells1229

Wells1229 Active Member

I'll take Proraso red tub off your hands. To save it from the trash and I've been wanting to try it.