TTO vs 3 piece

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

This may have been asked before, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of a TTO vs a 3 piece? Say it's the same razor, same company/quality and there's an option of heads. Thoughts?

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

With TTO I'd say it's easier to change a blade, but there are more to break.

3-pieces are more simple.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Yow... such a simple question, but kinda hard to answer. It is a little difficult for me to break the "shaving experience" (if you will) into 3-pc vs TTO. I see the main difference as how you load the blade. (I give TTO a marginal safety advantage, but not a big deal).

Once you load the blade, the rest comes down to the razor's overall design, your technique, and the whole shebang topped by individual preference! I'm gonna guess that the guys can easily fill up a four category list by dividing TTO vs. 3-pc into "like" and "don't like."

I might like to see that four-square, though!

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

For me, a 3-piece is more manuverable because it has less of a profile. A 3-piece razor also has a greater range of angle adjustments. That translates to a closer shave, but that's just me.

maltedmilk likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Totally subjective but tto just don't work with my face angles.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I started out using a TTO, first a Feather Popular, then a Gillette FatBoy and finally an EJ89 3 piece with a Weber BullDog handle...The 3 piece in general has a thinner head and also gives you the ability to change handles(and so change weight,length,diameter and knurling) on your favorite shave head which the TTO can't do..(this is what first attracted me to a 3 piece and I.M.O. can make a "BIG" difference in your shave quality)...
    But I think rather than it being a question of quality or advantages/disadvantages of one style of razor over another, it's more a matter of personal preferance as to which razor is best for you....:) Just for the record my favorite TTO is the Gillette 48-55 Aristocrat/Diplomat...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    CyanideMetal and maltedmilk like this.
  7. toidbb

toidbb Member

I am split down the middle, I do love the ease of loading of the tto, not having to hold everything and hoping you don't drop or cut yourself with the wrong grab. And the smaller profile of the three piece.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have several of each. All give great shaves. Comes down to personal preference.

And no, I don't have a preference.:p

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like the three piece best, but TTO's are OK. My advice is get both. Why not?

10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have several of both kinds, ( RAD ) but prefer the 3 piece because of the smaller profile. It just works better for me. YMMV.

11. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Like others have said- a 3-piece DE design will be able to cut more cleanly due to the lower head. Theoretically at least... I don't think an EJ will cut as cleanly because it's head is higher and it's cutting angle is bigger and more scrape-y than a Lord l5 or Tech... A TTO is more fragile, easier to load. A 3-piece's threads can be stripped however. When I had my Lord l5 and black handle SS I always reached for my SS. The Lord gave better shaves but it felt cheap and I didn't like the inconvenience of disassembling it.

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Since both are very easy to load. You can get an aggressive razor in both TTO and 3 piece. Um. It's personal choice. I have a bunch of both. The 3 piece is easier to clean.

13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have both. In prefer using my TTO Gillette D/E, over my Weber 3pc D/E . Now maybe in the next couple of weeks or so, I might change my preference. I like my Weber 3pc. W/Bulldog handle. it weighs almost double than any of my Gillette D/E Razors do. :shaver

14. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

I like them both quite a bit actually. I also get equally good shaves out of both. Aesthetically there is something more attractive to me about the simplistic design of the 3 piece. The 1920's, gold plated, open comb, ball end techs are some of the most beautiful razors ever
    mass produced in my opinion.

15. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I prefer TTOs, as they are slightly kinder to my face. However, it's hard to beat the maneuverability of a 3-piece.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think one of the more obvious benefits with a 3-piece-razor is that you can swap out the handle easily.
    With a TTO you're 'stuck' with the same handle.

17. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

My preference is the TTO. I had a number of 3-piece razors and disposed in favor of the vintage Gillette TTOs. The head size/thickness has not been an issue for me.

18. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

swarden43's thoughts mirror mine.