Proraso Green- New Formula Review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Ryan B, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Ok guys, Proraso is a very renowned product worldwide. Prior to tonight, I had only used the old formula of Proraso. I had disastrous results with it. Something in it made my face break out. I hope the new stuff is kinder on my face. If it's not, then I must be allergic to Eucalyptus. Well, here's the breakdown.

Price: 9/10. This cost me $10 from Bull Goose. It's actually my dad's but he let me try it.
    Quality: 10/10. There is a reason why Proraso is so loved.
    Scent: 8/10. It's pretty green, smells like Menthol with hints of Eucalyptus.
    Latherability: 10/10. This stuff lathers instantaneously.
    Efficacy: 9/10. I had real slick, cushiony, COLD lather.
    Moisturizing Properties: 9/10. My face feels pretty refreshed and hydrated; we'll find out if this cream is for me.
    Packaging: 10/10. It's a simple tube with green on it and it comes in a box, perfect.
    Would I Buy This Again: Most likely.

Guys, this is a pretty cold cream. It's not the coldest thing known to man, but you will know it's there. If you are wanting to get into menthol, this or the Proraso White is a very good place to start. It's mainstream only because it's a solid performer. I still like my Palmolive Menthol more, but this did alright.

ohpaos likes this.
  2. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

It gets pretty cold by the 3rd pass for me. I love it!

crackstar and Ryan B like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I knew you'd like it - would Dodi ever steer you wrong? ;)

ohpaos and Ryan B like this.
  4. Ryan B

No way! That's why you have such a high spot in the Menthol Mafia. ;)

ohpaos and crackstar like this.
  5. Ryan B

Well I gave Proraso Green a fair shot, but it's not for me. My face is still breaking out in certain spots, so I might be allergic to eucalyptus.

6. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

This is my go to shave cream. I love the stuff. But all I have to compare it to is Williams Mug Soap (which I don't mind at all) and Barbasol Aloe Goo.

7. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I had such a reaction to Proraso that I had to go to the hospital. It must be the eucalyptus because I'm not allergic to menthol. I stay away from all of their products now.

8. crackstar

Oh no..........:( I'm so sorry to hear that.

9. Ryan B

It's alright gents, I still have my Proraso White, Palmolive Menthol, and I'm sure I'll find another menthol cream/soap of my liking. The breakouts will end in a couple days, I think I'll use my Mike's Barbershop and avoid Proraso green like the plague.

BigT likes this.
  10. crackstar

Wow, I never realized the stuff was so rough on you. :( :ashamed001:

11. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Lately, I've been trying to use up my Proraso green tub I got a while ago when the new formula came out. I love the feeling and the scent, especially the splash. Now I realize my face breaks out quite a lot when I use it all. I want to narrow it down to the soap and pre-shave if possible because I love the splash so badly I would be very sad if that was a cause factor as well. It might be the Eucalyptus I am reacting to but I can't be sure. It doesn't seem to be the menthol as I have other mentholated products that do not cause this. I've read other people complain of similar issues. Did anyone with this problem ever found out what it was?

12. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

Although I prefer the soap to the cream, Proraso is my all-time favorite shaving product.

13. Ryan B

Same with my dad.

crackstar likes this.
  14. crackstar

I noticed that the new formula of Proraso Green cream seems to have a slightly different scent than the older one. It seems fresher.

15. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

unfortunately I had the same response to it. I loved it for about a week, then I realized it was the cause redness and break outs in spots. I have had a clear face all my life until this. It is a fantastic soap if your skin gets along with it and I highly recommend it. I think I need to buy prorasso white just so I can still use one of their products.

16. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

It is really interesting that many have a bad reaction to proraso green. I have pretty sensitive skin, and have to be really careful what I use on my face. I was nervous about using proraso soap, but it hasn't given me any problems. I still want to try the proraso sensitive. I would also like to try out the old formula proraso green soap

17. crackstar

I'm using it tomorrow morning for my Menthol Monday Shave.

18. ekf1204

ekf1204 Member

Picked up the C.O. Bigelow from Bath & Body Works this weekend and used today for the first time. Love the menthol feel!

19. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Reading these posts about Proraso irritating skin make me thank my lucky stars I've never had a product do this to me! I'm not sure I could make it without my Proraso!

The_Dude_Abides and crackstar like this.
  20. I'm looking at breakouts from a different angle....negate the variables. Is your prep the same, clean sharp blade, no leftover mung on the blade, you've alcoholed the razor after use, you've let one product DRY before applying the final,balm....